35 rem part3?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

35 rem part3?

Post by n2t »

I saw part one and two of the 35rem ammo tests done by 35rem. He seemed to indicate that a part 3 or more were coming but I have not heard anything about that. I keep wondering how various 180grn .357mag/max bullets would work in the 35rem, especially the 180grn rem sjhp meant for the 357max, the 180grn hornady xtp with the two crimping areas, and the sierra tourney master 180grn..any work on his part 3?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 rem part3?

Post by 86er »

A lot of 357 bullets are .357 and 35 Rems usually need .358 or .359.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Agreed, but I've had ok luck with the 158grn fp/xtp at about 1900fps. Thing is I can hit 2300fps with a 180grn and I don't think the 158 will hold together well at that speed. As at 1900fps it tends to be very flat already. So I'm thinking, maybe one of the 180grn bullets at 2300fps would do better than expected. I did note that in the second 35rem bullet test, the 125grn hp/xtp came apart pretty good..but that's a very light bullet, I'm wondering how the 180s would hold up under the same test and which would do better. The rem corelocs are always a good option, as are some of the cast bullets and the 180grn spear flat point and even the 200grn sierra flat point if they ever release them again (haven't seen any in almost 2 years). But I always like to know what my options are.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have experimented quite a bit with the180 gr XTP. I've loaded it in 357 Mag, 360 DW and 357 Max all rifles. Also put it in 356 Win and 35 Rem. First, the rifles did not like them much. Less accuracy than .358 bullets on average and some yawning evident at close rang shots. What has become apparent is that the perfect muzzle velocity for the 180 gr XTP is between 1885 and 1950 fps which takes into consideration the impact velocity out to 125 yds. That is a pretty narrow window but just 50 fps slower or faster and the results become inconsistent in actual on-game performance. Sure they still shoot and can be very lethal but over the course of ranges, shot placement and animal size the inconsistency outside of that velocity range will quickly bite you in the butt. My sons shoot a 360DW with a 16.5" barrel. The 180 gr XTP leaves the barrel at 1920 fps. I spent so much time with this in conjunction withGrizzly Cartridge because I am putting the fate of the animals and the success of 6 and 7 year old boys on this bullet. We shoot over 100 animals in hunting, cull and stock harvest to reach these conclusions. Our clients love shooting this rile because of the low noise, lack of recoil and deadly performance in a compact, accurate package. My boys andI have taken 29 animals between us and every recovered bullet looks identical to the others. There have only been 6 recovered! No shot has been more than 135 yds measured w rangefinder. This includes deer, antelope, goats, hogs, oryx, addax, bison, elk and waterbuck. How's 22" shoulder to shoulder through and through penetration on a 800 pound bison @ 68 yards? This bullet definitely has a sweet spot where it performs perfectly. I usually don't give such strong advice but with this I have fired over 300 rounds and tried 5 different 180 gr and 4 different 158 gr bullets at velocities from 1300 fps to 2400 fps. I have done the homework for you. With all confidence, if you launch the 180 gr XTP @ 1885 fps to 1950 fps and keep shots to 125 yds you will get repeatable outstanding bullet performance.
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Hm..that sounds like the perfect bullet for the GFs 357mag levergun, the same one she killed the two hogs with last time we were out. I don't think I can hit those speeds out of my revolver so I'm going to have to stay with the 158grn hp/xtp in that gun, which should also do quite well. 22" of penetration on bison is quite impressive, that's more penetration than the 7mm-08 with a 139grn sst at 2800fps. Considering that when I am back from afghanistan I want to purchase a 357mag levergun as well..I think I've found the bullet I'm trying first. Seems that I'm also not going to hit a big game worthy load with the pistol bullets in my 35rem, which I was actually expecting. I always have 2 good loads with the core locs and the spear flat points..but I may try casting my own when I get back as well. Always good to know someone with a similar cal and a ton of animals to shoot, nothing like on game performance to really tell how a bullet is going to behave. Thanks for the detailed reply, really appreciate it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Speer makes a 180 gr.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Paco wrote about the RP 180gr Soft point "Scallop point" pistol bullets worked great in the 35Rem above 2000fps. I never tried any cause Midway was always out of them. Now they are fairly expensive.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Yeah I had read the same thing. My gun has always gotten decent accuracy with the 158grn bullets, in the end I'll probably end up casting for it and keeping a few rem corelocs around. But seeing as I can't shoot right now, I like to muse about the only gun I haven't settled on a load for yet. I also know I can easily get the 180s up to speed in the 35rem..but in a 357mag I think I would be stuck around 1600-1700fps max with a lil gun load..so I guess the gf will keep using the 158s she's had such good luck with. I will be trying those 162s in her 7-08 though, the 139sst just doesn't seem to want to stay together and is quite destructive on meat.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

In the 7mm-08 you should try the 150 gr Swift Scirocco @ 2700 fps!
Professional Hunter

SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
DWWC - Member
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Yep, you mentioned those were quite effective on an african game hunt, though I thought you said you were using the heavier ones, was it the 150s?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

When you get to hunting up a mold for casting bullets, you'd think any nice heavy bullet meant for 357 revolvers but sized about .359 would work fine. Well, they don't necessarily work out so well.

The normal 35 Remington chamber has virtually no freebore, so a 180 grain pistol bullet has to be seated so deep you have a grease groove extending below the base of the case neck. This is never conducive to good accuracy.

Both Lyman and RCBS make molds specifically for the 35 Rem that throw a 200 grain bullet with a bore-ride nose that you can seat out long enough not to have the grease grooves below the case neck. I'd suggest you get one of these for most satisfactory cast bullet loading in your 35 Rem, although you may do OK with a lighter revolver bullet that is short enough to be seated appropriately. The RCBS has a flat-nose and so should give a better "thump" if used on game than does the round-nose Lyman.

I learned this stuff the hard way, of course. I have a beautiful LBT mold that throws both plain-base and gas-check 180 grain bullets that I use in my revolvers. I was looking forward to using the gas-check ones in the 35 Remington (in fact, this mold was a big push behind my acquisition of my first 35 Remmy). Hah! never could get the accuracy I expected, other than one of my 35's that has a non-standard chamber that can take the bullets seated farther forward.

Smarter fellows would go ahead and alter the throat on their rifle to accommodate the pistol bullet, but I've been reluctant because all the jacketed bullets meant for 35 Rem velocities are constructed to accommodate the standard chamber. I just went ahead and ordered up the appropriate mold and have been happy with the results. And the 180 grain gas-check LBT bullet finally found a home when I got a Rossi 92 in 357.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
n2t
Levergunner 2.0

Post by n2t »

Oh I agree there, and I just made the order, RCBS 35-200. Other than the ranch dog..this seems to be THE mould for the 35rem. And as it's my birthday, midway usa gave me a nice discount, cost me 67 dollars. Looks like I'll be casting for the 35 when I get home. May have a new toy or two for my next 86er run texas hog hunt..or something a bit bigger, and watusi shaped..