Ruger 77-357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Ruger 77-357

Post by Blaine »

I had never heard about this one. Short 18.5" barrel, 5.5lbs light, five shot rotary/detachable (no loaded rifles in vehicles in Washington). Weatherproof, and ugly enough to throw around as a knock-around. I like 8)

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger 77-357

Post by pwl44m »

Blaine ! I looked at that pic from every angle and every corner, almost stood on My Head trying to find the Ugly factor. It just did not appear. I like it, It's Slick ,Sleek and just plain cool and in a very Popular Caliber. The only thing I can think of that would make it more appealing would be a Wood Stock.
I like ,-- is there an MSRP ?
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I have seen them - like to have one.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

pwl44m wrote:Blaine ! I looked at that pic from every angle and every corner, almost stood on My Head trying to find the Ugly factor. It just did not appear. I like it, It's Slick ,Sleek and just plain cool and in a very Popular Caliber. The only thing I can think of that would make it more appealing would be a Wood Stock.
I like ,-- is there an MSRP ?
Perry
829$$, which should put it into the 600 and something range.... I don't mean Ugly is bad....it just isn't deep blue, and dark walnut.....My best guns are ugly :lol: My beautiful ones, I hate to take out and bat them around in this nasty, wet climate we have in hunting season around here.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

We have sold a couple but never see them come back. Dittos for the 44 Mag. Typical Ruger quality.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jeff Quinn did a story on the both of them. I'm seriously thinking about one in .44 Mag. They have a 1:20 twist which would be great for the heavy weight bullets.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The .44 Mag one is almost identical to the rimfire 77/22 version, and I'm sure the .357 one is as well...I think that the .44 Mag may even weigh less than the .22 LR (depends on the stock it is wearing).

Put a New England Custom Gunsight peep on the rear Ruger mount, and it's a peep-sighted, rain-proof outfit for rainy-day-deer...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My friend has the .44 mag one. Very nice and a good shooter.
:D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My older friend thats the 35 REMINGTON nut has gotten one of these !

His 77-357 is the stainless synthetic and after that he got himself a 77-44 thats blued and walnut !

Since then he decided he needed the 96-44 and now he's kinda got me looking for a decent Ruger 44RS . If it weren't my grandfathers I have a 44RS that I'd most likely sell him !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I'll stick with my Navy Arms 1892 and Marlin 1894 in 357. Bolt guns just don't interest me that much.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:Jeff Quinn did a story on the both of them. I'm seriously thinking about one in .44 Mag. They have a 1:20 twist which would be great for the heavy weight bullets.
So do the 96/44 lever action ones... 8)

Oddly enough, though they both have the nice flush-fit 4-shot magazines, the 77/44 and 96/44 magazines don't interchange. No big deal though.

I just wish they made the 77/xx and 96/xx series in other chamberings, like .45 Colt, .44-40, .32-20, maybe even .327 Mag, and (of course), .480 Ruger.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:

I just wish they made the 77/xx in other chamberings, like .327 Federal and .480 Ruger.
Both of those would intrest me !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'd get more excited about one in .45 Colt or .454 Casull, but I've always thought they're really nice.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

olyinaz wrote:I'd get more excited about one in .45 Colt or .454 Casull, but I've always thought they're really nice.

Oly
Having seen the .44 mags, I wonder if the .45s are a hair too wide to fit in the necessary circle?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Having seen the .44 mags, I wonder if the .45s are a hair too wide to fit in the necessary circle?
I've been tempted to disassemble a magazine myself and see if it would be possible.

I just converted my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag to .45 Colt, so you can tell where my thoughts are headed... :wink:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A 96/.32-20 would be sweet! I couldn't see it happening though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

A fellow shooter here in Australia has a Ruger 77/44 it's bore was ruined got his gunsmith to fit a .357 barrel on it and chambered it into a 357 Bain and Davis looks the goods!
http://www.australianhunting.net/index. ... ic=81062.0
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nicknack wrote:A fellow shooter here in Australia has a Ruger 77/44 it's bore was ruined got his gunsmith to fit a .357 barrel on it and chambered it into a 357 Bain and Davis looks the goods!
Can't access that - you might have to post a pic from there for us to see it...

