Lee hand reloading press

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Lee hand reloading press

Post by Pitchy »

I ordered one today but won`t be in until next week and i want to build a box for it and other items.
Does someone have one and give me the length and width.
Thanks.

Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Lee hand reloading press

Post by alnitak »

Pitchy, the box the handpress comes in from Lee is 4 1/8" x 11 5/8" x 1 1/2", and is a pretty tight fitting box to the handpress (with instructions and a few cardboard flaps). Measuring the handpress itself, I get about 3 9/16" x 11 1/4" x 1 3/8". Hope this helps.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Don't have it at hand, but have loaded hundreds (thousands?) of rounds on one. The Lee carbide dies work great for doing pistol caliber loads. It's slow, but portable.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

You're going to love that press... 8) I started doing 45-70 on it....I just use the powder dippers, too.....with a couple practice runs, I can duplicate the scale weight.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Good Press I got two of them.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I started reloading on a Lyman nutcracker many years ago so when I saw one I just had to buy it.
It has sat since and only been out of the box once.
It looks like a fine tool but I just never seem to need to use it.
About the only loading operation I do in front of the TV is clean primer pockets and sort head stamps.
:D
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I use it and someday it will be my only press.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's great for some reloading, but for sizin' big BN cases, nuttin' beats a bench mounted press. It's regulated to decappin' & bullet seating chores at my place.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks guys just what i needed, now i can start makin the box today.
-20 this morn so good day to be in the shop. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Griff wrote:It's great for some reloading, but for sizin' big BN cases, nuttin' beats a bench mounted press. It's regulated to decappin' & bullet seating chores at my place.
Griff, I'm curious...I've been using the handpress since I started reloading about 8-9 years ago. The Lee carbide dies I use both decap and size in one step. What advantage is there to using a decap only die (I see that Lee has a universal one for up to .550")? You still need to buy another 3-4 dies for resizing, expanding, bullet seating and crimping (assuming a taper crimp die), so I don't see it saving any money, and it adds a step to the process. Could you enlighten this still novice reloader? For example, are there some of the larger calibers where two steps are needed because of the difficulty of sizing? I have only reloaded for straight-walled and tapered cases, so are rifle case dies different? Thanks for the education.

BTW, I have since picked up a single stage press that I use for decap/priming rather than the handpress. It is easier, but my arms no longer get the workout they used too! :lol: I also like using the handpress with the Lee FCD. There's a little "feel" you get when applying the crimp that is lost with the single stage press -- no difference in the crimp between the two but somehow more satisfying to this novice.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Two modifications I made to mine you want to consider...

1. I keep a piece of bicycle inner-tube slipped over the part of the press with the 'stop' that limits how far you squeeze it; the noise is less, but the 'endpoint' is still good. I was afraid that the constant impact would crack the pot-metal.

2. The more important modification was to drill a 'primer dump' hole in the side of the ram; the hole under the shell holder is a couple inches deep, but quickly fills with primers, and they have to come out the way they went in - through the little hole in the shell-holder. So I drilled a hole in the side they can fall out of.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJMD429 wrote:2. The more important modification was to drill a 'primer dump' hole in the side of the ram; the hole under the shell holder is a couple inches deep, but quickly fills with primers, and they have to come out the way they went in - through the little hole in the shell-holder. So I drilled a hole in the side they can fall out of.
I can fit 40-50 primers in the tube. I just dump it when it fills. With the hole approach, I assume you have to be decapping over a box or something to catch the spent primers? I like the handpress because I can sit in front of the TV watching a game and work on brass in 15-20 minute stages, e.g., decap/size 100-200 cases or bell the mouth, and not having to be in a specific place, like a workroom.

It's a good idea though, just like the hole in a single stage press.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

BlaineG wrote:I just use the powder dippers, too.....with a couple practice runs, I can duplicate the scale weight.
Amazing how accurate one can be with the dippers. I find the best technique is not to "scoop", which can compress the powder and cause inconsistency, but to push the back of the dipper "bowl" into the powder and let it fill naturally. I consistently am within 0.1 grains each time. I also picked up a spare set of Lee dippers to handle those "in between" charges. I file down the bowl lip until it drops just what I need for a favorite powder.

