I JUST GOTTA STAY OUT OF GUN SHOPS!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

I JUST GOTTA STAY OUT OF GUN SHOPS!!!!!!!

Post by rbertalotto »

Wandered into my local gun shop and a beautiful post 64 (1978) Winchester 94 carbine in 30-30 was on the rack. Great wood and excellent finish except for a slight bit of rust pitting where all these post 64 model 94 rifle get it. on the bottom of the receiver where ones hand would be when carrying in the woods. (I wish folks would wear gloves... :lol: ) I paid $375

I plan on having it bored and chambered for 38-55, my new found favorite cartridge.

I'm going to have the receiver stripped and case colored if I can find someone that will perform this finish on these actions.

I'm gonna get one of those ankle braclets that gives me a shock when I walk into a gun shop....... :o
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I JUST GOTTA STAY OUT OF GUN SHOPS!!!!!!!

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been doing the Cold Turkey/withdrawal thing, for the last 18mos - at least as far as gunshops are concerned, if not gunshows...................... :roll: :roll:

It helps that a couple of different LGS owners got me PO'd... :oops:

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

i know the feeling, I am as bad as a hard core Alky who cant even go to a restaurant for fear of falling off the wagon.

Everytime i talk to one of my shooting friends, they bring up something cool i "need" --- whether it is another Encore barrel, or a jungle carbine, or a levergun, or anything else under the sun.

This site doesn't help much either :lol: but at least the talk seems to be equal parts hunting and practical application of our guns, so i can bear it :D
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rbertalotto wrote:I'm gonna get one of those ankle braclets that gives me a shock when I walk into a gun shop......
I'm sure my wife would go in on a group-buy. . . 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sounds like a good buy, grats. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got the affliction as well as I just looked on my firearms listing and found out we've bought ten (10) new firearms since April, 2011! I also added up the cost of all of it and I've spent a ton of money on firearms in the last 19 months. :shock: :o

Don't get me wrong, I love every single purchase we made but I didn't realize how many we'd added in just over one and a half years. In order they are: 1.) a 1954 Correct Grade HRA '06 M1 Garand, 2.) a NIB Springfield NM Mil-Spec 45acp 1911, 3.) a 1950 Leupold Scoped '06 Winchester Model 70, 4.) a NIB .223 Savage Model 10 bolt gun with a Nikon Monarch 4-16x56 scope, 5.) a NIB Springfield .308 M1A with NM Sights, 6. ) a NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine, 7.) a NIB 12 ga Remington Model 870, 8.) a NIB 30-30 Mossberg 464 w/Walnut pistol grip stock (finally another levergun), 9.) a CMP Special Grade 1955 '06 Springfield M1 Garand, and 10.) a 1959 unfired .308 Winchester Model 88 with Redfield base, rings, and Revolution 3-9x40 scope. :D

The AO M1 Carbine and the Special Grade M1 Garand were purchased so that we could retire our pristine NPM M1 Carbine and HRA M1 Garand which have become so valuable we felt it was wise to retire them to my son's collection. However, that isn't all we spent because one must add all of the reloading equipment additions for the 3 new calibers (.308 and 30-06 with 30-30), all the reloading components for them, and of course there are associated firearm extras such as scopes, mounts, cases, slings, mags, cases, etc.

So far the wife has only rolled her eyes because she knows that these are for my son too but I think I'm right there at the edge of her patience. :lol:

However, there's a gunshow next weekend that my son and I are going to. I know I need a few odds and ends but just between us girls, I've got the itch for another levergun, that Uberti Special Sporting '73 rifle length in 45 Colt that I've mentioned here that I love the look of. I have a friend who will be at the show and he's selling some leverguns from a couple of recent estates. I'm not planning anything but if I were to find a deal on one ......... :wink:
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I also know the sickness :)

There's a perfect condition Norinco SKS with bayo and everything sitting on the local pawn shop rack that keeps calling to me... $300 - which is a fair price. Not a steal but it keeps calling, calling. :shock:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Congratulations! I've said it many times before, but most of these very late '70s to '80/81 or so, right before USRAC, were really nice guns. Certainly the best of the "Post 64" period, I almost give them their own period--"Late 70s" or "Pre '80.". To me one of the best kept secrets out there. Winchester had finally made inroads to bring the marque back, with better bits and pieces, wood selection and quality of fit/finish that, if not meeting Pre 64 levels, at least attempted to harken back to them. They'd figured out at least some of the "receiver finish thing"--certainly better than earlier "Post" examples--went to a cast lifter, and better blue'ing and maybe some intangibles. The second I say this, I'll get barraged with those citing their extremely pitted receivers (meaning much more than the OP's) "no better than other Post 64's," etc, and I'm sure they're out there, but for the most part they're a major cut above the early-mid "Post" period, and worthy of admiring.