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nicknack wrote:A fellow shooter here in Australia has a Ruger 77/44 it's bore was ruined got his gunsmith to fit a .357 barrel on it and chambered it into a 357 Bain and Davis looks the goods!
What a great idea!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll bet these are stout-for-hell.....Hot 180 hardcast would be a nice 100 yard, or better, death ray....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

A fellow shooter here in Australia has a Ruger 77/44 it's bore was ruined got his gunsmith to fit a .357 barrel on it and chambered it into a 357 Bain and Davis looks the goods!
This is Short & Fats posting on Australian Hunting Net quoted as he posted it.

I finally got the latest Short and Fat wildcat home for xmas.

OK so the story is I had a nice Ruger 77/44 and I stuffed the barrel, so its been out of action now for about 2 years, I had the barrel removed and have been slowly looking for alternatives and options.

I was a bit limited with the Ruger rotary magazine and bolt face already at 44 Rem mag size so I searched high and low for my options.

Now Con had just completed his 458 B&M on his Stainless Ruger 350 Rem MAg and he had his as new 350 Rem Mag barrel sitting at home collecting dust. We got talking and I did a bit of sniffing around and came across the 357 / 44 Bain and Davis, which was a popular conversion in the USA for .357 Revolvers.

So for mates rates Con handed me the stainless 350 barrel, it needed the old chamber cut off and a bit of thinning down around the knox form and barrel profile was close, it would work, so I set about turning the 44 into a 357/44.

I posted a wanted ad on the AR Forum in the USA and a nice fella over there said he'd send me a reamer for nothing all I had to do was look after it and send it back when finished.

I also got one of our resident US forum members to buy me a set of dies out of the US as well and send them over.

While the Gunsmith had the metal work, I stripped the stock back and oiled it, now that was a pain in the butt, the clear coat on those Rugers is stronger than steel.

Got the phonecall a week ago, it was ready, and with a bit of work it fitted in well, even got the factory Ruger wording on the barrel on top and it looked like a standard factory issued rifle. It's light and topped with my old faithful Japan 2-7 tasco world class, balances very well.

I form the cases by running standard 44 Rem Mag brass into the full length die, it swags it down to 357 and puts a gentle shoulder on the case, it's really that simple, the case needs a mild trim because it grows in length

I have shot off about 10 rounds and it's a bloody noisy bastard, recoil not noticeable, I'll do some load development over the XMAS break but I think 27g of 2205 behind the 125g Hornady XTP will be the load of choice. I'm guessing a velocity of 2450fps out of the 20.5 inch barrel, a trajectory similar to the 22 Hornet, and good to 150/175 meters

The new rounds feed slick out of the Ruger rotary magazine, all in all a very easy change over and will make a thumping fox gun over the summer and a nice introduction to big bores for the boys.

Here's some pictures for you guys to look at
IMAG0152.jpg
IMAG0154.jpg
IMAG0157.jpg
IMAG0158.jpg
IMAG0159.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Man that rifle came out great.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Here's a link to a 357 "buy it now" for much less than the list price mentioned at the start of this thread...

Ruger 77 357 on GunBroker

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There aren't many mid-range (really 'low-range' by today's power levels) rifles out there these days. The pistol-caliber ones, and .22 Hornet and .223's are about all you see, and it seems like bolt-gun makers feel obligated to use bottleneck cartridges and the maximum power they can squeeze into whatever size action they make.

I guess along that line, maybe Ruger would be interested in barrelling some in .357/44 B&D - it wouldn't require anything other than a different barrel, and I think [?] they could just use their stock .357 barrels and re-chamber them. Since it's a bottle-neck maybe they'd sell. :wink:

Of course today's market treats .30-06 like an underpowered has-been, and .30-30 must be some kid's toy, so that doesn't help matters much. For me, not much is more fun than a good bolt action or lever action or breakopen action or pump action (if I had one) rifle in a 'pistol' caliber.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've shot the .44 version. Never actually run into the .357 model though I know it exists.

Some law enforcement types in the south have had a company build integrally-suppressed barrels into the .44 model for heavy subsonic loads to put down deer and other game quietly (roadkills and nuisance animals) so it looks like a standard rifle, but it's packing a 300 grain load without hardly any noise.

I'd actually prefer an aperature sighted .44 model to a lever, having owned the '94 Marlin equivalent. Both are handy, and an iron-sighted bolt gun is just as fast if not faster. Loading's easier too.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

They should go ahead and make these in 35 Rem too. And maybe some other short rifle cartridges.

The .357 Mag one would be very handi though.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I would be more interested in the .357 Maximum caliber.

I wonder what the maximum action length is on this gun.

Problem with the detachable magazines is the actions can not be opened up for longer than standard COL.