Alternatively, I saw that someone had made an adjustable dipper by soldering a 9mm case to a handle, with a nut on the bottom of the case. A screw came up through the bottom of the case and allowed him to adjust the volume of the dipper bowl (some have a washer inside the case). Sounds like a perfect Pitchy project!
Last edited by alnitak on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think the most consistent loads I ever made were with Lee dippers and Lyman 310. Malamute schooled me on the proper technique with the dippers, and Linebaughs chrono showed 10fps deviation for .480 Ruger loads.

I'm interested in the inner tube thing but can't quite visualize it AJ. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to drill the ram on that, I think when you take the shell holder out the primers pour out pretty easy, making disposing into a can easier, vs dropping out on the living room floor etc.

Other than that I love my Lee handpress, and for those saying it wont work well for BN cases, I've sized 300WM with mine.

I am still trying to come up with a nice case for mine for traveling, right now just have a small action packer setup, which may end up being all that's needed.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

sore shoulder wrote:Also, I'm not sure I'd want to drill the ram on that, I think when you take the shell holder out the primers pour out pretty easy, making disposing into a can easier
That is the secret...took me a time or two (I can be a little dense sometimes) struggling with dumping the primers with the shell holder in place to have a Duh! moment and just remove it.
sore shoulder wrote:I'm interested in the inner tube thing but can't quite visualize it AJ.
I think he means just take a slice of inner tube (probably 1/2"-1" wide), so you have a thick rubber band, and slip it over the press right where the little protrusion hits the part where the dies screw in.
Last edited by alnitak on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

its a neat tool, youll get alot of use outta it
I got one bout 30 years ago when I was cutting logs & camping out, mostly loaded
32H&R & 222, used the dippers also

-20 below :shock:

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

alnitak wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:I'm interested in the inner tube thing but can't quite visualize it AJ.
I think he means just take a slice of inner tube (probably 1/2"-1" wide), so you have a thick rubber band, and slip it over the press right where the little protrusion hits the part where the dies screw in.
Yep.

As far as the hole in the ram - no way does it affect strength enough to be a concern; I'm not that strong...! I typically would deprime several hundred at once, and would find out that the well was 'full' of primers when I couldn't de-prime any more, at which point sometimes I couldn't even get the shell holder out without picking the compacted primers out of its hole first. The way I do it now, I just keep on depriming, and use an old cookie-sheet (one never used for food) on the floor between my legs to catch the primers. Works great.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I dont have the Lee but have a Lyman 310 for my 45-70 being able to reload at the shooting bench is a very nice thing :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What ya think fellers. :)
The press will go in the outside slot when i get it.
The foam keeps things in place while transporting.

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice, Pitch. That'll be a sweet go-along outfit.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I have one of those with several sets of dies, and a Lee Loader in .45 acp that I keep in my a bag along with some powder, primers, cases and cast bullets. I can grab it and have everything I need for several pistol and rifle calibers. But Blaine reminded me I need to pick up some stuff to do 45-70.

The Lee Loader is as basic as it gets, but it works. You can drag it out and load a few anywhere but in the rain and snow.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Nice, pitchy! I should make one too.

I use the universal just to decap black powder rounds at the range before dropping in water.

I like that hole drilled in th side. Im going to do that to mine.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

alnitak wrote:. What advantage is there to using a decap only die (I see that Lee has a universal one for up to .550")? You still need to buy another 3-4 dies for resizing, expanding, bullet seating and crimping (assuming a taper crimp die), so I don't see it saving any money, and it adds a step to the process. Could you enlighten this still novice reloader? .
I use the universal to not resize the whole case. I only neck resize to seat the bullet, sometimes not at all. That way, the case is sized to the chamber. I have specific sets of brass per gun. I dont know how much difference it makes, though.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I use mine to sit front of TV whilst sizing brass :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks, gotta find me another set of 45-70 dies as i have these set for 45-60`s and don`t want to have to reset every time.
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

