Shootin' with Griff

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Shootin' with Griff

Post by 86er »

Griff and I have been working on some non-lever rifles and handguns. I've got a totally new formula for my two muzzleloaders and they are both dialed in. My son joined us and checked his 360DW Model 94 and its on the money. Griff dialed in his new AR and his son checked a 10/22 and a 7mm Mag that were shooting as they should. We shot 1911's at the 100 yard gong which was a lot of fun. The first day of shooting started with CRS checking some of his handguns and he provided the nifty shooting bench seen under Griff in the photo. Ricky provided the range - but he was stuff at work.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Shootin' with Griff

Post by Blaine »

Ya gotta love that weather down there..... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like fun boys! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The boy was playing catch with the .223 brass in that shot! Never even saw the camera. Joe, you're a sneak! Yes, Blaine, you have to love the weather in Texas! Otherwise, get the h-e-double hockey sticks out! You'll go nuts!

See At the Range for more details... fewer pics!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
Glad you liked the shooting bench/table. Also glad you had the seat over one leg as directed by Caldwell; that keeps it stable and tip-free.
Looks to me like you have shot that type rifle before, or were they still issuing the M1 when you were in the service? :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When I first joined, we first qualified with the M1. After my quals, I was taken aside and qualified with more weapons systems... including the M16, M14, 1911, Tommy gun and a couple of others. Issued a M16 going to VN, but swapped in-country with a Marine for a Thompson. Most ain't "unfamiliar", even if I'd be a bit rusty. As I was with this.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Lookin' good!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Way to go boys! Griff your lookin good. Congrats on your new shootin Iron.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Spent another afternoon at the range with RKrodle and 86er! What a hoot! I made sure to bring a couple of leverguns today so we could call it a levergun gathering!

86er sighted in his .356 Winchester BB! Load ammo and go shoot. We started out at 50 yards and then backed off to 100 yards... me with the AR and 86er with the .356Win. We then proceeded to plink with a couple of my levers, both 94 Winchesters in .30-30. My custom rifle and Trapper made from a '67 Canadian Centennial Receiver.

From 50 yards, I fired 10 rounds to get sighted in with the Federal 55 grain FMJs. Even tho' the old Weaver (new in 1980), was impossible to focus with it. Absolutely frustrating at 50 yards. And at 100 it wasn't a bit better. In fact, the Red Dot was better! But my 50 yard target was encouraging:

86er's new 356. He didn't seem real pleased, but, for a first outing, I don't see much to complain about!
That included quite a few adjustments to the scope. Spottin' for Joe is a pleasure! I couldn't begin to tell ya which was first, second, or the umpteenth! As I recall, Joe was using the small, center square as an aiming point. That little group of 3 about 3 inches above the center of the small square and just left of center was his last 3, IIRC. I gotta say; "IMPRESSIVE". Looks like an absolutely NEW .356! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Then, my son and I had to have a little 10 shot head to head competition with the AR!!!! HEHEHEHE! The old man WINS!

Son's:

Then I dropped the scope, put the RedDot back on and swapped for some 62 grain Winchester ammo at 3050fps. Back to the shoot, adjust, shoot and adjust some more. And, hey... if ya gotta have help spottin'... Joe's the MAN! I don't remember the exact order, but I seem to recall that we started way high, went right, then came back into a group... see the four just above the red square.

This cow's head is about 14" tall and about 12" across the horns. Not an easy target to hit! With my custom 94 we all had to take a shot or two! So with a little spottin', on in 3 shots. Then my son had to hit it, then RKrodle. All of us hit it.

We finished up the day doin' some plinkin' with my old, beat up 1911. Since Joe had shown me up on Thursday on the torso sized target, I figured I'd give him a challenge...

Yep, the cow's head at 100 yards!

Me and Ricky hit it. But, we both believe it was pure luck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yep, another great day.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I see you boys have your shootin' irons shooting minute-of-gang member. Hey Griff, I bet its been a long time since you handled one of the Mattel stocked .223's!----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Hey Griff, I bet its been a long time since you handled one of the Mattel stocked .223's!----------Sixgun
2012-1973=39 years. That's about how old you are, right?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Darn tootin good fun shootin. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: 2012-1973=39 years. That's about how old you are, right?
My mind is 14 years old. (just entering puberty) The rest is about the same as you. :D

Hey, How come you guys have summer weather down there? I'm already sick of this stuff we have and its still two weeks away from winter. I can just imagine what the boys in Montana are daeling with--------Sixgun

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sixgun, when you live in Gods country this is what you get :D . Come on down and visit when you get time and enjoy some of this fine weather. Although tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 40's and lows in the the mid 20's.

