The bears are coming out

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

The bears are coming out

Post by Malamute »

Was up on the mountain again today, wasted another day,.......didn't see as many animals this time, only about 100 or so deer, and a couple hundred elks. They looked exactly like the elks and deer I saw last sunday, so I didnt shoot any more pics.

Talking to some of the locals that live up on the mountain, the word is that bear tracks have been seen in several places over the past week. It's been in the 40's to low 60's down below, and apparently warm enough up there to get the bears stirring. I left the 30-30 in the truck today and took a bigger gun walking. I just had a feeling, even before I heard it from others.

Oh, almost forgot. Talked to a lady a week ago, she had 2 mountain lions follow her when she was walking. They kept pace and went ahead of her a couple times and waited. Growled some, but didnt advance any closer than 30 feet or so. She fired a couple shots with her 38 at them but they didnt seem impressed. I told her to get better loads than the RN lead she had, and maybe a bigger gun. I think she understands. She said something about getting a bear rifle. She had a German Shepherd and a pocket size dog with her at the time. They may have been wanting the pocket size dog. The dogs were smart enough to stay close to her.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I imagine that "pocket sized dog" looks like a "McNugget" to them!
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

"The dogs were smart enough to stay close to her."

They were probably just saying: "and rememeber we just have to outrun the lady!"
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Some of those pocket sized dogs have bigger marbles than big dogs.

They are definitely better than no dog at all also, dogs are always alert and
will save your butt when your skipping through the woods thinking of other
things. Best "early warning" ever created.

If you get hungry I hear they taste pretty good too :shock:

Someday if I ever learn (or get the time to do it) how to digitize VHS tapes
I have a couple instances of me and friends getting run out of campsites in
the Adirondacks (Blue Mt. Lake and Raquette Lake).
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Kinda reminds me of the fella that had a great dane dog.
He wanted to go into a restaurant so he tied the great dane up to a light pole out front. A few minutes a man came in and asked, does anyone here own a great dane dog? The fella walked up and said I do. The second man says well I'm real sorry but my chihuahua just killed your great dane. The fella says what? How could that little dog kill my great dane. The guy says he got stuck in his throat.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

On the subject of dogs. I was coming out of the Thorofare with a packstring full of elk. About 1 mile from the trail head we ran smack into a sow and 2 cub grizzlies. She was fairly beligerent but finally left the trail. When we got past a ways she came back out to the same place. We got to the trailhead and was immediately accosted by an old couple and their daughter about us killing those beautiful elk. Got called everything but a whiteboy by that younger woman. When they were through I asked where they were headed and was told the destination, which would take them right past the bears. I asked if they wanted to borrow my 45-70. Of course they denied, but wanted to know why. I said so you can shoot that darn bear when it chases your little dog back between your shaking legs!
Guess I shoulda just let them go. No bear spray or hiker bells. Could have been interesting.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: The bears are coming out

Post by cubrock »

Malamute wrote:Was up on the mountain again today, wasted another day,....... Oh, almost forgot. Talked to a lady a week ago, she had 2 mountain lions follow her when she was walking. They kept pace and went ahead of her a couple times and waited. Growled some, but didnt advance any closer than 30 feet or so. She fired a couple shots with her 38 at them but they didnt seem impressed.

Any mountain lion that got 30 feet or so from me would be a dead one. They can close 10 yards a whole lot faster than most mortals can draw and shoot.
.........THE TWINS..........

Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

+1 on that cubrock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Bill, try catnip for the kitties, and heck I'd just throw rocks at them bears, or use a .357, we all know they scare easy.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Hey Frank, I was thinking about trying a slingshot this year, for both kitties and bears.

I'm also going to load up some 35 Whelen loads, have some 250 gr Nosler Partitions, and a few Barnes 300's. Not anxious to shoot that particular rifle tho the way my shoulder has been feeling. Getting a real soft pad installed Thursday.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I've gotta say that I quit using partitions in my Whelen. They just seemed to whistle right through an elk and not open up. When I changed to the Hornady and Speer 250's they started dropping the elk faster. In my experience Partitions are good at magnum velocities. Just my two bits.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Interesting information Wes. The Partitions I used in the 338 were very nasty even on deer. LOTS of bloodshot meat. They obviously opened up. I havent used any of the 35 Partitions yet. I may try the Hornady 250's. I have a box or two. Were you getting exits on elk with the Hornady's?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Those mountain lions must not have been hungry is all I can say.
"That'll Be The Day"
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Yes, still got exits. I like two holes in an elk also. Seems like the exit holes were bigger with the Hornady. Noticed a lot more shock with them. Interesting thing was, my friend who hunts with a 338-06 found the same with 250's in that cal at those velocities also.
I'd like to try the 225 partition in my Whelen, but have a slew of 250's on hand. Some people don't agree, but I had real good luck with the 225 Ballistic Tips in the Whelen on elk. The 2 boxes I have are marked from Nosler 35 Whelen 358 Ballistic Tips.
Still, when I get back where the grizzler's are I l like the 250 Hornadys. My rifle shoots them real good with RL-15.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I've heard that a 35 Whelen with a max load of RL-15 and a Speer 250 will shoot all the way through a black bear from north to south. I haven't had a chance to try it yet with my whelen, but I'm looking forward to it.

