Call for help for a fellow levergunner

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Call for help for a fellow levergunner

Post by Borregos »

earlmck wrote:I haven't sold many guns but I regret every one, at least a little bit. And some a lot!
+1

In the mail today.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

DixieBoy,
On it's way to you.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I need the address too if someone could.

FWIW I was reading in a magazine that they used to sell around here called "Y'all" that one of the state universities in Miss. has a course or courses in Southern culture and customs. I would consider that one of the few college level courses I'd like to take.
That couldn't be very liberal to my way of thinking.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Rusty wrote:I need the address too if someone could.

FWIW I was reading in a magazine that they used to sell around here called "Y'all" that one of the state universities in Miss. has a course or courses in Southern culture and customs. I would consider that one of the few college level courses I'd like to take.
That couldn't be very liberal to my way of thinking.
pm sent to ya friend! :wink:
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Count me in, please send the address. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

jazman wrote:Count me in, please send the address. Jim
You got Sir! :D
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

madman4570 wrote:
jazman wrote:Count me in, please send the address. Jim
You got Sir! :D
On the way, wish it could be more. Jim
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

Count me in as well. Could you pm me the address? God bless you dixieboy.

sargemarlin
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Larry Madman4570, earlmck, Blaine, OI, and all the rest of you guys. I want to let you know that today (Thursday, Oct. 25) I received the first five envelopes from members of the crew here. The words thank you don't even come close to saying what needs saying. You guys are not just helping me keep my beloved Marlin 1895, but if there is left over I have decided that it's going into the U-Haul and gas fund. Unless heaven above opens up and drops a decent job in my lap (hey, I'm as much an optimist as anybody, but I'm not holding my breath on that) ... well, I will take anything that may be left over and gas up the Ford, rent a U-Haul and get my butt to Texas.

Today I found that I'd missed another teaching job opportunity out there, and I can't pretend any longer that the biggest obstacle for me in landing one of these positions is the fact that I'm not there ! It's a fact that there is more work in Texas (teaching, and all other types of work) than we have in Florida, especially where I live. And it's much easier for a hiring guy/gal to take you seriously when they can see you in the flesh.

I know I'm overdue for that one break I've needed on the job front. Maybe it will come here in FL, but if it doesn't come shortly after the election, then I'll be doing a Jed Clampett. "Loadin' up the truck, and move to ... Texas." I will stay in touch with all of the crew here. To those of you who have turned your generosity my way, and given me this show of faith (along with helping me keep one great Marlin 1895) I want you all to know that you have my lifelong gratitude. For most of my life I have not made a tremendous amount of money, but I covered my bills, and was able to extend some generosity where I felt it would do some good. With things being so much more "lean" for me this last year, what you all have done to lend a hand has just about choked me up. Like I said, "thank you" barely scratches the surface. I will keep the gang posted, and you all who have written me will hear from me personally as well. Thank you guys. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Glad to hear things are taking a positive turn. I think you are going to be alright in 25 or 30 more years :lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Godspeed Dixieboy! Texas will be gaining a great teacher!!

And madman - you're a very good man.

In fact, as we can see here, once again, the board is full of em.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Godspeed Dixieboy! Texas will be gaining a great teacher!!

And madman - you're a very good man.

In fact, as we can see here, once again, the board is full of em.

It is all about (you guys)---you guys are absolutely (the best) :mrgreen:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Hey there, Dixieboy -- I hear Florida is starting their early voting. You can get your vote in and get a move on! I'm sure Texas, or New Mexico, or Arizona will be more job-friendly than Florida.

And I guess you shouldn't rule out Oregon. I thought since we were the most depressed state west of the Mississippi there was no use looking around here. But I find out that since nobody can find a job in this state a lot of folks have gone back to school. Local community college is busting at the seams. Apparently we do have one growth industry here -- teaching. So if you end up out this way, drop by. You'll find some familiar looking stuff in my reloading room!

Anyway, enjoy that rifle: got to be looots of good ju ju in that one. :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

Howdy Earl - Yes, the schools have been filling up for a few years now. Given that I was teaching right up until last summer I saw some of the folks who were giving "more education" a try, in an effort to become more employable. Nothing wrong with that, but one thing that I used to see that always amazed me. I knew when I went back to school in the late 90's through early 2003 (I went back with half of the credits for a measly little A.A. degree, then put the pedal to the metal to get a master's in 2003) that studying history was not exactly what most folks would consider a great job choice. But I had faith that I would be a great teacher and be noticed. You all know my tale of woe, regarding political correctness/left wing takeover of the schools, and how that ended up with me being shown the door last year. But okay, I still know there are places that haven't gone completely left wing where I can find a spot.

What I could not figure out was when I'd meet adults, sometimes people close to my age (50's) and they'd be talking about studying anthropology or something similarly dismal as far as job prospects go. You expect kids to go that route, and hopefully there are parents at home to straighten them out on that. I used to tell the kids to major in something where they knew they could find work, like the medical field, criminal justice, something along those lines. Then, if they're passionate about something a bit more "esoteric" they could always minor in that less employable area. They wouldn't trap themselves in a useless major that way. But you'd still see these folks who wanted to major in a field even tougher to find work in than my field was, history. I even had students who'd enjoyed our classes so much that they told me they wanted to be history teachers. I always tried to gently discourage them, solely because I did not want to see them struggle to find work forever. And here in Florida, we are one of the foolish states that only wants public school (K-12) teachers with these idiotic "education degrees." For me, that means more than a year of even more school, and then you still face the PC gauntlet.

This is one of the major attractions of the Texas schools to me. They actually want teachers who are degreed in the field in which they will teach. YES ! That is exactly how it should be, and how it was when we were kids. One of several reasons that we actually learned something back then. Anyway, back to Texas - if I end up landing a job in a high school I certainly won't turn up my nose. I can always scope out the comm. colleges once I'm in something steady. Or, land a part time setup at a comm. college and teach fulltime in a high school during the day. I worked 2 jobs, and during the summers, 3 jobs, for much of the last ten years. The biggie that has me excited is that there are places still here in the US of A where I'm not a dinosaur just because I am also a conservative white guy. This gives me hope. I'm also getting advice/input from a number of guys about where I might want to be (and where I might NOT want to be) in Texas, as well as some of the other southwestern states. But you know what ? I think I might be soon approaching a point where it's more important to just DO IT, and make the long overdue break. At the same time, I recognize that there is not endless money for me to move and re-situate multiple times if I choose poorly with my first move. I guess this is my long winded way of saying that I'm trying to get it right the first time. I can't afford to choose poorly and then pick up and go somewhere new, etc. This is why I'm going blind lately on the computer, trying to learn about a bunch of these areas, making notes, making notes of talks I've had with folks ... so that I get it right with the first move out of here, if that's what it's going to be.

Whatever opportunity comes my way first, I will keep the gang here informed. I will be sticking around to vote in November though. I've been volunteering a few hours several times a week with some of the Romney folks. Figured that I could help the country out, and network a little bit on my own behalf too. I've committed to doing a bunch of stuff to help right up until the election. Not to make this political, but I can't help but think that a whole lot of folks who are either unemployed or under-employed are going to have much brighter prospects if this election goes the right way. I base this on conversations with hundreds of business owners who I've spoken with here locally, while trying to land a real job for myself. If businesses can look forward to a situation where they're not dreading new taxes and regulations we'll see them begin hiring again, and the job picture improving for a whole lot of folks. Good for everyone.

Hey, I'm rambling now, which is what happens when I'm getting really pooped. I will stay in touch, count on that. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.