FatJackDurham wrote:I use the universal to not resize the whole case. I only neck resize to seat the bullet, sometimes not at all. That way, the case is sized to the chamber. I have specific sets of brass per gun.
Ahhh...now I understand. Thanks!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote:
Griff wrote:It's great for some reloading, but for sizin' big BN cases, nuttin' beats a bench mounted press. It's regulated to decappin' & bullet seating chores at my place.
Griff, I'm curious...I've been using the handpress since I started reloading about 8-9 years ago. The Lee carbide dies I use both decap and size in one step. What advantage is there to using a decap only die (I see that Lee has a universal one for up to .550")? You still need to buy another 3-4 dies for resizing, expanding, bullet seating and crimping (assuming a taper crimp die), so I don't see it saving any money, and it adds a step to the process. Could you enlighten this still novice reloader? For example, are there some of the larger calibers where two steps are needed because of the difficulty of sizing? I have only reloaded for straight-walled and tapered cases, so are rifle case dies different? Thanks for the education.

BTW, I have since picked up a single stage press that I use for decap/priming rather than the handpress. It is easier, but my arms no longer get the workout they used too! :lol: I also like using the handpress with the Lee FCD. There's a little "feel" you get when applying the crimp that is lost with the single stage press -- no difference in the crimp between the two but somehow more satisfying to this novice.
Yeah, for pistol cases or whatnot, it's cool. But, for my .40-90SBN, the empty case is 2.685" long, basically a ½" longer than a .45-70 and necked down to .408". It might just be my lack of upper body strength... or it might just be that hunk of brass!

Since I mostly shoot BP with the .40-90SBN, I want the cases in a solution quickly to start the cleaning process, and sometimes it might be a week between firing and finishing up the case prep, I don't want the steel anvil in the primer rusting, so I decap right away and dump the case in solution. Same with my .45 Colts. The .45Colts get reloaded on a progressive, and the .40-90SBN get sized on a single stage that has a quite a bit more leverage. After sizing, the cases get handprimed, then set aside for loading just before firing. I do keep about 50 rounds loaded with smokeless, but seldom use them, (strictly for cowboy side matches where smokeless is legal). Since I don't compete in BPCRS any more, the rifle doesn't get shot as much, so the extra steps in loading for it are not really that time consuming. A few weeks ago, I took it out to RKrodle's and we fired about 10 rounds between 3 of us. Pretty simple, pour about 85 grains of Goex Cartridge into a case, seat the bullet, and fire! Even for a single shot, it's still fun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Found a new set of 45-60`s on Ebay, yippy 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

Neat set pitchy!!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Pitchy, next project is to design a wall mount for when you need more leverage (sizing 30 carbine or something).

The press can slide into a plate which is mounted to the wall, then removed when done.

You'll see when you get it. Bottom line is it can function like a regular mounted press. If you don't do it I will.

Otherwise occupied today with a sick ukulele:
uke_sml.jpg
This one was received with the neck twisted and bridge 5 mm off center, and I didn't particularly like the sound of the wood used for the top. I could have sent it back to Hawaii but shipping alone would have been $50, and that wouldn't have changed the top wood.

So I ordered a piece of spruce ($25, and only used half of it), took it apart with a heat gun, reset the neck, trued up the fingerboard, and finally after two years of procrastination I decided to stop worrying and start fretting. Note the rough soundhole; I'm going to enlarge it to a clover shape as it will be used for Gaelic music.

Actually it was a snap; my neighbors thought there was a woodpecker in the courtyard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FatJackDurham wrote:
alnitak wrote:. What advantage is there to using a decap only die...?
Several for me:

1. I can use the decapping die to decap 'dirty' brass before I tumble it, and then the tumbling will also clean the decapped primer-pocket.

2. I can use the decapping die on my 'hand press' which is the one and only step I will do while "watching television" (due to safety concerns).

