Bought another!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Bought another!

Post by Mainehunter »

I received a phone call just the other day from the gun shop where I bought the Remington 141. The previous owner wanted to know if I was interested in another rifle that he had and it was his favorite. I went to his house late yesterday and when I first laid my eyes on it, AGAIN I just had to have it.

A Remington 14 in 25 Remington! Comes with dies, brass and bullets. Right now I’m feeling stoked! 8)

Mainehunter :wink:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Bought another!

Post by Dave »

Very nice!
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Excellent taste you have in the older ordnance, the accessories make it a really nice score too. Those early Remingtons are a marvelous display of craftsmanship.

Looking forward to the range report.
:wink:
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

PaperPatch wrote:Excellent taste you have in the older ordnance, the accessories make it a really nice score too. Those early Remingtons are a marvelous display of craftsmanship.

Looking forward to the range report.
:wink:
I'm hoping I can get out to the range here soon and try out some loads. There's a box of ammo that came with it and looks like Hornady round nose bullets. The bore looks like it needs a good soaking but the action is oh so smoooooth.

damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That is nice!!!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Next best thing to a levergun. Congratulations! :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

IS that a carbine? Regardless im drooling big time
And all the goodies with it oooooh my :mrgreen:

ollogger
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Love your rifle! You have great taste.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Very cool. :mrgreen:

I almost bought one online last night, but right before I pulled the trigger I thought to take a peek around the web for .30 Rem dies. Wasn't too thrilled with what I saw price wise so I held off.
Slow is just slow.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great find!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Interesting weapon there. Looks nice. A question for those of us who are not familiar with 141s. Is that a take down?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

If I remember correctly that twisted magazine tube design allows for use of spitzer bullet in the magazine without fear of chain fire. I remember seeing just the tubes for sale on the Numrich arms website and wondering if that tube could be adapted to a Marlin 336 to also allow for use of spitzers in the 336. Hmmm. Just brain storming. :wink:

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

ollogger wrote:IS that a carbine? Regardless im drooling big time
And all the goodies with it oooooh my :mrgreen:

ollogger
I don't think it's considered a carbine by Remington's standards, just don't know. The barrel length is 22" and they did make them in 18.5" but I don't think in that caliber.
cas wrote:Very cool. :mrgreen:

I almost bought one online last night, but right before I pulled the trigger I thought to take a peek around the web for .30 Rem dies. Wasn't too thrilled with what I saw price wise so I held off.
Yeah they are pricy but I see used dies pop up on Ebay or Gunbroker a few times at half the price. Brass is still plentiful, so far. My wife’s uncle has one in 32 Remington and he wants me to load for him so I'll be necking up the 30 Remington brass for it.
Alan Wood wrote:Interesting weapon there. Looks nice. A question for those of us who are not familiar with 141s. Is that a take down?
Yes it's a take down and I think all of them are.
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:If I remember correctly that twisted magazine tube design allows for use of spitzer bullet in the magazine without fear of chain fire. I remember seeing just the tubes for sale on the Numrich arms website and wondering if that tube could be adapted to a Marlin 336 to also allow for use of spitzers in the 336. Hmmm. Just brain storming. :wink:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:If I remember correctly that twisted magazine tube design allows for use of spitzer bullet in the magazine without fear of chain fire. I remember seeing just the tubes for sale on the Numrich arms website and wondering if that tube could be adapted to a Marlin 336 to also allow for use of spitzers in the 336. Hmmm. Just brain storming. :wink:

What I have been reading as of late the spritzer type bullets don’t cycle well causing miss fires and jamming. Even though the tube mag is designed to handle it, for some reason it’s a problem and the suggestion is use only flat or round nose bullets and keeping the COL as close as possible.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When your on a roll, let the cash flow, don't snooze! :D Nice snag. Very seldom seen caliber to which I never did have the chance to play with.

