New York, CT, NJ questions (travelling there)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

New York, CT, NJ questions (travelling there)

Post by Streetstar »

I have heard horror stories about travelling through NY with firearms and how it is a "no-no" ----

I am travelling there to work - leaving tomorrow - i will be assisting my company with handling flood insurance claims ----

Since a handgun seems to be out of the question because i will be in and around Long Island a lot -- can i take a pistol caliber levergun? OR are there any restrictions on having a semi-auto rifle with me?(one of my Ar-15's) ---- or would taking a hunting oriented rifle be more in line ---- (30-30, small bolt rifle , etc. )

obviously i am sure they would frown on carrying anything around loaded --- so i am not sure why i even bother, but i have never travelled without a firearm of some sort (but i've also never had to go to NY either)

---- anyone know of any rules against spring -assist pocketknives also? I have been using one of these for a while and love it, but can leave it at home if the state is too lib-tard for those even
----- Doug
Levergunner 3.0

Re: New York, CT, NJ questions (travelling there)

Post by 1894 »

Yep , handgun is definitely not something you want to risk getting caught with.
Long gun ( shotgun or levergun ) may be OK , but cased , in the trunk , ammo separate , and all that. Semi -autos have some strict rules regarding features and magazine size.
Spring assist knife , you don't want to get caught with one of those either.
Even if you bring a slingshot , make sure it's not one of those scary illegal ones with a wrist brace. :roll:
Phil
1894c

Post by 1894c »

1894 wrote:Yep , handgun is definitely not something you want to risk getting caught with.
Long gun ( shotgun or levergun ) may be OK , but cased , in the trunk , ammo separate , and all that. Semi -autos have some strict rules regarding features and magazine size.
Spring assist knife , you don't want to get caught with one of those either.
Even if you bring a slingshot , make sure it's not one of those scary illegal ones with a wrist brace. :roll:
+1 -- as a displaced NY-er i concur with 1894. if you take something make it hunting related...
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

In NY riding around with a loaded gun would put you on the wrong side of a couple laws. Also in NY a loaded magazine equals a loaded gun, even if it's removed and in a another part of the car. Unloaded would be legal... unless you're in "NY City" (Manhattan, Staten island, the Bronx, Brooklyn & Queens) in which case lord only knows. lmao. There's crazy laws for passing through, visiting, staying... good luck finding someone who's sure what the really is.

An AR would have to be Pre-ban or AWB compliant. Same for magazines, anything over 10 rounds has to be Pre-ban. A levergun would surely seem less threatening. Personally I'd rather has a shotgun.
Slow is just slow.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Anything south of Westchester county is a wholly different world from the rest of NY state.

Spring assisted knives are legal in NY, but may not be in Long Island.

Any AR will be a problem.

Any rifle in a pistol chambering will be a problem.

The big problem is the local laws that ban guns and such, and you don't know them till you are being charged. Calling a head and asking will do little or no good, because they can't even understand their own laws, its a disgrace.

To be on the safe side, you might want to leave the guns home and stick with a non-folder Ka-Bar, better than nothing. Oh and mace is banned too, so pepper spray with OC is a no no. Just plain pepper spray.

Hope your stay is short so you can get back to your home and family, where you can keep them safe.

Steve
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

WHY? I Have several pistol-caliber carbines, there's no problem with legality in the state of New York. New York City however requires a permit for any gun. If you're going to be staying in "The City" you might want to leave the guns home!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

centershot wrote:
WHY? I Have several pistol-caliber carbines, there's no problem with legality in the state of New York. New York City however requires a permit for any gun. If you're going to be staying in "The City" you might want to leave the guns home!

Yep -- i did a bit more checking as well and this was my consensus --- good grief the gun laws are a PIA . I dont condone it, but somewhat backhandedly can understand a "no handguns" policy -- but all the other run around about "only if on the way to or from a sanctioned event" and all the rest of the freaky rules means i will be going to Long Island un-armed (except for a severe sense of humor and a pocket knife )

I'll take a chance on my little K-BAr springer, but a 7" fixed blade also may be misinterpreted if it is on your person ---

--- i thought maryland was bad when i was there a couple of years ago, --- i was wrong
----- Doug
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Any idea where you're going? "Long Island" is a big place. The parts where you might need a gun of course are the parts where you can't have one. In truth you're probably in more danger from the traffic.
Slow is just slow.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

centershot wrote:
You can't buy "pistol" ammo without a pistol permit in much of the area surrounding the city. And some locals consider "pistol" ammo as a no no without a permit. You need to look at the local statues for all the extraneous BS.

I know it's BS, but try telling it to the cop as you are being led away in handcuffs.

Steve
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

After examining the gun laws there I don't take one when going there, better yet, I don't go there any more. You have to go, so I think you are pretty much not going to be armed.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've transited through the area and couldn't leave fast enough.

I also had a solid oak cane in hand. I have bad knees that kick in at times, usually when sitting still for long periods of time i.e airplanes.

The fact that both my significant other and I are trained in the use of ASP/Monadnock and riot batons, and I am an experienced fencer/swordfighter with similar instruments just made it nicer.

