This EVIL THING reared it's head again and NOW I'm over it !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

This EVIL THING reared it's head again and NOW I'm over it !

Post by 6pt-sika »

For about the uhmpteeth time in the last FIVE years I've gotten an intrest in the AR platform AGAIN !

And once again the Stag Model 7 in 6.8 SPC intrests me as well as the Alexander Arms AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel .

And as always the units that intrest me are those I DEEM acceptable for deer hunting !

The Stag Model 7 in 6.8 SPC .

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=314

The Alexander Arms in 6.5 Grendel .

http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Rifles ... Rifle.html

Now I'll more then likely not get one but who knows !

I'm in the process of liquidating some other firearms in anticipation of a long awaited trip back to the Philippines . So if I get another $1000-1500 more then I need I may just take the jump into the world of EVIL FIREARMS :lol:
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This EVIL THING reared it's head again !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Incidently I have one semi friend that owns a Stag Model 7 and I've shot it a fair amount . The thing was okay with factory ammo and it seems to me with handloads I could make one shine . Actually I have a semi friend and a friend that have Stag's in 6.8 SPC although the friend has a more tactical version .

Also have a friend that just recently got a nice Alexander Arms rifle in 6.5 Grendel .

Then there's my retired sheriff buddy that had an upper in 6.8 SPC built by a custom builder out in Arizona . And an attorny friend that had an upper in 6.5 Grendel built by the same guy in Arizona . I have seen groups fired with BOTH of the custom built uppers that were .2 MOA or better . Saw the custom 6.8 shot at 350 yards and the 3 shot group measured 1.5" 8)
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Go with the 6.5! It's magic! :lol:

Seriously, the SD is better ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Go with the 6.5! It's magic! :lol:

Seriously, the SD is better ;)

You don't need to extoll the virtues of the 6.5mm's to me I'm well versed in that :lol:

But I've liked the looks of that Stag Model 7 for several years now and the price is also very good compared to the 6.5 Grendel !
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I guess because I mostly hunt pigs in dense forest where shots are up close and personal the AR platform (Tromix) in 50AE appeals to me. :mrgreen:

http://www.tromix.com/Sledg_spec_frame.htm
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

That 6.5 Grendel (or .264 Les Baer - take your pick) is a FINE round and I love the way it shoots. Nothing wrong with the 6.8, but the Grendel (or Baer) has more powder capacity and just outdoes it in my view. Alexander Arms really does seem to make a fine rifle (an Army buddy has one and it's pretty daggum sweet), but there are other folks who can build you a 6.5 or .264.

http://www.lesbaer.com/264LBCAR.html

Or for something different, how about an AR-15 in .24 WSSM?

http://www.accurate-ar15.com/

Some pretty good ballistics!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

olyinaz wrote: Or for something different, how about an AR-15 in .24 WSSM?

http://www.accurate-ar15.com/

Some pretty good ballistics!

Oly
Had a friend that had a custom built AR upper for the 243 WSSM and it shot very nicely . He also killed a pickup truck load of deer with the thing before he decided to sell it !

He had me considering getting one in a 25 WSSM at the time !
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

.300 blackout!! .300! Blackout!
Uses the same mags and lower receiver as the 5.56.
Start with the .300 upper, swap barrels back down to 5.56 and you're good to go! :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Panzercat wrote:.300 blackout!! .300! Blackout!
Uses the same mags and lower receiver as the 5.56.
Start with the .300 upper, swap barrels back down to 5.56 and you're good to go! :D
I see no future what so ever in me getting a 300 Blackout or a 223 .

Nothing against them , just not my cup of tea .

To me the 300 Blackout is only usefull if I do the subsonic thing and I ain't worried about that anylonger .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This EVIL THING reared it's head again and NOW I'm over it !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I'm over the AR thing again and it only took 72 hours this time !

I got a Ranch Dog 411-255GC mold today and it's got my intrest up again for a 411-444 Marlin .

So the score is something like ,

Me - 7

AR's - 0
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I only ever had the "AR Bug" once... and that was because a guy I knew had an M4gery that he needed to sell for quick cash.

I had that rifle for about 18 months.

