Sight options for a Winchester 1894 SRC?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Sight options for a Winchester 1894 SRC?

Post by geobru »

I recently posted pics in the classified section of a 1920's vintage 1894 SRC that didn't have the usual rear ladder and front blade sights.

I'm posting these pictures out of curiosity. Would these sights have been an option in the 20's?

Does anyone have sight references that shed additional light on these sights?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Sight options for a Winchester 1894 SRC?

Post by Sixgun »

GeoBro,
That rear sight is a common Marbles buckhorn. Highly unlikely it was an option. They were popular in the day as I've managed to squirrel away a half dozen of them. The sight that belongs on the SRC is the typical ladder sight which sells for about $150---if you can find one. I believe Buffalo Arms sells a repo.

I installed Lyman tang sights on all of my SRC's.

The front sight has an add on to make the sight longer. It looks like you can remove it by knocking out the pin but what the heck, it don't look too bad.-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

geobru,

Those front sights were fairly popular around these parts and I have a few in my "box of sights". From different rifles that have come my way, they seemed to be used a lot on carbines in conjunction with tang sights and a Lyman flip down rear sight in the dovetail (sorry, I can't remember the model number.).
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks for the feedback. I'd never seen a front sight like that one.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

OldWin -- "Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he chambered another round." really like your tag line, made me laugh... :)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

30wcf,

Haha thanks! I saw this somewhere online or on a t-shirt or something. It made me laugh too!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.