As an LASD deputy once told me regarding California in a similar situation..... "A 4 C-cell Maglite is the same diameter as a PR-24 baton, and almost as long. Just saying......."

They can't bitch at you for having a light in an area with no power.....
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

When I was a security guard the 4 cell mag lights were popular here for just that reason.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

cas wrote:Any idea where you're going? "Long Island" is a big place. The parts where you might need a gun of course are the parts where you can't have one. In truth you're probably in more danger from the traffic.
Oceanside, Long Beach, Freeport, Lido Beach are just a few of the places I'll be working.
It is very hard to find lodging there now, I have to stay in Milford CT for a night or two, but hope to score a room closer to the airport soon if possible, The toll bridges will lay waste to your walking around money fast.
H
----- Doug
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i dont think you can get to long island without traveling through NYC
and they have restrictions on everything......
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good luck.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

If you're in Milford you could get to Long Island without going through NYC by taking the ferry from Bridgeport to Port Jefferson. I lived on Long Island for 5 years and never felt the need to carry a gun, which was just as well because, as a " resident alien" I couldn't have one anyway. As cas says, the traffic is probably the most dangerous thing you will encounter
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I remember Jeff Cooper writing about the so called New York Special, years ago. I seems that someone brought a Winchester 94 Trapper to his range for training, because he lived in New York City and could not own most guns but it seems that the Trapper was legal, for home defense anyway, but who knows, probably required a permit or something.

Also I have heard and read that a shotgun was legal, probably for home only. And it seems I read somewhere that a cap and ball pistol was considered a non firearm in most places, maybe not NYC.

I am sure glad I don't have to go up there, probably never will. However, I do believe a fighting cane is legal, I bought one a few years ago, in case I had to fly. It's just a real stout Hickory cane but the end of the hook is pretty sharp, and it has some non slip scallops in the wood. Mostly so far I have used mine a lot for working cattle in the pens, it works great for that.
NRA Life Member, Patron
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Freeport is in bad shape, they got flooded pretty bad. I always have a gun when I go to Freeport… because I only go there to shoot. ;) Like any place else, parts of Freeport aren't great.

Oceanside would be one of the "no gun" areas.
Slow is just slow.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Still here ! --- and likely will be for a little while.

I have to say , LAwn Guy Land was largely correct about Long Island being a decent place --- the biggest problems here are traffic so far. Besides driving in, i havent made a trip into "the city" yet ---- would like to do a few touristy things, like see the Empire State Bldg, Statue of Liberty, big Christmas Tree, etc. --- but kind of like New Orleans area locals rarely go to Mardi Gras, most of the NY area residents also avoid the city as much as they can

I dont discuss politics or guns here,(unless someone brings it up first) but i do like the resiliency of the NY people i have met so far -- and most people are nice to me --- the chicks dig my "accent" -- although my accent is very mild.
As an insurance adjuster, i am somewhat used to people kissing my rear a little bit at the loss site- so i dont count my customers , but everybody is great everywhere else too, from the guys at the pizza shop i argue about sports with, to folks at Trader Joes (a grocery store) -- and basically everybody else i talk to for the most part is great
--- for those who haven't been here - New Yorkers get a bad rap fellas ---- somewhat like Californians
I am still looking forward to going home someday and hope it is before Christmas, but its more about me than about New York now :D
----- Doug
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

The wife and I lived on Long Island for 5 years and travelled into the city at every opportunity. We have travelled all over the world and both agree that NYC is the most exciting, vibrant city there is. Driving around the city is a blast -like being in a video game, and parking is cheap down by the East River. If you don't want to drive the LIRR gets you into Penn Station.
As for touristy things, the Lower East Side Tenement Museum tour is interesting as are the foodie walking tours of Chinatown and Little Italy. If you don't want to queue for the Empire State the Rockefeller Building is nearly as tall but much quieter. This time of year you can skate with the posh folk at the Rockefeller Center or Central Park. Also, take a look at the real seat of power in the USA - 740 Park Avenue.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

336bl wrote: +1 -- as a displaced NY-er i concur with 1894. If you take something make it hunting related...
Yep, because as we all know, the Second Amendment was written so them colonials could go deer-huntin'... :roll:

I am soooooo glad I don't have to travel to places like that.

At least the inconvenience to you will be offset by the fact that they are all extremely safe, low-crime areas, thanks mostly to the sensibly-strict gun laws.

[/sarcasm off]
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's too bad the subways Downtown flooded out, or you could spend a month just riding them everywhere, and get a REAL inside look at NYC. :shock:

When I was a 10-year-old, I used to ride all over creation for just the first $0.10 fare, just switching trains w/o exiting the toll booths/stations.

( I repeated that some 30 years later, using bus transfers, to criss-cross Atlanta, GA. )

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ooh.. I get to be the lone dissenter?

I think NY, and Long Island in particular, has the highest percentage of @-holes per capita than anywhere else in the country. :cry:

It's New York, where the few rotten 17 million spoil it for the rest of us. :D

I mentioned shooting in Freeport; the Freeport Police PBA range. It's wiped out. I'm told the clubhouse/indoor range had 6-7 feet of water in it. :shock:
Slow is just slow.