Mossberg 464 vs. Remlin 336?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Mossberg 464 vs. Remlin 336?

Post by L_Kilkenny »

A friend of mine is looking to get his first .30-30 and despite my urging to get a used model he is pretty set on a new gun. Other the obvious marlin vs. winchester design/handling differences what would be the plus', minus' and comparison between the 2? Function? Reliability? Durability? Finish?

Thanks,
LK
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 464 vs. Remlin 336?

Post by .45colt »

I would Wish Him Good Luck with either one. :) .
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There have been good and not so good of both - last I saw of each looked good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd stay away from the new Remington made Marlins till they get their quality control issues worked out. Personally, I'd rather hold on to my money for a decent pre64 Win 94 or a post 94 Bigbore. You can add in the Browning 86's and 71's Sometimes its better to handle and shoot a few different models and buy what you want just once :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If he has the motivation for a really fine rifle, a new Miroku 94 would be the berries...Personally, I know for a fact that he could pick up a perfect, almost like new 336 for 300-350....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Ask him to look hard at the new Henry 30-30!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
1894c

Post by 1894c »

besides having thicker furniture than I like...my REM-Marlin 336BLis a good shooter (accurate), there are no gaps where the stock and the metal meet, the action is smooth, no hang-ups (300+ factory and reloads shot)..i was thinking about sending it down the road, but decided to keep it because in the end it's a great levergun...i personally would recommend one... :)

P.S.-- I contacted Steve Young who gave me a source to have the stocks reduced...thank you Steve you're a great resource... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I would buy a nice used JM Marlin and call it a day. I do have one of the 464's and its an ok gun. Better than a Remlin, but not as good as a Marlin.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

86er wrote:Ask him to look hard at the new Henry 30-30!
Amen to the Henry- American quality with customer service second to none and the best part NO UGLY superfluous tang or hammer-block safety, just your good old fashioned halfcock hammer. :wink:

I'd buy a Rossi Rio Grande over a new Marlington or Mossberger. :roll:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would have bought the last one I saw.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

30wcf wrote:besides having thicker furniture than I like...my REM-Marlin 336BLis a good shooter (accurate), there are no gaps where the stock and the metal meet, the action is smooth, no hang-ups (300+ factory and reloads shot)..i was thinking about sending it down the road, but decided to keep it because in the end it's a great levergun...i personally would recommend one... :)
well...went to my LGS today with the REM-Marlin 336BL--why, because i spotted a Pre-64 Win.94 last week, (really hate this forum, you guys are a bad influence)...soooooo went in with the REM-Marlin, after some discussion traded the REM-Marlin for the Win.94...they gave me a good deal on the trade...

This Winchester 1894 was made in 1958 and is in good condition---good bore, fit and finish is about 90%, action is tight, smooth, one slight thin scratch on the right side of the receiver---and the stocks are what they should be thin, comfortable and have that nice old used gun look...this is my second used Win.94 within the last 60 days (PICS will come when i get it out of hock in 3 weeks). Would I still recommend a REM-Marlin yes, but as you can see i actually voted with my $$$...sure glad they made a bunch of Win.94's...USED is a great way to go... :)
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Thanks for the info guys, glad to see the Mossberg isn't the turd it was rumored to be when they first came out.

As for the Henry... Looks like a great option but price seems about double the other 2. My imagination?

As for used options.... you can talk to me about em till you're blue in the face. I won't argue and I've done the same with my buddy. He's decided that he wants a new gun and that's that. Doesn't make sense to me but it's his money.

Thanks again.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Some years ago, I purchased a Sears Model 100, Winchester 94, in hardly-used condition, for the princely sum of $125. The dealer took it on a trade and just wanted it gone. I think it was only used for hunting; it had hardly any wear.

There are many leverguns out there that fit that description, ie., just used on hunting trips, with low round counts. If money is an issue, they are an excellent bet. A fair bit of reloading equipment could be bought with the savings.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Perfectly happy with my Mossy 464. Shoots straight and any initial action bugs have ceased to exist with use. The model used to have extractor issues, but they were ironed out in the first generations. Mine is a Davidson's and for a guy who rotates his firearm collection like a merry-go-round for the next shiniest thing, the 464 is a permanent resident even outlasting the pre-Remlin Marlin 336 SS.

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Not to be contrary but every Mossberg 464 we have sold has been returned.
I have a 1951 Marlin in 35 Rem that is smooth as glass but if I was buying
new it would be a Henry.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Bullard4075 wrote:Not to be contrary but every Mossberg 464 we have sold has been returned.
new it would be a Henry.
Every?
Statistical absolutes tickle my spidey senses...
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

COSteve wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:Not to be contrary but every Mossberg 464 we have sold has been returned.
new it would be a Henry.
I have to agree with Panzercat; all is a mighty tall statistical hill. How many have you sold? When was the last one sold produced? If all is 1 rifle, then while accurate, it isn't statistically significant. If your store only carried the initial models, then I could understand your statement as they did initially have problems, however, mine was produced in Feb, 2010 and it's had zero issues.

Further, I know of 3 other gents at our range who've bought one after I bought mine. All 3 have the straight birch stock model and none of them has had a problem last time I checked (about 4 months ago). All 4 of us have decent collections and we're not afraid to get rid of something that doesn't work well but we all are quite pleased with them. One was thinking of getting a pistol grip version and giving his current one to his son for Christmas but I haven't seen him in awhile so I don't know it he actually did or not.

I know that 4 isn't a large sample either but 4 with no problems is considerably different than Bullard4075's All. Each of of us have put well over 200rds through their rifles (I'm over 400rds) and no one has reported a problem save for the fact that ammo prices are too high. In addition, two of the guys have scoped theirs and claim decent accuracy even out to 200yds. I like mine with just the original sights; sans a 'carry handle'.
OK guys you got me. I know of half a dozen or so that were sold and came back. ALL meant, all that I knew of. I shouldn't have said "ALL" and should have been more accurate. I should have known anytime one criticizes any given firearm there is one or more in the conversation that has or likes
said firearm and takes offense. Sorry. But to add fuel to the fire I will opine that in my handling (not firing!) and observation of this firearm it does not equal an older Marlin or new Henry. YMMV. My apologies to those offended.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Haven't shot the Mossberg, but the three examples I've seen (over 2 years) were reasonable enough to make me interested.

I've shot many 94s, many 336s, prefer Marlins, and have owned a Glenfield 30 and a 1894 Marlin in .44.

The Mossberg is close to the Winchester in action type just looking at it, and nice enough to please the eye without costing a fortune if I ding it using it.

All my guns are tools, and leverguns are very definitely tools.

One may work it's way into my collection soon if I don't find a used Marlin somewhere.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I'd like to get one of the pistol grip/walnut stocked versions, but I wish they'd offer them in .44 mag.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright