Fun time purchases may be very limited for a while...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Fun time purchases may be very limited for a while...

Post by awp101 »

Someone got it into his head he needed to go back to school, so as of today I am officially enrolled in two classes at the local JuCo under the Graphic Communication degree plan. :mrgreen:

I haven't been to a "real" school in over 20 years...this should be interesting.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Fun time purchases may be very limited for a while...

Post by elmo123 »

You will do fine. I went back to school after 20 years and was the oldest in the class. One thing that had changed was that there were no nuns hitting you for not paying attention.

Good luck

Mike
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

elmo123 wrote:You will do fine. I went back to school after 20 years and was the oldest in the class. One thing that had changed was that there were no nuns hitting you for not paying attention.

Good luck

Mike
Actually, in hind sight, I think that might have helped me, thank you Sister Mary Thomas Edwards.

awp101, I bet that you will enjoy it, in class with people who want to be there. Have fun, good luck!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You guys have more forgivness than me,
I still despise those nuns.
With all the cash I have sunk into the mining operation, I will have to wait untill it starts paying off to get back to my " projects ".
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Mescalero wrote:You guys have more forgivness than me,
I still despise those nuns.
With all the cash I have sunk into the mining operation, I will have to wait untill it starts paying off to get back to my " projects ".
As I recall, the Lay teachers were tougher disciplinarians than the Nuns ever thought of being. 5th grade Mrs. Buckingham comes to mind; holy cow it must have been pure hell to be one of her children.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

I am still recovering from Catholic school. That was 40 years ago. Remember the whacks with whatever was at hand.

Have to admit, the discipline came in handy. The Marines was a piece of cake after Sister Mary Ellen.

Got a good education though.

Don
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hellions receive as hellions do....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I didn't finish High School as I figured I was smarter than the teachers (got a GED) and started college at 41 years old and had a blast. School is much more fun and easier the second time around.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:Hellions receive as hellions do....
:D Blaine, you would have made Mrs. Buckingham proud.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks Blaine, I needed that :roll:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

elmo123 wrote:You will do fine. I went back to school after 20 years and was the oldest in the class.
I'll be 41 when the semester starts so I figure there's a 50/50 chance I'll be the oldest.
44-40 Willy wrote:School is much more fun and easier the second time around.
Third time for me. Tried college after HS and just wasn't ready. Well, more like just wasn't interested in staying focused anymore after 12 years of public school. Hell, I can't say I'm ready this time either... :lol:

You Catholic school guys have me glad I went to public schools after all. At least there, I only had to worry about avoiding beatings from fellow students instead of them AND the faculty! :shock: :lol: I'm reminded of The Penguin in The Blues Brothers.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good luck
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

You'll do great!

During my time off I pondered going back to graduate school. I just couldn't do it. Besides it would take years to make what I make in sales/construction.

Good luck Bro!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

The college kids won't mind you being there too much, at least until they realize that you, with your good study habits and work ethic and no need to party, are skewing the grade curve. Older students have always been the bane of my education career. I didn't have a need to party but I still wasn't a very good student. There were just too many outdoor activities to chase after. I've been better employed than most though since 1990 because of my degree. It's worth getting.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When I lived in Farmington, NM I went to Ladera Del Norte grade school. One of my teachers did not have a sense of humor in the least. One day I did something, I don't remember what now, and she called me to the front, laid me over her lap and started in using a yard stick on my rump. After a couple swats it broke. Like an idiot I laughed at her and said something like HA HA, your stick broke!. She got a bigger and stronger one and really laid into my rump then. No sense of humor at all.

Years later in Phoenix at St Mary's Catholic school I had the sweetest nun teacher you'd ever want. Sister Mary Paul Francis. Maybe in her 20s then with the brightest smile.
The principle nun was more like a mad pit bull in a black habit though. Never did try her sense of humor. I could tell she didn't have any.

Being as under educated as I am, only a year of Jr. College I've been tempted to go back for some more learnin. But, for what? I guess when I figure that out, I might give it a try.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I returned late to school and graduated in my mid 40's. It was challenging but I was finally ready to be a student, what a difference.

When later health issues popped up in my early 50's it turned out to be a critical decision for the better.