JP
JP_TX
444 Marlin
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:Hey Frank, I was thinking about trying a slingshot this year, for both kitties and bears.

Not sure about that slingshot there Bill, seems a might overkill. A real man would be comfortable around those teddy bears with a pointy stick. Besides, don't you watch any Disney films? If you just show those bears you love them, they will cuddle right up to you and keep you warm at night.

If you go out in the woods today
You're sure of a big surprise.
If you go out in the woods today
You'd better go in disguise.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic.

If you go out in the woods today,
You'd better not go alone.
It's lovely out in the woods today,
But safer to stay at home.

For every bear that ever there was
Will gather there for certain, because
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

Every teddy bear, that's been good
Is sure of a treat today
There's lots of wonderful things to eat
And wonderful games to play

Beneath the trees, where nobody sees
They'll hide and seek as long as they please
Today's the day the teddy bears have their picnic

Malamute wrote: I'm also going to load up some 35 Whelen loads, have some 250 gr Nosler Partitions, and a few Barnes 300's. Not anxious to shoot that particular rifle tho the way my shoulder has been feeling. Getting a real soft pad installed Thursday.

Is that Whelen built on one of those ratty Mauser knockoffs you like so much? :lol:
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

This particular specimen is a Ruger 77 w/ tang safety. The 1903 Springfield .35 needs a stock.

I have a few 220 gr loads for the ratty Whitworth Mauser in '06 tho. May give that one a whirl. Have a few Nosler partitions in 180 gr gathering dust around here too. I don't think I'm up to the ratty Mauser in 375 H&H with this bum shoulder. I carried the .375 one day last fall up on the mountain. As I was walking around, the thought suddenly came over me, "Dang! I REALLY hope I don't have to shoot this!!!"
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:The 1903 Springfield .35 needs a stock.
I like the sound of that one.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

TomD wrote:"The dogs were smart enough to stay close to her."

They were probably just saying: "and rememeber we just have to outrun the lady!"
That was the first thing that came to mind here...:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Yep, we got ba'r starting to skulk about here. Skunk cabbage is starting to come up, the bear follow it. Starting to see where they are coming out to eat the cambius layer on the fir trees where I hike.

Cats are always everywhere. Not only where I hike, but right outside the house here!

Jeff
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I don't even get exited anymore about mtn lion problems in the news here in CO. Stupid commie CA transplants are crying about them being hunted, and then wailing to the authorities when they are so overpopulated they grab teenage girls jogging in parks down in the Boulder foothills, along with cats, dogs, and whatever else. Took the DOW mtn lion online certification course last year so I could try for a kitty this year, but school is taking over at this point.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

We have a fair number of them around here. So far they havent caused too much trouble,........I dont go out the door at night without a gun. But, then again, I don't go out the door in the daytime without one either.

For those that don't know, I go out at night fairly often, as I don't have "facilities" in the house. Have water, just didnt have room for a bathroom. Thats a separate little house. It has water too. :D
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:We have a fair number of them around here. So far they havent caused too much trouble,........I dont go out the door at night without a gun. But, then again, I don't go out the door in the daytime without one either.

For those that don't know, I go out at night fairly often, as I don't have "facilities" in the house. Have water, just didnt have room for a bathroom. Thats a separate little house. It has water too. :D
This is me biting my tongue. :lol:
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Malamute wrote:For those that don't know, I go out at night fairly often, as I don't have "facilities" in the house. Have water, just didnt have room for a bathroom. Thats a separate little house. It has water too. :D
Well malamute, I am 'zackly bassackwards to you! I have room for the bathroom, just don't have water in the house yet :shock:

Jeff
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

When I get my REAL house built, it's going to have water AND a bathroom. Both. Right there inside the house.

No, really.

I heard it's becoming common now.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Malamute wrote:When I get my REAL house built, it's going to have water AND a bathroom. Both. Right there inside the house.

No, really.

I hear women like that in the house plumbing thing. Might help you catch something. You are going all out and putting in a kitchen too right? Makes it hard for a woman to cook and do dishes without one.
Jeff Pitts
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Jeff Pitts »

Malamute wrote:When I get my REAL house built, it's going to have water AND a bathroom. Both. Right there inside the house.
Wow! You uptown folks! No kidding, you can poop right there in the house, huh? :D :D :D
Man, what'll people think of next. Probably lights or something where all you have to do is flip a switch instead of lighting the lantern....... :wink:

Jeff