How to make your muzzleloading more effective and enjoyable

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

How to make your muzzleloading more effective and enjoyable

Post by 86er »

Preface: I've had a muzzleloader since I was 10 yrs old, predominantly a .58 cal Zouave and a .54 Lyman Hawken. I got one of the first in-line rifles when they were in their infancy in 1990. I've had 5 different in-line rifles. Currently, I am shooting a TC Triumph in-line and a homemade .50 cal abbreviated Hawken Hunter style sidelock with percussion ignition. I've used BP, Pyrodex, Triple 7, White Hots, Pellets from Pyrodex and Triple 7, does anyone remember the short live Black Magic?, and Goex. I've used cast bullets, swaged bullets, copper bullets, brass bullets and a variety of bullets in sabots.
Observations: All these years I always dreaded cleaning the rifles. Although water and some scrubbing is all it really takes it is a messy process and tough to keep rust off all the parts of the rifle. There was an occassional failure of primer, musket cap or percussion cap. I've had hangfires in moist environments and with dirty guns. Typically the more you shoot the harder it is to load between cleanings. Accuracy can degrade from shot to shot. Powder has a poor shelf life and gives different results at the beginning of the can than it does a year later from the bottom of the can. Lubed bullets were messy, sabots were inconsistent, hard to load and expensive with the bullets. A sidelock loaded for 3 days failed to fire when the deer finally showed up. Another time I was about to squeeze the trigger and the animal did not keep coming in range. Good thing, the gun wouldn't fire when I tried to empty it later that same day.
Problem: I still love to hunt deer with a muzzleloader. I like muzzleloaders as much as anything else for hunting other animals. I lose interest in my muzzleloaders when the above observations keep happening over and over!
Solution: I finally found it! 25 + shots without loss of accuracy, difficulty to load or mis/hangfires. No problem with moisture - keep the gun loaded all season if you want. Easy to load. Consistent power - velocity does not change from loading to loading or with the age of powder. Much less expensive to shoot. Cleans up with plain ole Hoppes #9 with one wet patch, two dry and one oil patch if storing. Also, no heavy smoke upon firing so I can see what's happening! These 3 things did it:
Blackhorn 209 Powder
This is no hydroscopic (does not attract moisture). 80 grains by volume will yield the same or more power as 100 grains by volume of Triple 7, Pyrodex, etc. Does not produce smoke upon firing (very little). Cleans up easy and without putting water in your rifle. Priced about the same per serving (container) as the other stuff and you get about the same # of shots because you use less of it and waste less of it.
Mag-Spark Ignition System
Screw one in to your nipple threads and use regular 209 shotshell primers. Very reliable ignition with less blowback and instantaneous discharge. Another plus, you need a 209 shotshell primer to ignite Blackhorn 209 (not the 209 Muzzleloader primers). The 209 shotshell primers are cheaper anyway and with this device I can now use Blackhorn 209 in my sidelock muzzleloader!
Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots
If your gonna use a sabot these are the best I've found. Every sabot is lying on the ground in the same spot with the petal perfectly opened every time. The consistency blows away 7 other kinds of sabots I've used. Insert your favorite .430 bullet (green) or .451-452 bullet (black) or .458 bullet (orange) and it will load easily shot after shot with consistent accuracy. I recently shot 25 blue sabots from another company with the same load. The blue cups were from 20 to 80 yards spread out on the 100 yds range and every one was different ( 1 petal left, 2 left, 3 left, 4 left, 1 open one closed, etc). There are times I don't use a sabot (illegal in CO for instance) but when I do these are fantastic.

I'm shooting 240 grain XTP's (paid $19.89 for 100) with green Harvester CR sabot ($14.00 for 100) and getting 1988 fps from the inline with a 95 grain charge. The 24" barrel sidelock is now shooting the same exact load but getting 1864 fps. I save on not having two sets of components too. 300 grain .452's (Hornady, Swift, Cast Performance) go 1840 fps from the in-line and 1730 fps in the sidelock.

I still appreciate the powder puff, etc of traditional black but this is the best for me! Try it, you'll like it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Re: How to make your muzzleloading more effective and enjoya

Post by bigbore442001 »

I too use Blackhorn 209 but in a more modern muzzleloader. I have a G2 50 caliber barrel for my Contender that has an Aimpoint mounted on it. Perfect for the type of hunting we have here in Massachusetts.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You may have made muzzleloading hunting a lot more paletable for a lot of folks.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Mescalero wrote:You may have made muzzleloading hunting a lot more paletable for a lot of folks.
+1

