Winchester making 73's again?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester making 73's again?

Post by Bridger »

I notice on the Gallery of Guns if you do a gun genie search under Winchester it actually pulls up an 1873, but it also says they are all allocated. What's the scoop?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester making 73's again?

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Interesting. I have no idea, but I doubt Winchester is building an 1873. However, they may be licensing their name to Uberti. Just a guess.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

That's a good possibility what Grizzly said. But I'd guess that IF the name "Winchester" appears on them, they may be made in Japan....which will definitely mean that the genius design elves employed there found a way to put a tang safety on them! I can't see Uberti manufacturing them just to put the "Winchester" name on them if Winchester mandated that an extra safety be installed. Uberti could just say "forget it" and keep making 'em the right way like they've been doing for so many years now.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I just checked galleryofguns.com and the description indicates there is a firing pin block safety. The only caliber available is 357 Magnum....A guy would have thought that they would have at least had the courtesy out of respect for their own rifle (and cartridge) to make this 73 in 44-40!
Winnetou
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winnetou »

The Winchester product number 534200137 does seem to pertain to a Model 1873 short rifle in .38/.357 calibre. A number of gun sale web-sites list this rifle, but “out of stock”. I found only one site, Zanders Sporting Goods, with a photograph:

http://shop2.gzanders.com/win-1873-shor ... alnut.html

A larger version of the picture:

From the picture, I should say this is not an Uberti product. The butt-stock is shaped like the original. The Gallery of Guns listing mentions that the tang is drilled and tapped for an aperture sight, and I don’t see any evidence of a tang safety. The rifle has the look of a Miroku product, but it is hard to discern much in the low-quality image.

It appears that this is an upcoming, or at least planned, Winchester product, priced to compete with Uberti.

I agree that Winchester should have started with a really fine model in .44-40, with original style finishes, and preferably with a 24-inch octagonal barrel. Yet it will be fascinating to see the 1873 for sale again under the Winchester name (though I hasten to add that Uberti’s rifles are excellent).
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i still cant get over the fact that an american icon is made in japan...
quality guns for sure...but....i probably would not buy one....
I have a couple of ubertis already...excellent quality too...
except for the heavy triggers

theres a definite difference in metal/blue finish
between the japchesters and uberti products...
i like the uberti finish better....its a deeper blue finish
at least thats what i have noticed...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Now this is very interesting!

Sure hope that isn't a ROUND barrel.....UGH!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

If they get them into the supply chain... they hit a home run with the cowboy action types. .357/38Spl is THE preferred caliber for the "go as fast as humanly possible" guys, and many of the not quite so competitive. It's a less expensive cartridge to reload for, and the rifle configuration in a 20" round barrel means it "looks" cool, and handles like a carbine!

With Ubertis in the 1200-1400 a truly "Winchester" marqued 1873 with a MSRP of $1299.99, I know many folks that will be rushing out to buy them! I know for a fact that I'd like my 1873 to be marqued "Winchester"...(even if it was made in Japan).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

The Japanese made Winchesters are fine quality. I own 3 1895's and 2 1886's. I would be very interested in a Winchester marked 73. I also would prefer it in 44-40. I would also be interested in a 38-40 or 32-20.
I shoot an Uberti yellowboy in 44-40 for cas. Its a very well made product also.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I'm with Griff.....the Winchester roll mark is all it takes to have me wanting one...
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have a Winoku 92 TD in 32-20. I love it and couldn't care less about the safety. However the rebound hammer is history one frigid cold weekend soon now that warranty is gone. I'm done buying $1200 dollar guns but if money wasn't an issue I'd buy one of these.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Bridger wrote:I'm with Griff.....the Winchester roll mark is all it takes to have me wanting one...
Me three! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'd rather buy a nice used Uberti for half that asking price, but that's just my 2¢.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I could be interested in the rifle in that Win picture, safety no issue. I actually like the tang one on my 94. First long gun I bought had a tang safety. Rebounding hammer - so far in about six rifles yet to have them not fire. What I don't like is a top eject tossing brass on my head.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...