It oughta eat those 117 Hornady's like a horse on sweet feed. :D ------Sixgun

Let us know the shooting results as I'd be interested.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh boy, that's a nice looking rifle, Mainehunter. And that "receiver mounted tang sight" (or whatever you would call it) adds a lot.
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:If I remember correctly that twisted magazine tube design allows for use of spitzer bullet in the magazine without fear of chain fire. I remember seeing just the tubes for sale on the Numrich arms website and wondering if that tube could be adapted to a Marlin 336 to also allow for use of spitzers in the 336.
Here's the deal on that Ji (and other folks interested): near as I can tell that spiral tube was just a marketing ploy so the Remington folks could say "and see, the bullet is forced off to the side so the one behind doesn't rest on the primer ahead" as though that was a real problem in the lever actions that were made by the competition (Winchester and Marlin). My bet is that Remington never did say anything about this enabling the use of pointed bullets: that was just something some gun writer assumed and wrote it without trying it. Yeah, I read the same thing Ji and was looking forward to using nice spitzer 87 and 100 grainers.

What happens is that you can't get a cartridge loaded with a pointy bullet to load in the magazine. Nope, the spiral flutes are so effective at causing the cartridge to slide slaunchwise in the magazine that the tip of the bullet wedges itself over between the magazine follower and the side of the magazine and jams there, part way through the loading gate. At least that is what I have found with one 30 Remington and two 25 Remingtons that I have tried loading for. With the 35 Remington, however, you can get them to load. You have to hold your mouth right and be a little patient and you can get them in. And they work just fine (I've been using the 180 grain Hornady spitzer in my 35 Rems).
cas wrote:I almost bought one online last night, but right before I pulled the trigger I thought to take a peek around the web for .30 Rem dies. Wasn't too thrilled with what I saw price wise so I held off.
And you only need the 30 rem full length size die for the occasional full length size. I happily use the 30/30 seating die for bullet seating and a 300 Savage size die for neck sizing when loading for 30 Rem. And when I got a 25 Remington I didn't even try for dies: I use the 250 Savage dies for reducing the 30 cal neck of 30 Rem brass down to 25, and use it again for neck sizing thereafter. The 250 Savage seating die seats the bullet (I don't have a 25/35 or I'd use those dies most likely). The 30 Rem size die will act as a "body die" when I want to do a full-length size on the 25 Remingtons. (Us old Scotsmen are know to be "frugal" don't you know). So if you can't find a good deal on eBay you can buy the sizing die alone for about $60 (I think I got mine from MidSouth or Graf's).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

earlmck... Sounds like you have been working on the 25 Remington for a while now. What I have been reading most guys are shooting jacketed than cast. What's your take on that and do you mind sharing a load or two of your favorite cast load? Thanks!

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Mainehunter wrote: do you mind sharing a load or two of your favorite cast load?
I'd be tickled to share 'em if I had any. The bores in my two are so rough I'm not sure I'm going to get success with jacketed, let alone with cast. A couple of discouraging range trips and I then allowed myself to get diverted off the 25 Remingtons temporarily. Also it was so dry here this summer my buddy who has the good range with shooting bench has been afraid of us shooting there for the past 3 months, which is another reason my load development has suffered.

We got a little moisture here today: I hope I have reports to make sometime in the next couple of months! I've got some of the Hornady 117 roundnoses and some of the Sierra 90 grain flatpoints to play with before I make any try with my one 25 cal. casty.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

earlmck wrote:The bores in my two are so rough I'm not sure I'm going to get success with jacketed, let alone with cast. A couple of discouraging range trips and I then allowed myself to get diverted off the 25 Remingtons temporarily.
That's too bad on the bore condition. So far the amount of scrubbing has been done, the bore is looking better and better. The lands are looking a little sharper and well defined. Just towards the breach though it's still looking a little ruff but I think it'll scrub out I'm hoping.

It's interesting to see that you are using 250 Savage and 30 Remington dies to make 25 Remington brass. I have quite of collection of dies but never even thought of combining to make other brass, makes sense. Even though the rifle came with the RCBS dies I do have a set of 250 Savage dies from Lee.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.