Great info there. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

This is the latest info I have on BlackHorn 209:
Shooters of Blackhorn 209, besides being illegal for use by SASS rules should be aware of the following quote in the Single Shot Rifle Journal article where the powder was tested by spectrograph analysis ...
"Haag's findings were that Blackhorn 209, while basically nitrocellulose contained inclusions of potassium nitrite and sulphur, which may create potassium sulphate, possibly sulphur trioxide, or dioxide combining with water in the air form sulfuric acid. He concluded that there is potassium nitrite and elemental sulphur embedded in what is basically a nitrocellulose product"
Note the words Sulfuric Acid!
Should users who don't regularly clean their firearms after use of smokeless (nitro based) powder believe that Blackhorn 209 doesn't have to be regularly be cleaned out of the bore, read this from the manufacturer -
To maximize the performance of your firearm, we recommend you clean it regularly using the following procedures:
http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/general-cleaning/
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Thanks Griff - that's right. Blackhorn still in not smokeless nitro powder and the rifle has to be cleaned, but just like a regular rifle. No water, no huge mess. Compared to black substitutes, this is just another one of the advantages of using it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

How does it compare to Triple 7? Last stuff i used before I sold my muzzle loader was 777 pellets, clean and easy but a tad pricy.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
hammerman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hammerman »

That's the same setup I've been using for the last 3 years. It works great so far. I've been shooting blackhorn209 in a t/c 54 cal hawkin with round balls and conicals. When I first started shootng the powder, I was running real light because I wasn't sure how it would act. Now that I have a chrono, my loads are alot more effective.
Only Winchester levers, one custom 356 top eject bigbore
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I mostly use 5744 or 4759 in my "muzzleloader", because I have a Savage ML-10 or whatever they currently call it.

No water-cleaning, no rust worries. Use and clean it like normal 'smokeless' powder.

It is more powerful than my .444 Marlin, shoots cloverleaf groups at 100 yards, and no problem with cartridge-case lifespan and so on.

For 'nostalgia' I might want a flintlock, but for pure muzzleloading effectiveness and enjoyable FUN, I love my Savage, and the 'smokeless' loads it accepts.

If I want the romance and smell of blackpowder, I will use my cap'n'ball Remington replica (in non-traditional, diswasher-safe 'stainless'), but if I want to go afield and hunt deer or bust targets decisively at 100 yards or more, I'll be using SMOKELESS ( :roll: ) 5744 in my muzzleloader.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sacriledge :lol: or should that be sacrilidge? I dunno. :lol:

I hunt all weathers n' don't have an issue with BP with the exception of my P61 Enfield. If mis managed water gets in that ole' gapping musket cap nipple.

I find nothing wrong with a good to honest homemade patch lube fer stopping crusty foul forming and sealing nipples too.

To much doohicky for me modern in line thingies, softlead, soft lube, round ball mold, fabric patches n' hot water, simple's :D Don't fuss fer' spirrels cut in the tube too!

I just wait 'till I can see the white of their eyes an' make fire.

My muzzleloaders are akin to archery for me as in the fun is getting close.

Despite all that I'm glad fer' you Joe :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Great post. I have experienced all the above. AT LEAST!
I went to a TC Triumph last season because of all those reasons, have two others. All sidelock percusion TC's, one with musket cap and one with a 209 primer, but never did exactly care for how the primer was contained (piece of wire)

Have been applying for colorado muzzleloader elk tags, will get one eventually, want a TC or a Lyman 54. Brother has a left hand Lyman 54 and killed a cow with it.

No inlines in 54, so if this stuff works like you say, I can go the Lyman or TC route, stay kind of traditional, in looks and function anyway, have my .54 bullet, and all will be well (except Mr. Elk)

Have not been out deer hunting BP yet this season. Been too warm, 50degrees here again today. Might get chance over xmas.

Going to try this stuff, and like the 209 primer accessory, can change out my musket cap.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

For hunting purposes where legal the Savage 10ML-II 50 cal with VV N-110 or XMP5744 is THE ticket !

In my pair of Knight Disc Rifles 45 and 50 cal Hogdon 777 granulated 3Fg is the ticket . Both 50 cals are good with the Hornady 2500 SST and the Hornady green sabot and the 250 grain bullet like used in the 450 Bushmaster . For the 45 cal Disc the Hornady 200 SST is fine .

The Savage and smokeless cleans like any other smokeless gun . The Disc guns clean easily with a damp patch . I can clean either type completely in 15 minutes .

The ONLY time I need real blackpowder is when I shoot my period halfstock 36 cal percussion Pennsylvania rifle . And that one doesn't take to long if no ones bothering me when I start cleaning it .

To each his won but the Triple 7 granulated has worked well for me for a number of years now , so I see no need to change !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking for the Blackhorn 209 powder, but none of the stores around me carry it... :(
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks for sharing Joe. I will give blackhorn a try.