Nice rifle, typically accurate, utterly boring.

Of course, that was before Pistons & fun uppers, but still... it's not hard for me to bypass them.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Shoot a DAEWOO.
Learn what rock and roll is ALL about!
Buffboy knew!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The only semi auto I currently own is my Ruger 10/22. As much as I love my Garand design firearms being a handloader made it difficult to concentrate shooting my Mini-14 while trying to mark the places where the brass was landing in the grass. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: This EVIL THING reared it's head again and NOW I'm over

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

COSteve,

Without a doubt, yours is the best looking EBR I have ever seen. I would probably have one of my own if they all came like that. But then again, there is that find-the-brass game after shooting which would really bother me.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

-6pt-sika I was toying with a AR purchase also and it was briefly. As far as a bad times/combat gun I figured why buy an other gun my Model 94 Winchester 30/30 rigged with scout set up and a red dot sight will do nicely and won't cost me much to do that I already have two dot sights laying around doing nothing and seeing the Lyman front scope set up gave me ideas how to do it reasonably. It will also make my 94 just a bit handier and I do have a peep sight and a fiber optic front sight on it already. WI does not have the varmint hunting opportunities that other states do we cannot even shoot ground hogs unless they are on your own property. For any varmint chores I have a Henry 22 Mag. That will suffice for 22 cal purposes. If I bought one it really would not fill a niche. As far as the 30/30 goes used brass is cheap and plentiful and I cast my own so I can load a lot for pennies and I already have the gear. If I had an AR in 223 I probably would not load for it which would just be an other added expense. Not knocking the round I have had it in a handi rifle and a Encore platform but like I said WI is not very opportunistic for varmint hunting. If I ever won one I would not turn one down and I had thought about building a lower and then buying upper parts as I could afford them but that really would depend on the election. I think if zero wins AR parts and guns will be very hard to find just if nothing else the threat of a ban.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:Evil! Does this AR look evil?

Sure it's evil :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jh45gun wrote:-6pt-sika I was toying with a AR purchase also and it was briefly. As far as a bad times/combat gun I figured why buy an other gun my Model 94 Winchester 30/30 rigged with scout set up and a red dot sight will do nicely and won't cost me much to do that I already have two dot sights laying around doing nothing and seeing the Lyman front scope set up gave me ideas how to do it reasonably. It will also make my 94 just a bit handier and I do have a peep sight and a fiber optic front sight on it already. WI does not have the varmint hunting opportunities that other states do we cannot even shoot ground hogs unless they are on your own property. For any varmint chores I have a Henry 22 Mag. That will suffice for 22 cal purposes. If I bought one it really would not fill a niche. As far as the 30/30 goes used brass is cheap and plentiful and I cast my own so I can load a lot for pennies and I already have the gear. If I had an AR in 223 I probably would not load for it which would just be an other added expense. Not knocking the round I have had it in a handi rifle and a Encore platform but like I said WI is not very opportunistic for varmint hunting. If I ever won one I would not turn one down and I had thought about building a lower and then buying upper parts as I could afford them but that really would depend on the election. I think if zero wins AR parts and guns will be very hard to find just if nothing else the threat of a ban.

Look I don't buy stuff for the same typical reasons that most folks would .

When I say I want one of these things it's purely to just play with it awhile and possibly kill a deer or two .

As to doomsday and all that stuff it doesn't have anything to do with what I want to play with . I understand you using a practical attitude toward the whole thing and thats certainly and acceptable way to do it . I on the other hand don't typically take that approach .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Steelbanger wrote: But there is that find-the-brass game after shooting which would really bother me.
I got that one figured out already !

They make these cute little catcher bags that hook on the side of the EVIL RIFLES . And at the range in the past with other peoples AR's when I sighted them in , I would use a cardboard box kinda leaning against the ejection port side to kinda contain the flying brass .
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

6pt-sika wrote:[I would use a cardboard box kinda leaning against the ejection port side to kinda contain the flying brass .
Oh Oh - I'm getting visions of Red Green with a roll or two of duct tape and a huge box. Now that would spoil the look of even the prettiest AR.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Steelbanger wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:[I would use a cardboard box kinda leaning against the ejection port side to kinda contain the flying brass .
Oh Oh - I'm getting visions of Red Green with a roll or two of duct tape and a huge box. Now that would spoil the look of even the prettiest AR.

