Ref. "I've Been Bad" Post Of October - Here We Go Again!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Ref. "I've Been Bad" Post Of October - Here We Go Again!!

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Ref. "I've Been Bad" Post Of October - Here We Go Again!!

Post by Old Savage »

Nice! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Everytime I see or hear of one of these, and others like them; I think of McBride's " A Rifleman went to War ".
They had captured a german sniper, and McBride was holding both rifles, Canadian issue and german sniping rifle, comparing them,
the german laughed at them,
McBride recognized a superior rifle when he saw it.
Nice rifle, hope you guys enjoy it.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Everytime I see or hear of one of these, and others like them; I think of McBride's " A Rifleman went to War ".
They had captured a german sniper, and McBride was holding both rifles, Canadian issue and german sniping rifle, comparing them,
the german laughed at them,
McBride recognized a superior rifle when he saw it.
Nice rifle, hope you guys enjoy it.

Wow ! :shock: :shock: :o Cool Story.

My name is Doug McBride --- i am sure it is no relation, but i will have to see what my namesake wrote !
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You did not know about McBride's ( A Rifleman went to War ) ?
I thought that was required reading.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Mescalero wrote:You did not know about McBride's ( A Rifleman went to War ) ?
I thought that was required reading.
Streetstar isn't alone in only hearing of this now.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I doubt that I am alone in counting 1903s as proper weapons here! You haven't been bad in my opinion. In fact I think you and you're son have chosen a fine weapon!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I did not mean to imply it was bad.
That incident always sticks in my mind.
I made an erroneous assumption more people knew of the book than apparently do.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I waited a long time to finally get my hands on an 03A3... passed up plenty of 1903s cause I wanted the receiver sight version... The one I got was as nice as yours but their stocks are too short for me, making it NO FUN to shoot...I got rid of it... Apparently the thinking at the time the 1903s came along was to have a rifle short enough that it could be used for cav use too, and therefore there would be no need to produce a carbine...US went from then to WWII before we got a carbine again which was a dandy! I did enjoy my Lend Lease M1917 a bunch tho
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice catch Steve. I have my father's sportered Springfield and can't decide whether to restore to military or restock in a classic early sporter configuration. Dad always liked Springfields, hjaving carried a scoped model as his squad's sniper in the 97th Infantry.
Guys, if you don't have a copy of McBride's book, get one. It will give you tremendous insight on World War I and on the skills of a true rifleman. This was one of the late Jeff Cooper's favorite books.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

We stripped it down and cleaned it, however, the gentleman who'd bought it from CMP in 2002 was truthful in that he'd taken very good care of it and it was well lubed and spotlessly clean. So, we took it out on Sunday morning (before the Broncos beat the Bucs :D ) and were very pleasantly surprised. It shot to point of aim when the rear sight was set at 100, 200, and 300yds with my M1 Garand level handloads and although it was windy, it seems to group very well.

The RSO at the range competes with his 03A3 and we let him take a couple of shots as he's good with it. He was smiling when done and told Peter (my son) that as far as he was concerned it was a great shooter. At 100 yds in the gusty wind, he go a couple of sub 2" groups off the bags with my non match grade ammo so all were pleased. Peter then proceeded to smack down some bowling pins at the 200yd line with it which brought a huge grin to his face. He's very happy with it and so the world is good today.

I did note that the mag spring is a bit weak so this morning I got on Sarco's site and ordered a couple of spring sets as well as a spare extractor for it as some stocking stuffers from Santa.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
1894c

Post by 1894c »

COSteve --- can you adopt me, especially when you feel like you're going to be bad again...i promise not to tell a soul... :)