Rossi 92.0 Rust Bluing - Pilkington vs. Brownells

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Rossi 92.0 Rust Bluing - Pilkington vs. Brownells

Post by FatJackDurham »

I finally got to the point where the butt stock had been sanded and restarted so many times, it's hopeless. I am definitely going to need to order a new, unfinished stock. However, I did get good practice, and I am now certain polyurethane is my least attractive option. I am having good results with tung oil over the stain. However, I think Linseed oil over bare wood is probably the nicest in my opinion.

So, I am moving on to rust bluing the receiver and barrel assembly. I am using Pilkington this time around instead of Brownells classic blue, because I made the mistake of thinking that is what I had used on my Springfield. I am not liking the Pilkington at all. On the buttstock plate and magazine tube, it definitely seemed to leave a brown tint. I thought maybe the water wasn't reaching good boiling temperature, so I bought a three burner propane camping stove and am using that on the barrel and receiver. However, I am seeing again different coloration in different parts of the metal. It's very annoying!

The receiver is turning nice black rust during boiling, but the barrel is staying brown and not gray! I even resanded, used blue and rust remover, degreased again and started from scratch, and it's still staying brown. Now, it is a part of the barrel I had used cold blue on, same as the mag tube, so I wonder if that has had an effect, but I sanded pretty vigorously with 180 and then 220 grit.

I don't remember seeing issues like this with the brownell's classic rust blue.... Does anyone having any thoughts or have you had this issue? The Brownells is much cheaper, that is for sure, so I might just order some and start over, but I wanted your input.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rossi 92.0 Rust Bluing - Pilkington vs. Brownells

Post by Wayne Miller »

I have used Brownell's and Pilkingtons both, but have come to prefer Laurel Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown and Degreaser". http://www.laurelmountainforge.com I have found it to be MUCH more forgiving that the other two products, plus it also acts as it's own degreaser. Take a look at their website for prices and very detailed instructions on how to use their product.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rossi 92.0 Rust Bluing - Pilkington vs. Brownells

Post by FatJackDurham »

Wayne Miller wrote:I have used Brownell's and Pilkingtons both, but have come to prefer Laurel Mountain Forge "Barrel Brown and Degreaser". http://www.laurelmountainforge.com I have found it to be MUCH more forgiving that the other two products, plus it also acts as it's own degreaser. Take a look at their website for prices and very detailed instructions on how to use their product.
Nice! Thanks for that!