My New Maynard Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

My New Maynard Levergun

Post by Alphawolf45 »

This is a Maynard replica. Civil War era .50 caliber breech loading percussion cap fired cartridge carbine .I bought the rifled barrel blank and nipple and rear 3 leaf sight and then made everything else myself..Fun to shoot..I like to imagine I could shoot a deer with it but I have no where to hunt and nobody to hunt with so it wouldnt be much fun anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My New Maynard Levergun

Post by C. Cash »

Wow! :mrgreen: That is beyond super cool.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That's pretty neat. You did good work on it.

Many many summers ago I had the chance to shoot an original. The owner made his own cases on a lathe, then loaded them and seated the bullet or ball I don't remember which. He sealed the flash hole with a small dab of wax if I remember right.
It was a fun little rifle to shoot.

I hope you get a chance at a deer with it sometime. Should be a fun hunt.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Thankyou CCash, I am working up interest in civil war era breech loaders, I may well try to build a Burnside or a Smith or something else..Theres about 20 different ones a guy could work his way through and end up with a fun gun to use blasting enemy milk jugs and such...

Joe Miller Dixie gun works sells the brass for bit under 6 bucks each..I bought 5 thinking that'd be enough initially to play with and get the dimensions off one in order to turn some for myself....But really thats a lot of work and the brass is priced dearly so wouldnt be saving much money..I will order more if I need them rather than make my own....I've never seen a Maynard in person, built this one from single drawing in a book and several dimensions a forum member gave me.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Too cool for words. Very neat. Thanksnfor sharing
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I wish I had 1/100th your skills. Incredible!!! 8)
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Very nice work there my friend! :mrgreen:
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Wow! What a neat project. Thanks for taking the time to share that.

Eric
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Great work! That is übercool!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I wish I had 1/100th your skills. Incredible!!! 8)
+ 1 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Using ones own toys (machines) to build more toys is pretty satisfying way to spend leisure hours..Take into account that I am working without set of plans nor an authentic example to copy..That increases the degree of difficulty..And the total body of work that a hobbiest can complete is mighty small as compared to a man working in the business...So given my relative lack of experience I am grateful that folks think enough of my efforts to give the compliments that I've received here...Thank you guys. Youre a lot of good fellows, I am proud to be a member here. :D
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

That's amazing alphawolf. I would think that it would be more difficult but have you thought of doing something like a Lemat revolver? Your skill is awe inspiring.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Did someone say Spencer(rifle version)? :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

RustyJr wrote:That's amazing alphawolf. I would think that it would be more difficult but have you thought of doing something like a Lemat revolver? Your skill is awe inspiring.

RustyJr
RustyJr
The Lemat revolver holds no appeal to me however at one time I was hot to build a Colt single action army or one of its close cousins. And recently I got hold of an old Colt double action revolver. Studying it I see no machining setups that would seriously slow down a reasonably experienced machinist... But,but,but sheesh every one of these projects require hundreds of hours of spare time. Impossible to complete more than a relative few such projects in an entire lifetime..I already have some half finished projects I'd like to finish and not seriously planning beyond that.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Very nice! I've long admired Maynards and have been tempted to get one of Romano's replicas.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Once again... awed. That's gorgeous!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Alpha - see My post "Maynard BP" I don't know how to do a "veiw topic".
Yours looks a little better than Mine. I would have to do a little tightening up to shoot Mine.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

pwl44m wrote:Alpha - see My post "Maynard BP" I don't know how to do a "veiw topic".
Yours looks a little better than Mine. I would have to do a little tightening up to shoot Mine.
Perry
Perry
You think my brand new Maynard only looks a little better than your rust etched original? Dang, beauty IS in the eye of the beholder ain'it? ;-) ..Anyway,anyway, yours is worth substantially more than my home made gun, I will agree to that much...

So, didja get some Dixie brass and try it? Locks up tight with the brass in place or no?...The tiny .040 dia hole in breechface has to align real well with the even tinier hole in bottom of the brass . That alignment will change if brass has thicker'n usual base or the firearm is worn loose..
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Okay, I don't think there is a word to describe how much better Yours looks than Mine. Of course Your New one is going to look better than My 150 year old one. I will have to get some Brass to see how it locks Up then. Right now it is pretty loose. I would Love for Mine to look like Yours but that aint gonna happen, You done a fine Job.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 110% cool factor
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

pwl44m wrote:Okay, I don't think there is a word to describe how much better Yours looks than Mine. Of course Your New one is going to look better than My 150 year old one. I will have to get some Brass to see how it locks Up then. Right now it is pretty loose. I would Love for Mine to look like Yours but that aint gonna happen, You done a fine Job.
Perry
You do have a real handsome carbine . My project would have been far easier if I had yours to borrow the dimensions off of...And I think you may find yours locks up tight enough to shoot once you put a brass into the chamber to take up that space between barrel and breech face.
A guy was telling me that he drives a rod down into his brass to push the back of the brass out a tiny bit to seal better against the breech face of his old Maynard..That seems a better method to shoot a slightly loose gun than modifying the receiver.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Boreman wrote:BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 110% cool factor
You have good taste Boreman :D Hehheheh Thankyou.