Trouble with scope mounting on a Win 94AE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Trouble with scope mounting on a Win 94AE

Post by cnjarvis »

Blasphemy aside, I'm having a bit of trouble installing a scope on my Win 94AE in 45 Colt. Installed for proper eye relief, the turret housing sits directly over the front inch of the bolt. When ejecting empty cases, the case mouth hits the bottom of the turret housing and bounces back into the action.

Here's what I'm working with:

Leupold Rifleman Vertical Split Rings - Medium
Weaver Win 94AE bases
Primary Arms 1-4x24 illuminated scope (30mm tube)

Any thoughts?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Trouble with scope mounting on a Win 94AE

Post by Old Savage »

These two work fine. Don't know if looking at the arrangement will help.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

OS,

My rings and bases look nearly identical to lower rifle in your photo. I'll admit to wondering if the increased size of the tube and turret housing are the problem themselves.
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

I had the same problem with my Winchester 94 Timber 18 1/2" 444 Marlin and a Leupold 1.5-5x20 scope with 1" tube. My only way to fix it - using higher rings (high not medium). Looks very ugly but works. Now I use a Williams Receiver sight and a firesight front on my Timber. Real fast, very accurate and just the right thing for this compact rifle.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You could always rotate the scope 90 degrees counterclockwise. Your vertical adjustment now becomes horizontal, and vice versa.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Thanks for this post. I might be in the market for a scope for mine. Although I might get a Leatherwood.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You've explained the problem and clearly you need to change something. Higher rings are cheaper than replacing the scope which I see as the only two options for you.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Pisgah wrote:You could always rotate the scope 90 degrees counterclockwise. Your vertical adjustment now becomes horizontal, and vice versa.
I wish it could be that easy but the case is actually hitting the bottom of the turret AND it's an illuminated reticle which in this case means that the left side of the turret housing has a rheostat on it...

You're right Hobie, it looks like I'll be investing in some higher rings to see if that helps. Boooo!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The bottom one may look funny but it truly is like a handle - it is very comfortable to shoot ( can't comfortably get down on standard iron sights on these rifles) and both are accurate combos. Try a simple scope if you have one - as mentioned you can turn the adjustment knobs. This high set up is also comfortable for me. Probably the face shape.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

OS tht 99 looks almost exactly like mine in 250. What cal is yours. For the OP hate this suggestion but "see-thru" mounts are really cheap.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

250 - hate see through mounts but some like them.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

How about beveling the ejector so it kicks right a little more! Costs nowt :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

OK, I tried a set of "high" rings and while it now ejects flawlessly, this is what it looks like.
Picture 003.jpg
I may have to look at a different scope. This thing looks like a wart on a baby's bum.

If I send it back, I'm ordering a Burris Fullfield II, 2-7x35 to replace it with and I'll go back to the medium rings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If that is the scope --- looks too bulbous on the adjustments -- get something simpler.

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

That's the scope.

This afternoon I used a piece of 1" dowel with a turret cap taped to it to simulate the actual turret on a scope. I installed the dowel in some 1" "medium" rings and cycled an empty case out a few times and had my daughter do it a few more. Cycled briskly, there were no failures to eject. Looks like I'll be sending this scope back and ordering the Burris.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

cnjarvis wrote:That's the scope.

This afternoon I used a piece of 1" dowel with a turret cap taped to it to simulate the actual turret on a scope. I installed the dowel in some 1" "medium" rings and cycled an empty case out a few times and had my daughter do it aces more. Cycled briskly, there were no failures to eject. Looks like I'll be sending this scope back and ordering the Burris.

Good fault diagnosis :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bingo! :D 30-30 doesn't need much anyway.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The higher base is definitely not an option, that looks like (what do you call that organic fertilizer that comes from cows :lol:).

Sorry but I don't own an AE Winchester so I may be missing something. Shouldn't it eject out at an angle. If it hits the turret, that suggests to me that it is ejecting upwards more than it should.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Possibly but the turrets on the scope pictured are MUCH larger than those on regular 1" scope tubes.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Ok. I got the Burris and installed it last night in a set of Leupold vertical split rings (.240" high) and not only does the Burris look much better, it's ejecting cases better. It's still not ejecting them every time so tonight I'm going to swap in some Burris signature Z rings at .420" high and see if that cures it. It will be a little higher than I'd like but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I think part of the issue stems from the short case and large diameter case mouth. As the case comes back, the ejector is popping the case mouth up into the bottom corner of the turret housing. I suspect that longer/smaller diameter cases may notdo this.

I'll keep you posted.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nath wrote:How about beveling the ejector so it kicks right a little more! Costs nowt :)

N.

Yarrrrrn, zzzzzzz

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

if you ever need options on scope mounts, here's your man

http://steveearleproducts.com/
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Nath wrote:
Nath wrote:How about beveling the ejector so it kicks right a little more! Costs nowt :)

N.

Yarrrrrn, zzzzzzz

N.
Sorry Nath!

I don't want to go tinkering with parts I'm not sure I can replace and don't know what I'm doing with.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Here it is in its final iteration. I wish that I could get the scope lower but that's where it needs to be to eject the cases.
Win 94 w scope 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

It still looks a bit high, but the big question is how does it feel? Can you use it and still get your cheek to the stock?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bulldog, what kind of scope mounts go with those scope blocks?

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

gundownunder wrote:It still looks a bit high, but the big question is how does it feel? Can you use it and still get your cheek to the stock?
Since the stock is designed for iron sights, I doubt I could get a cheek weld with optics at all however I can index off my chin easily. It's reasonably natural for me as my bolt action is very similar.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

cnjarvis wrote:
Nath wrote:

N.

Yarrrrrn, zzzzzzz

N.
Sorry Nath!

I don't want to go tinkering with parts I'm not sure I can replace and don't know what I'm doing with.
'Tis ok.

Hope it works out, don't worry about cheek weld, never did quite understand that term! It implies (for me) as though the face should be squashed to the stock!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am with you on that Nath.