kids and guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

kids and guns

Post by bakamorgan »

I don't have any kids...yet. Though some people as traditions like to plant a tree when they have a kid and I think theres some other ones. I know when I was born my parents planted a Christmas tree and then cut it down to use once I got older. For my younger brother I think they did something else.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe get a gun whenever I become a father. The only thing is that I would like to give it to my kid once they get old enough, but also at the same time be able to use it in the mean time. :roll:

I was thinking maybe a 1911 of some kind, but not sure. Thought maybe I would ask you guys and see what you think or at least get some other ideas.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: kids and guns

Post by 20cows »

You'll be able to hand the kid a 22 at a younger age than the 1911.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

That is very true. I currently have 2 rifles that are in 22.(bolt and semi) and a couple 22 pistols(single and double action) already. That I could easly cop out and give him but also didn't want to do that.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine idea, bakamorgan. How about a nice little Rossi model 92 in .357? Just be ready to shorten the stock when he gets about 10 years old (or earlier if he looks properly interested...)
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it's special to let them pick their own new gun.

Last edited by bdhold on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

When I was about to be born into this world, my Dad stopped at a gunshop on the way to the hospital. He bought a new Rem 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge to give to me someday. He figured I could hunt anything, play any target games or defend myself and my family. So whether I became a hunter or not the gun would be useful. When I was 7 I was told the story and shown the gun which my Dad used on that pheasant hunt. The next time I got to go hunting I was 10, and Dad gave me the gun that day. It is one of a handful of guns I will never part with.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know it's not a 'levergun', nor is it 'traditional' - but thinking of what is going to be PRACTICAL, and likely harder and harder to get...

Get a collapsable-stock AR-15, seriously. :shock:
  • You can 'grandfather' in a lower NOW for around $100, if short on cash, for one thing.

The gun can be adapted to .22 LR for a nice 'kids' gun; costs about $100 or so and slips in the gun to replace the bolt/carrier group - swap takes maybe 30 seconds to do.

The .22 LR also serves grownups as a 'plinker' or 'survival gun', for you now, or them later.

The gun is one of very few a 6-8 year old kid can put to the shoulder PROPERLY; most so-called 'kids guns' have youth stocks that still wind up under the armpit, whereas the collapsed AR stock is perfect.

The gun is indestructable, even for a kid - especially tough sights, and muzzle protected by birdcage. Nice to have a gun you don't feel obliged to 'cradle' every time they shoot it.

With .22 LR, there is essentially no recoil, and barely any noise to induce flinching.

In fact, if you want a really flinch-free setup, you can put a suppressor on it for their first shooting lessons.

The unusually-high sights are actually perfect for a kid, because they don't have to scrunch down unnaturally to see through them.

They see THROUGH the peep sights, and learn to shoot far more easily that way than with 'open' sights.

The gun has an incredible 'cool' factor for a kid.

It can be 'graduated' back to .223's as the kid gets older (or .300 AAC Blackout... :wink: )

It could ALSO be life-saving as a practical urban-survival tool if times get really rough.
There are lots more choices in terms of 'traditional', or even 'cute' categories, but personally, I'd get the kid(s) AR-15's, and later on, pick their OWN handguns, since handguns are more a 'personal' choice. Grandpas or whoever can get them the traditional single-shot .22 or .410's, but having that AR as a 'core' gun for their later years would be really cool.

(Just so folks don't think I've left Levergunville and moved to EBR-ville, I also think that by the time they leave for college, they should also have a .357 levergun and matching revolver, too... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I would say that if you are wanting to get them a handgun that a Ruger Single Six 22LR/22Mag would be a hard gun to beat. As to a long gun . . . I would say a rifle in 22LR would be a must. It is inexpensive to shoot with no recoil and the fundamentals of shooting will need to be learned before progressing to a larger caliber. I would want it to be in something other than a semi-auto as it would encourage marksmanship and not just pulling the trigger and hammering away.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
bakamorgan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bakamorgan »

These are great ideas guys thanks for all the info.

Funny you should mention Ruger Single Six 22LR/22Mag rusty. That was the first pistol my dad gave me LOL Came with another cylinder called it a convertible I believe. I think my wife is going to take that from me since she likes shooting that one...trying to get her into more shooting so I can buy more guns, but shes just not catching the bug(yet).
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I bought a 452 CZ .22lr kid size gun on he loves it now.I gave it to him at age 7.I felt he was mature enough to
shoot the gun.I feel some kids are mature enough to shoot as early as 4 but some I wound'nt give a gun until their
teens.Every kid is different and a good evaluation is necesssary.Be patient with them and give them the gun when
they are ready not you....
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The day Y2K was born I went out and bought a Red Ryder BB gun. I wanted the receipt to have his date of birth on it. It now hangs in his room along with mine from the late 1960's, and his grandfather's (my Dad's) from the early 1940's. All three work! :D

For his first Christmas - 6 months old - I gave him a .22 rifle, a bow, and a sword. I knew he would not be able to use them for years, but if anything ever happened to me, I wanted his "firsts" to be from his father.

My goal has always been to build him a collection that made a lot of sense, varity-wise, so that he can learn and enjoy them as he grows up, and will have at least one gun for every year of age by the time he is an adult. I'm a bit ahead of schedule right now! :D