Heresy!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Heresy!!!

Post by centershot »

I, of ALL people, NEVER thought I would say this; but, I actually prefer using my 20 ga. pump shotgun for deer hunting. There, I said it. Last year was the first year we were able to use rifles in this area, something I had waited for for years! After hunting last year and the first week of season this year with all sorts of different rifles, I have to admit that I actually prefer my short, compact, lightweight 20 ga. 870 youth model shotgun. I guess maybe it's part muscle memory, having used a pumpgun since I was 16, and partly because it fits me so well, it leaps to my shoulder and punches big holes in important places.........(sigh)............I'm a heretic! :? :shock: :oops: :roll:
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Heresy!!!

Post by Canuck Bob »

Interesting! I'm close to buying a 20 gauge BPS Upland Special for my shotgun. Still. hard to see me picking it over a lever for deer.

The truth is I used and carried a 444 for decades. There is something comfortable and effective about carrying a gun a guy has carried for years.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

centershot wrote: I guess maybe it's part muscle memory, having used a pumpgun since I was 16
Remington has also made pump rifles for over a century. Some folks still use such things, for the same reason you like your shotgun. And you can shoot accurately quite a lot further than you can do with the shotgun. Check 'em out if you think a little extra range would be nice.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

centershot wrote:I, of ALL people, NEVER thought I would say this; but, I actually prefer using my 20 ga. pump shotgun for deer hunting. There, I said it. Last year was the first year we were able to use rifles in this area, something I had waited for for years! After hunting last year and the first week of season this year with all sorts of different rifles, I have to admit that I actually prefer my short, compact, lightweight 20 ga. 870 youth model shotgun. I guess maybe it's part muscle memory, having used a pumpgun since I was 16, and partly because it fits me so well, it leaps to my shoulder and punches big holes in important places.........(sigh)............I'm a heretic! :? :shock: :oops: :roll:
I keep recommending that specific shotgun to people who want a hunting and home defense gun. Add a rifled slug barrel and you'd be good to go for everything around here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is the one I recommended to Indianagirl, she loves it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

230therapy
Levergunner

Post by 230therapy »

Use what you like that brings home the bacon! If the shotgun gets the deer every time, then use it. I see no point in switching just to change. However, if you need an excuse to buy a new gun, then that change in the law is a great justification (right after "I want a new rifle").
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have never ever handled an 870 and it not handle or fit!

I love my little 20g and really really hope I never bump into a 12g wingmaster :?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A few years ago I was hunting a hardwood swamp near our house. I was using a newly acquired H&R 20 ga. As I was sitting on a stump I began thinking about my choice of arm.
The mountain men in the 1830's and 40's carried .62 cal trade guns. About 20 ga. They killed Injuns, grizzly, deer, n' buffler with round balls. They used swan shot for birds. I had just what they only I could swap back and forth from buck to ball to birdshot at the flick of the wrist. I felt pretty satisfied with my selection, but an 870 might be a bit more glamorous.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

There really is a lot to like in that little shotgun, guess I'll keep her......have to stock up on slugs soon! :D I had handled one of the Remington 7600 rifles last week, nice gun but about 1 1/4 lbs more weight than the 870. Don't really need the extra range of the rifle, long shots around here are 75-100 yards, I can handle that with the 20 ga.! I'll get more slugs tomorrow! Safe hunting and Happy Holidays y'all!
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I hunted everything with a 16 gauge Browning A-5 for years. Still had my rifles, just used that shotgun when meat on on the line.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So your lever slides along under the barrel. What is the problem?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

With the new "super sabots" a 20ga with a rifled tube is a heck of a good deer rifle... especially a LW/youth gun.

Still, in tight woods, I like my .357 Rossi, but I wouldn't complain about a properly set-up 20...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!