Sling Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Sling Question

Post by jkbrea »

I just got back from an elk hunt in Wyoming. We got two fat cows. I'll post pics as soon as I can figure it out. :oops:
After hiking about 8-12 miles a day, I had a sharp pain between by shoulder blades and was constantly switching my rifle, (bolt action), from shoulder to shoulder. Plus I need surgery on my right shoulder which didn't help things. I saw an older hunter using a safari sling, (I think Cabelas has them), and he swears by it saying it is much easier to carry all day and the rifle is "at the ready" quicker. Does anyone use it and do you like it?
I think this is the link on Cabelas for it.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... 0015055090
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Sling Question

Post by Twodot »

I think mine is a "Boonie Sling", same idea with a different name.
I like they way it works.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have shoulder problems too and I prefer a split sling so when you are carrying the rifle you wear it on both shoulders, kind of like a backpack. I have a leather one from an unknown maker and a rubber-like one from slogan outdoors.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

86er wrote:I have shoulder problems too and I prefer a split sling so when you are carrying the rifle you wear it on both shoulders, kind of like a backpack. I have a leather one from an unknown maker and a rubber-like one from slogan outdoors.
I thought of that but when I hunt I have a backpack on so it wouldn't work. I think I'll buy the safari sling and try it out. My concern is when bringing it up it may get caught up in the flip up scope lens covers and it seems you have to bring it up just right to avoid the sling getting in the way. I'll post my experience with it here.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Some shooters with experience using modern weaponry have installed side sling swivels on hunting rifles so they can carry the rifle slung across the chest, barrel down, i.e like their working guns (M-4s).

Same reason, still works.
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

Boonie Sling just sorta falls out of the way when I shoulder my rifle. Been using it for 6 or 8 seasons now and as I said, so far I like the way it works.