Griff, I had a great time shooting and socializing with you, and your son, glad y'all could come out and play. Don't forget you need to work on that 1911 so it will feed better next time 86er does his up-side-down shooting. :D .
Ricky

DWWC
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Outstanding fellers.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

RKrodle wrote:Sixgun, when you live in Gods country this is what you get :D . Come on down and visit when you get time and enjoy some of this fine weather. Although tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 40's and lows in the the mid 20's.
+1
RKrodle wrote:Griff, I had a great time shooting and socializing with you, and your son, glad y'all could come out and play. Don't forget you need to work on that 1911 so it will feed better next time 86er does his up-side-down shooting. :D .
Thanks for the invite, and likewise. Dern, forgot about that upside down shootin' of 86er's! Yeah, I'm not quite sure how to make a 1911 feed when it's upside down! Entertaining, to say the least.

Yep, I went to a cowboy shoot today over in Cleburne, was 69 when I went thru town (Dallas), and 58 on the way home, 4-½ hours later!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

RKrodle wrote:Sixgun, when you live in Gods country this is what you get :D . Come on down and visit when you get time and enjoy some of this fine weather. Although tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 40's and lows in the the mid 20's. :D .
Ricky,
Wherever the country is nice--your area, upstate Pa., Colorado Rockies, etc., there is little work for an unskilled guy like me. In order to make good money, you have to be either a trucker, farmer, or work for the railroad, none of which I am. I get paid decent money for being a peon like myself (forklift op.) here in S.E. Pa. Then there's retirement, but by then the enthusiasm is gone.

Then I'm addicted to nice classic guns, and here they are, right in peon land. :D ---------Sixgun

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
RKrodle wrote:Sixgun, when you live in Gods country this is what you get :D . Come on down and visit when you get time and enjoy some of this fine weather. Although tomorrow is not suppose to get out of the 40's and lows in the the mid 20's. :D .
Ricky,
Wherever the country is nice--your area, upstate Pa., Colorado Rockies, etc., there is little work for an unskilled guy like me. In order to make good money, you have to be either a trucker, farmer, or work for the railroad, none of which I am. I get paid decent money for being a peon like myself (forklift op.) here in S.E. Pa. Then there's retirement, but by then the enthusiasm is gone.

Then I'm addicted to nice classic guns, and here they are, right in peon land. :D ---------Sixgun
Doesn't mean that you can't come on down and visit a spell!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:...an unskilled guy like me ... (forklift op.)
Unskilled? I don't think so! Forklift Operator :P :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I knew that while I was working over the weekend that some lucky folks were having fun somewhere.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:
Sixgun wrote:...an unskilled guy like me ... (forklift op.)
Unskilled? I don't think so!
Ricky,
We "old heads" have been performing that trick for some years now. I've seen more than one guy lose $10 because, "There ain't no way you can pick up a dime with a forklift" :D Now, our forklifts are smaller than that one and are more maneuverable. I give that cat credit.

Now, on to Griff and his "invite to Texas". I don't think so! You think I'm stupid? I saw that "documentary" and what you people do to us Yankees with those chainsaws. :D

If the chance comes, you know I will cruise on down. 3 more years 'till quittin' time!--------------Sixgun

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

If you are going to make Texas, you have to make N.M.
I'll let you tear something up with the Ditch Witch.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mescalero wrote:If you are going to make Texas, you have to make N.M.
I'll let you tear something up with the Ditch Witch.

How did you know I am a destructive individual? My mother used to tell my dad when I was only 5 or 6 that, "He's the most destructive kid I ever saw, he smashes everything".

Just last week I put the loader on the Kubota and drove around the back pasture knocking over small trees, bushes and even flipped a few rocks. Then I came back to the house to shoot a few old appliances. What fun!-------Sixgun

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D