Saw 3 interesting possible aquisitions today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Saw 3 interesting possible aquisitions today

Post by Alan Wood »

Stopped by my favorite gun shop and in the bargain rack there were no less than 3 interesting firearms. None would be interesting to collectors as they are definitely not safe queens. One is a savage 325A in 30-30 for $250. Looks pretty light to me but seem to recall several members being impressed with the accuracy of there's. Another was a Remington model 81 in 300 Savage for $300 (I think). Not a safe queen by any means and what I have since seen called side springs on the magazine have been welded or soldered to the magazine. Likely more than once from what I saw. Not sure what to think of that. The other for about $350 is a browning A5 in 12 gauge. This would be my first shot gun so not much to say about it. Any comments about these? As I said none of these would be mistaken for safe queens they all have clearly been used as working firearms.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Saw 3 interesting possible aquisitions today

Post by Mescalero »

In my experience, That Browning is a kicker; and no one here who knows me here can accuse me of being recoil shy.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Thank you Mescalero! Hm a kicker according to someone who isn't recoil shy. I'll have to think about that. My range sessions are usually ended by my shoulder being too bruised! That for having too much fun to know when to stop. Hmmm
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I'm a dedicated believer in the use of an effective sissy pad. I have one of these on my Rem over/under 12 GA. After 9 rounds of trap, no shoulder pain, no discomfort whatsoever.
http://www.shooterpads.com/products.htm

Cheers,

Carl
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

The little Savage bolt gun can be very accurate. Weakest point is usually the trigger pull. I have a great fondness for the Remington 8/81. Have two 8s -- in .30 and .35 Remington. Agree with Mescalero on the recoil of the A5. Not much fun with heavy duck loads.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

Bill in Oregon wrote:The little Savage bolt gun can be very accurate. Weakest point is usually the trigger pull. I have a great fondness for the Remington 8/81. Have two 8s -- in .30 and .35 Remington. Agree with Mescalero on the recoil of the A5. Not much fun with heavy duck loads.
The bolt rifles of the Savage 340 type are typically very accurate. Not the best looking receiver design, side mount scopes. If you can get past the heavy triggers they are good shooters. That is a pretty good price for one.
Out of the three that you mentioned, it is the one that I would pick.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Think I will going back Tuesday (next time they are open I think) to take a close look at the 325. If not else it would take care of my 30-30 deficiency! Thank you all for your comments!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whichever of the rifles trips your trigger more.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...