Anybody playing with an XD-S

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody playing with an XD-S

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I used to work part-time at Sportsmans Warehouse and was up on my new toys, but had not heard of the Springfield XD-S until my Rifleman arrived yesterday. This thing looks like just about the ideal carry gun. For a while I tried to carry the XD-45compact, but it was just too much gun for me to comfortably conceal. The XD-S looks a lot better. Anyone here shooting, carrying this little .45?
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Anybody playing with an XD-S

Post by deafrn »

One of the gents at my LGS handed me an XD-s, a full magazine and a target. ("Just try it.") It did not feel all that comfortable with me standing there at the counter pointing at the target on the wall, but was surprisingly friendly and controllable in actual use. Without any familiarization other than looking it over and "gymnasticating" the controls, I easily shot a better group than needed to get me qualified for a CCW.... and I'm not really much of a marksman anymore.

If I wanted a concealable .45 auto, it's the one I'd buy right now.

I tried to persuade Mrs. deafrn to get one so I could warm it up for her, but she had to go and choose something else for herself. Women!
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:D
Deafrn: My bride insists on her little S&W .38 snubbie and wadcutters.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I'm waiting for the 9mm version early 2013. I shot the .45 version and I did not find it that controllable....accurate yes, but not controllable. Some of you guys with big NFL paws will have no problem.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It's funny you should mention this one. I bought an XDM 4.5 in .45acp awhile back, and it's a crackerjack. I don't care for a carry that big, but, I've been considering that baby XD. If it shoots as good as that XDM (which is dang good), it would be a dandy addition to the SD collection.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I've put 50rds through my FIL XDS.
Very nice pistol, shoots well and ate up everything we put in it. I'm not a big fan of recoil in a firearm I want to shoot a lot of, but I was very surprised at how little the recoil was. Fits in my front pocket better then my LCR and with less of an imprint.

I also liked the sights and at the 15-20 feet we were shooting it printed well inside the size of my hand and often much smaller.

Very nice!!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

Bill in Oregon wrote:
Deafrn: My bride insists on her little S&W .38 snubbie and wadcutters.
Some days I find myself thinking that a 2" SP101 loaded with non-"plus P" .38 JHPs is very likely to be what I'm going to end up with as my primary handgun. To be honest, I'd probably be okay with that.
WCF3030 wrote:I was very surprised at how little the recoil was.
That was the first thing I commented on when I gave the XD-s back, and the second thing I said was that if I could shoot a group that small with an unfamiliar pistol in a caliber I don't even own, what was it capable of if I practiced with it?
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Yeah, I was watching this nice young man work with his offhand to 100 yards ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtnDae4P2I8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hmmmm, I looked hard and long at the XD S guns that have come through the shop. They are thinner than my Colt Officer's Lightweight ACP but about, roughly, the same weight. Weight for me isn't the primary consideration. Caliber is close to the top. FEEL is a big thing. I prefer the Colt. Also, the Colt with a Chip McCormick mag can hold one more round. I've never fired the XD S but I think the Colt is controllable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Thanks alot. Another gun to add to the "I want" list.

Chris
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Chris83716 wrote:Thanks alot. Another gun to add to the "I want" list.

Chris
YEP best bunch of Co-independent ENABLERS around :lol: :oops:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon wrote:
Some days I find myself thinking that a 2" SP101 loaded with non-"plus P" .38 JHPs is very likely to be what I'm going to end up with as my primary handgun.
the Ruger SP-101 with a 2 1/4" tube is a great choice (optional .38spl or .357mag)...I own one...actually i have always had one since they were introduced...i use and carry a Glock 27 on a daily basis because of LE commitments...but in the end i'm still a revolver guy... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.