Wonder how the daughter feels about this dog...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Wonder how the daughter feels about this dog...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sad story - horrible loss. Sounds like all she has now is the family dog. . .
[b][u]ABC News Radio[/u][/b] wrote:(EUREKA, Calif.) -- A teenager and his parents were swept out to sea one by one after the boy tried to save their pet dog, which was overtaken by 10-foot-waves while running on the beach.

The family, which included the parents, son, a daughter and their dog were at Big Lagoon beach, about 30 miles north of Eureka, Calif., on Saturday when the incident occurred, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The dog was playing fetch with a stick on the steep beach when the 10-foot-swell came in, according to Coast Guard Lt. Bernie Garrigan.

"The beach is incredibly steep, and we had 10 foot swells... come through there Saturday, and it is really really steep, so the 10 foot waves smashes directly on the beach. They were throwing a stick for the dog, and the dog ran too close to the water and got pulled in," Garrigan said.

When the dog was overtaken by the wave and pulled out into the ocean, the 16-year-old boy went in after him and it was quickly apparent that the boy was in trouble.

The parents then went in to rescue the boy, according to Garrigan. All three were pulled out to sea. The dog managed to find its way back on shore and survived.

The daughter never entered the water, Garrigan said.

The Coast Guard did not release the names of the family members.

The Coast Guard and Humboldt County Sheriff's Department responded to a 911 call about the individuals in the water, sending a helicopter and two rescue boats to scour the water.

The bodies of the parents were found onshore later Saturday. The search for the boy continued Saturday and Sunday but was suspended Monday. Garrigan said the sheriff's department was making periodic checks of the beach.

"The Coast Guard gives our condolences to the family. We have done and are doing all we can," he said.

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/national- ... z2DNIOUYQD
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Wonder how the daughter feels about this dog...

Post by Blaine »

:( That really sucks :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'll bet his name is "Lucky".

:o
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep mentioning to our dogs that I'm thinking about taking up Korean cooking. . . :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I keep mentioning to our dogs that I'm thinking about taking up Korean cooking. . . :twisted:
There is an excellent new Korean Cook Book......101 Ways To Wok Your Dog.....That cuisine will give you a new leash on life. Very filling, though, I can only eat arf a serving.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

FWiedner wrote:I'll bet his name is "Lucky".

:o
You're sick.

lol
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I love my dogs, but there ain't no day I am going to do that to save one.......
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Unnecessary death. Any good 'ole redneck knows a dog can swim better and longer than a person.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In the boat, I put a doggy life vest on Thor....gives him a dang good chance to make it to shore. Rivers and Rip Tides really suck for anything to swim out of.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Came very close to having the same type of thing happening with one of my boys years ago,you always need to give big bodies of water respect.The local lake hot spot seems to take a life a year at least.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

BlaineG wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:I keep mentioning to our dogs that I'm thinking about taking up Korean cooking. . . :twisted:
There is an excellent new Korean Cook Book......101 Ways To Wok Your Dog.....That cuisine will give you a new leash on life. Very filling, though, I can only eat arf a serving.
I had to Paws and Sit while I thought about this. There is not telling how Fur Blain's humor will go. Reading his posts whole trying to keep from spraying coffee on my keyboard can be a little Ruff.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

hello im jerry's grandson jerry3 and a few years ago when i was in nam we ate dog, it was chewy and going good until i got a piece of hair, it was rufff swallowing :mrgreen:
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Humans have been living with and loving dogs for 200,000 years, so this kind of devotion does not surprise me in the least. I know that beach, and you can't believe how steep it is. Forty years ago a mother and father both drowned in the Trinity River in Northern California trying to save a son who survived. The depth of the tragedy is scarcely conceivable. I pray for that girl to find peace and even joy again some day, but it may take her the rest of her sad life.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

They have actually come upon dogs swimming miles out to sea. I tried to find the one article but my googleju must be weak today.

Ok, but you can see the shore in this one. I wouldn't count dogs found on flotsam either. Who knows how this dog came to be on an iceberg 18 miles out but I don't think this counts either. We don't know if this dog was truly lost at sea either.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hobie wrote:They have actually come upon dogs swimming miles out to sea. I tried to find the one article but my googleju must be weak today.

Ok, but you can see the shore in this one. I wouldn't count dogs found on flotsam either. Who knows how this dog came to be on an iceberg 18 miles out but I don't think this counts either. We don't know if this dog was truly lost at sea either.
Basically, you're saying dogs should just go with the floe for safety purposes?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My dog is part of my family and I'd hate to be in that situtation. Crazy what happened and then the dog lived.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Great puns fellows.

Unfortunately DNA evidence indicates that dogs, as opposed to wolves, only date back about 15,000 years.