Who cares at the range :wink:

Now the nice little camo net bag would be more better if I'm sitting high up in a tree in the woods waiting for the poor unsuspecting deer to walk by :lol:
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

6pt-sika wrote:
jh45gun wrote:-6pt-sika I was toying with a AR purchase also and it was briefly. As far as a bad times/combat gun I figured why buy an other gun my Model 94 Winchester 30/30 rigged with scout set up and a red dot sight will do nicely and won't cost me much to do that I already have two dot sights laying around doing nothing and seeing the Lyman front scope set up gave me ideas how to do it reasonably. It will also make my 94 just a bit handier and I do have a peep sight and a fiber optic front sight on it already. WI does not have the varmint hunting opportunities that other states do we cannot even shoot ground hogs unless they are on your own property. For any varmint chores I have a Henry 22 Mag. That will suffice for 22 cal purposes. If I bought one it really would not fill a niche. As far as the 30/30 goes used brass is cheap and plentiful and I cast my own so I can load a lot for pennies and I already have the gear. If I had an AR in 223 I probably would not load for it which would just be an other added expense. Not knocking the round I have had it in a handi rifle and a Encore platform but like I said WI is not very opportunistic for varmint hunting. If I ever won one I would not turn one down and I had thought about building a lower and then buying upper parts as I could afford them but that really would depend on the election. I think if zero wins AR parts and guns will be very hard to find just if nothing else the threat of a ban.

Look I don't buy stuff for the same typical reasons that most folks would .

When I say I want one of these things it's purely to just play with it awhile and possibly kill a deer or two .

As to doomsday and all that stuff it doesn't have anything to do with what I want to play with . I understand you using a practical attitude toward the whole thing and thats certainly and acceptable way to do it . I on the other hand don't typically take that approach .
Money is the major issue on most of my thinking or purchases .For the record I had at one time a SKS and an Egyptian Maddi AK I traded the SKS in on the AK big mistake the SKS in my opinion was better. I think the AR is a lot better platform then those two but I sold the AK and the next purchase was the 94.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I've had the 300 Whisper in a bunch of single shots, as well as AR uppers, and while I love the round, it bored me right away in the AR. I think I shot it twice before I sold it.

I have a 6.5 G for hunting which I will finally take in the woods this winter. Some people talk magazine capacity with the 300 vs 6.8 vs 6.5, but hunting I'm only allowed 5 rounds in the gun anyway, so it doesn't factor in.

My 50 Beowulf was by far the most fun AR I've ever owned/shot, but it was a tad spendy to feed.

Mescalero wrote:Shoot a DAEWOO.
Learn what rock and roll is ALL about!
Buffboy knew!

DAWOO's are cool… almost bought one this spring. But BREAK a DAEWOO and learn what searching for parts is all about. ;)
Slow is just slow.
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

A few times I think I need an AR. But, I always know I want a Sharps fitted with a .444 barrel.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

6pt-sika wrote:
Steelbanger wrote: But there is that find-the-brass game after shooting which would really bother me.

They make these cute little catcher bags that hook on the side of the EVIL RIFLES . And at the range in the past with other peoples AR's when I sighted them in , I would use a cardboard box kinda leaning against the ejection port side to kinda contain the flying brass .
I use them at the range all the time.

Old picture of my RRA Middy before I lightened it up showing the bag. Works well.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

COSteve wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:

I use them at the range all the time.

Old picture of my RRA Middy before I lightened it up showing the bag. Works well.

That's the thing I saw and thought would work great !

I "think" I saw them somewhere in green or brown or camo and thought that might be a touch better to use when up in a treestand . But worse come to worse I could get two of the black ones and cut one a little short in the bag part as it would only need to catch 5 cases tops .

I may one day get a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC or possibly a 243/25 WSSM . But it'll be entirely for the fun of working up a load or two and then wacking some poor unsuspecting deer . And typically after I kill a few with said rifle I kinda loose intrest and wanna try somthin else :roll: