CCW permit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

CCW permit

Post by Dewight »

I've often thought about getting a conceled carry permit, but it was never a high priority. After the Sandy Hook school shooting I got to thinking how terrible I would feel if Had been there and hadn't been able to stop it.

I've started the process by buying a Kahr MK 9 today and signing up for a class. I've made it through 66 years without being put in that position and hope I'm able to finish out my life in that vein.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CCW permit

Post by RIHMFIRE »

in todays world,.... it might be a good idea...
especially if you live or work near......
where 2 legged varmints roam.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

Glad you live in an enlightened county of Kali :?
Good little gun, just be sure you understand the part explaining the 200rds needed for a thorough
break-in of the gun. 8) After break-in, then see what kind of defensive ammo the both of you like. :)
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Just a little South of You there is a Guy with the same mindset, "Me" I've thought about it but that is as far as it got. I have a Kahr PM9 but don't know if that is what I would use, too many other choices. Good Luck in Your endeavor.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

This is my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. I feel that every adult that is familiar with firearms, owns them, hunts, goes to the range and punches paper, etc, should absolutely have a CCW. It is the duty of a responsible, capable individual to do their very best to insure the safety and well being of their loved ones, and themselves, and society. I NEVER leave the house without a sidearm, because sure as heck the one time I don't want to mess with it will be the day we are victimized. How would you feel if you were stuck thinking, "if only I had my gun"?
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:It is the duty of a responsible, capable individual to do their very best to insure the safety and well being of their loved ones, and themselves, and society.
Yep. I tell my patients who inquire about firearms that they should just go ahead and get the CCW, even if they never wind up carrying outside of their house. The other option (not getting a permit, then later-on suddenly having a need to 'carry') - doesn't work so well.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Wyoming requires no permit for open or concealed carry. Concealed carry permits are available for Wyoming residents who wish to travel outside the state, to jurisdictions which have Wyoming reciprocity...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

TedH wrote:This is my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it. I feel that every adult that is familiar with firearms, owns them, hunts, goes to the range and punches paper, etc, should absolutely have a CCW. It is the duty of a responsible, capable individual to do their very best to insure the safety and well being of their loved ones, and themselves, and society. I NEVER leave the house without a sidearm, because sure as heck the one time I don't want to mess with it will be the day we are victimized. How would you feel if you were stuck thinking, "if only I had my gun"?
+1
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

When the Wife and I took it I was suprised how much I really didn't know or think about the whole concealed carry thing. Opened My Eyes,I learned alot. I agree,Every Gun owner should take the course.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

We all have a duty to be armed...

I have CC'd since 2001. And now that Oklahoma has OC, that is how I carry.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had mine for several years, finally got my dad to get his about a year ago. He was at one of his rental properties, asked a neighbor to park his vehicles on his own property ( silly request right!) and the guy blew up. Made several threats and really gave my dad a scare and at 71 years old he's not going to beating anyone up.

my mother took the ccw class with me but she's not comfortable carring it with her. She did tell me that she wants a .410 for her house gun. I'll be picking up one of the little Mossberg Home Defense guns shortly.

I'd never forgive myself if I were in one of these situations and didn't have my pistol.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I agree that everyone should carry a firearm for their and their loved ones defense. I don't agree with the CCW concept as that is just another registration list for the govt to look at when they decide we are no longer citizens and have become servants of the crown.

Be that as it may as soon as we can we will be getting the damnable permits. I'm too old to fight, to stove up to run away, and not of the mind set to stand and get pummeled.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

Unless I'm heading somewhere where it would be a felony to have my ccw pistol - I have my pistol and spare ammo. When I get up in the morning, and get dressed the pistol goes in the holster. When I go to bed in the evening the pistol goes in the open safe. If I am unable to take the pistol I lock the safe. I believe in carrying my pistol in my home, working in the yard, out in public. Like others have said, I would never forgive my self if I did not have my pistol when I should have, and we all have a duty to prevent evil from happening.

The world is a rough place, and getting rougher every day. Home invasions, flash mobs, crazy and evil people are more and more prevalent, so I believe in mid size high capacity pistols with spare mags. I don't want to face down an angry flash mob with a snubby 38 with 5 rounds It might scare them off, but it might not.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Dewight wrote:I've often thought about getting a conceled carry permit, but it was never a high priority. After the Sandy Hook school shooting I got to thinking how terrible I would feel if Had been there and hadn't been able to stop it.

I've started the process by buying a Kahr MK 9 today and signing up for a class. I've made it through 66 years without being put in that position and hope I'm able to finish out my life in that vein.
I'm in the same boat. It's nearly impossible to get a carry permit in So. CA so when I moved to Oregon a permit was high on my list of things to do. But stuff gets in the way and I haven't gotten to, yet. I got an application and I'm going ahead with the process now as I believe the backlash form the receint shootings may have an effect on personal carry...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Smart move.