Not too many years ago, one of my favorite LGS's had no fewer than six of these '78-80 guns all lined up--reminded me of the Sheriff's office in one of the TV shows--all pristine (must've been from one customer). They looked so good, not even a missing sight hood, I thought they were being sold as a set. Worse yet, they were reasonable prices. I so wanted to give them all a new home--mine!- "Just because" - on principle. Had no use for six of these, having two very decent examples of their ilk in addition to a passel of Pre 64s already. But that's way it goes isn't it? :) Alas, I didn't have nearly the funds, and couldn't really justify even one, and let them all go. In the bigger scheme of things, part of me wishes I would have figured a way - just becasuse - you can never have too many of these things!
Last edited by gak on Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, but we all need a little excitement in our lives and the standard gunshop visit provides that/.

What will keep you real broke is when the gunshop owner calls you first with the "good stuff" and then offers it to you for the pittance he paid for it.

You know what they say,..........gun rich and cash poor :D Thats OK, we only go around once.--Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:What will keep you real broke is when the gunshop owner calls you first with the "good stuff" and then offers it to you for the pittance he paid for it.

--Sixgun
My guy knows i have an affinity for later Colt D-A's (Pythons, Troopers, etc etc) --- i have bit a few times but have lately had to let him know i am on hiatus until i finish a house i am building

---- he doesn't offer them to me for a pittance though, :x :? merely gives me the first shot at them if i am interested
----- Doug
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

OK....I'm a Gunaholic and the first step is to admit it!

This week I bought the previously mentioned Winchester 94 AND I bought a Uberti 1866 Yellow Boy in 38-40 from a fellow in Florida. It will be here later this week.

Last week I bought one of the new Winchester 94 "Sporters" in 38-55. Beautiful rifle with Octagon to Round barrel....Oh baby!!!

The week before I was driving up to New Hampshire to pick up a Lyman Ideal "Mini Sharps" in 38-55 and because I was early for our meeting, I stopped in a little gun shop on the way. Sitting there was a beautiful 1889 Marlin in 38-40............Had to have it!

The week before I was looking for an H&R Repro Trapdoor Carbine. A guy in PA calls me and says he has that rifle AND a H&R Trapdoor "Officers Model"........He offered a "special" deal on both of them..........Gotta have em!

A couple weeks before I found a Winchester 92 (Japan) TAKE - DOWN in 45LC.......SOLD! and the very next day I see on the internet the same rifle in the extremely rare 38-40...........What could I say...Gotta have it!!!!

And I could go on......but it would just be more embarrassing.

Pictures to follow
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Went yesterday - couldn't decide :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

My wallet just hates it when a gun starts talking to me. Fortunately it doesn't happen much these days as I've gotten very picky over just what guns I'm willing to buy. But if a Marlin 1894 CBC in 38 Special was to show up, it'd be speaking volumes to me.
Last edited by 44-40 Willy on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: It's the Classified Forum that's killing me.... :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Someone said "Sheriff's Department"??

Nothing newer than 1894 here!

Could be a fun game identifying them.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i am slowly heading to the kitchen---time to make some popcorn...uugggggghhhhhhhh... :O
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I can id. a few in the pix but its no doubt a great herd :mrgreen:

ollogger
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

rbertalotto wrote:Someone said "Sheriff's Department"??

Nothing newer than 1894 here!

Could be a fun game identifying them.
Pretty good start ya got there. :P
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

That's great!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

rbertalotto wrote:I'm going to have the receiver stripped and case colored if I can find someone that will perform this finish on these actions.
That period receiver may need an iron plate in order to properly case color. Though it would probably take a chemical color without it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I just spoke to the folks that are the experts on case coloring these receivers. The "Firing Pin LLC"

They say they have perfected a method to do it and sent pictures that look excellent.

After I get the barrel bored and rechambered to 38-55, I'll send it to them.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I GOTTA STAY OUT OF THE CLASSIFIED SECTIONS ON THE INTERNET ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found this beautiful 1893 Marlin for $435.00!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it is only an hour and a half away from me...............SOLD! ROAD TRIP!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Roy - I think you posted your pic in the wrong thread.

Shouldn't it have been posted in Jim's "What I Did In Church Today" thread ? ;)

:mrgreen:

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

rbertalotto wrote:I GOTTA STAY OUT OF THE CLASSIFIED SECTIONS ON THE INTERNET ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just found this beautiful 1893 Marlin for $435.00!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it is only an hour and a half away from me...............SOLD! ROAD TRIP!

sounds like your going through a pretty serious binge period -- cool !

Your going on a drunk, except substituting leverguns for booze and loose women :lol:
----- Doug
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Nope......purely financial!

I see firearms as a much better long term investment than stocks and bonds..........and you get to play with them! A very high "Fondle Factor" if I say so myself!

I'm watching pre-1900 rifles prices go through the roof in the last year. There is a finite supply........that always means there is some type of investment opportunity there.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks like that 93 is a very good investment

nice gun

ollogger