3. I can forget having to deprime on my table-mounted presses (which I use for the resizing and other reloading steps), which won't necessarily free up a turret-hole, since the sizing die is usually the 'decapping' one, but at least I don't have to deal with the spent-primer mess at the reloading bench.

alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

AJMD429 wrote:1. I can use the decapping die to decap 'dirty' brass before I tumble it, and then the tumbling will also clean the decapped primer-pocket.
I get that. I used to clean, then decap, then clean again. But then, I had to pick out media from the primer pockets. So now I just clean, decap/size, and use a hand primer pocket cleaning tool to clean them out (say 100 in 5 minutes). That way I don't run the risk of a clogged primer pocket.
AJMD429 wrote:2. I can use the decapping die on my 'hand press' which is the one and only step I will do while "watching television" (due to safety concerns).
So, it seems to me, that the only safety concerns with watching TV while using the handpress is when you actually drop powder into the case. I have no qualms about sitting there using the hand press during the decap/size, expand, and crimp steps. I even use the auto-prime watching TV, though most of my attention is making sure the primers are fed properly (right side up). Not sure how using a decap only vs. decap/size die is any less safe??
AJMD429 wrote:3. I can forget having to deprime on my table-mounted presses (which I use for the resizing and other reloading steps), which won't necessarily free up a turret-hole, since the sizing die is usually the 'decapping' one, but at least I don't have to deal with the spent-primer mess at the reloading bench.
Not having a turret press, I have no experience with this, so I don't know how a turret/progressive press handles spent primers. With my single stage, it seems straight-forward, with no additional mess. They get dumped into a box behind the press and I vacuum them out when it gets filled. Where do they go with a turret press? Do you have to have all four holes filled in a turret press, or can you use only three of them?
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Pitchy wrote:What ya think fellers. :)
The press will go in the outside slot when i get it.
The foam keeps things in place while transporting.

Very nice Pitchy. Your woodworking skills greatly exceed my amateur attempts.

Looking for some advice here...if I were to make a similar setup for travel to the range or camping, I'm thinking about a more compact setup. For example, maybe a box with a tray as the top layer, with the handpress in one half of the bottom layer (laying flat), and the Lee dies (in the factory case) and Lee autoprime in the other half (would have to be disassembled). The tray would be removable and contain primers, electronic scale, a compartment for 50-100 bullets and maybe some hand tools, like a pocket primer cleaner and case trimmer (I'd leave the powder dispenser home and rely on the dipper in the Lee die set). The whole thing could be something like a foot wide, nine inches deep and four to five inches tall. I'm envisioning something like a small cigar humidor -- no handle -- that could be put into a bag or backpack. Any ideas on an easy to make design??
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Good job on the ukulele El Chivo and thanks.

alnitak,Don`t know, i build as i go. Two sliding plates like the top on mine maybe?
Sounds like a good idea. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Got the press today, works good. :D

Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Times a'wastin'! Get busy reloading! :P :lol: :lol: I tell ya Pitchy, I really like the portability of the thing. I was able to take it a can of powder, prepped cases and some bullets out to Krodle Kountry a few weeks past and right there, loaded some up and let fly with some lead from my Sharps. Something great to be said for load development right where you're shooting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I really thought the Lyman 310 was cool, still do, but the Lee is a much more practical press due to being able to use standard dies, has a lot of leverage and it can full length size a 300 win mag case. Now, if they ever make one that can use their interrupted thread quick change die adapter, that to me would be the ultimate setup for the Lee hand press.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now, if they ever make one that can use their interrupted thread quick change die adapter, that to me would be the ultimate setup for the Lee hand press.
This one does, the new model has a bushing that releases with a button and a 1/4 turn. It comes with one as you see in the picture. Additional bushings can be ordered from Lee. Or you can just leave the bushing in place and screw your dies in like any other press. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Pitchy wrote:
Now, if they ever make one that can use their interrupted thread quick change die adapter, that to me would be the ultimate setup for the Lee hand press.
This one does, the new model has a bushing that releases with a button and a 1/4 turn. It comes with one as you see in the picture. Additional bushings can be ordered from Lee. Or you can just leave the bushing in place and screw your dies in like any other press. 8)
OMG WANT!!!!!!!!!!!
11B30