Like many here, I'm not afraid to die, I just ain't dying "stupid". I'll let The Lord take me, not some AH who is mad at the world and I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time.-------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've had a CC permit for 8 years now and I got it for a number of reasons. First, when my wife and I travel, I like to include a pistol in case we break down in some lonely, out of the way place. Second, having a CCW permit eliminated many issues (accidental loaded weapons, etc.) when transporting firearms in my vehicles, say to and from the range or out into the mountains. Third, when carrying out in the woods, a CCW permit simplifies any meeting with the authorities.

I thought that I'd rarely use it for general carry, however, over the years I've found I carry it more and more just in case. Another advantage is learning the legal requirements of carry helps one to understand what is permissible and what's not in my state. Lastly, I was pulled over once (barely rolling through a residential stop) while driving and carrying and even though it's not required by state law, I announced that I was carrying. The officer asked to see my weapon, a Glock 23 with TruGlo TFO sights and we spent the next 10 minutes talking about the pros and cons of those sights over his and then our respective firearms collections.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I wish it was easier to get in San Diego county. I didn't worry as much 15 years ago, but since then the bad element has spread out into the nicer parts of town.

Side note: I was back home in Oklahoma for Thanksgiving, filling the rental up at a quick stop, when the occupants of a couple of SUVs had a difference of opinion and opened fire. The surprising thing was in the seconds it took to get the wife in the car and get out of their way, I only noticed one other person who realized what was going on.
RandyC
Levergunner

Post by RandyC »

It is a freedom. I would urge everyone to exercise it.

Getting your permit you will probably be encouraged to carry at all times. The saying applies: If you're going someplace you think you might need a gun ... don't go.

There's wisdom there. You don't get to pick the time or place. You adversary will. Carry and pray you never have to use it. But be of a mindset and training to prevail. The world needs sheepdogs.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Walker,

Sadly there are a lot of people who suffer from severe headimous rectumous.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Get one! Small price to pay for freedom.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Way to go Dewight!

We are very fortunate to have a pro-gun sheriff here in Shasta County. When I got my permit last summer, I went to the sheriff's office as required so they could inspect my three chosen firearms and verify serial numbers. (We are allowed only three firearms on a CCW permit in California :( )
It was just at lunchtime, and the office was empty. I was prepared to wait in the lobby until it opened an hour later, and had just set my locked gun case down on the floor when who should come through a door but the sheriff himself headed out to lunch. He saw my case and asked if I was there for a concealed weapon permit. I said I was, and he came over, firmly shook my hand, and said "Thank you for getting a CCW in Shasta County." I thanked him in return for being pro-carry, and then he went on his way.

Hey Dewight, ask me about my new holster next time I see you.

Tim
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

There are two major reasons to consider when deciding if you want to deal with the hassle of obtaining a concealed weapon permit, if your state requires one for personal carry. I don't think they were covered above; but admittedly time is short and I quickly scanned the comments. Here they are:

#1) It gets harder and harder to obtain approval for, and receive your permit. Each year or two, there are more restrictions and bureaucratic involvement, and therefore more paperwork, hassle, delays, and expense. Once you have one, it is easier to renew than to get a permit for the first time. And who knows if and when the current Administration is finally successful in banning all future CCW's? It is harder to take away an existing permit than it is to deny it.

This is my observation in my actual county of residence - one of the few counties in California (apparently) that is CCW friendly. Yet there is now a requirement to sit through a gun training class and lay down more cash for the training, paperwork, and so on, vis-a-vis several years ago. Back then, my wife just had to fill out some home-produced paperwork, get fingerprinted (for free at the Sheriff's Office), and take the gun out with the Sheriff's Rangemaster and fire a few rounds into a 15 yard target.

And I have worked across the state and seen similar trends - more difficulty in obtaining permits - in a few other California counties.

As a further fr'instance, in my county I currently have a respectable number of firearms on my permit - never mind how many. But I was advised that the next CCW issuance replace the paper permit to a laminated plastic one. It is more durable and harder to forge. But it also will be smaller in size, which will limit the number of firearms I will be authorized to legally carry, I was told. I don't carry several concealed firearms at once, but it is nice to be able to select a concealable firearm that is suitable for the weather and occasion - such as a heavier piece in bear country, or a smaller firearm at the beach. Or for that matter, an alternate firearm if one is in the shop.

#2) If you are forced to defend yourself or your loved ones away from home and don't have a CCW, it will be too late to explain why you were carrying a concealed handgun when LE demands your gun for testing. Things can go very badly very quickly. And Leaving the scene puts you in great peril, criminally.

Nobody wants a police investigation. Nobody wants to shoot someone. But let's face it - why are you packing, anyway, if it is not for your personal protection? If that occurs, law enforcement will become involved - like it or not.