Swaging primer pockets.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Swaging primer pockets.....

Post by centershot »

I have two 1 gallon jugs full of military .223 cases that have been languishing under my bench for......well, a long time. As it is winter, and cold, and lake-effect snow blowing in (again!), I thought that it would be a good time to prep this brass. Especially since I have run out of brass to prep in all of the calibers that I actually have rifles for (no, I don't own a 223, yet)! No, I am not experiencing a shortage of brass, I'm well stocked, just that everything else is all prepped and/or loaded!

So, I sized and deprimed them and then set up my RCBS primer pocket swaging tool and went to town. I had my priming tool loaded and standing by so hat I could try the cases as I went along to insure I had swaged the crimps out enough to allow seating a fresh primer. I couldn't get the new primers in without some effort, much more than I would need for commecial cases, even though I had the swaging die screwed down so far at one point that I couldn't complete the stroke! I backed off the die, after some experimentation, and ran about 400 cases through, then primed them while watching the Ravens trample the 49'ers (Go Ravens!).

I went back this morning to finish the job but curiosity drove me to try something different. I used my RCBS deburring tool and with 5 twists had removed the crimp and could seat a new primer with "normal" effort. Hmmmm....... the swaging tool was not completely removing the crimp! Anyone else ever experience this?
Last edited by centershot on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Swaging primer pockets.....

Post by sore shoulder »

Try the Dillon swager, way better than the RCBS.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No, but only because I don't own a swaging tool... but I suspected the same. I've just been using the deburring tool, and primers pop in as easily as if there'd never been a crimp. But, you do have a nice chamfer on the primer pocket.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I use an old reamer that I've had for probably 30 years. I "thought" it was RCBS, but it does a good job on military cases.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have one of those RCBS swagers; works well. It is waayyy too tedious. I use my deburring tool as well.
Last edited by damienph on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just use a pocket knife and run it around the inside of the pocket.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In my experience the RCBS primer pocket swager works much better with the large primer pockets. Like you, I had the same issue with small pockets in the .223. As I have 5 thousand or so commercial cases, I just put the military cases to the side and by the way, not all .223 military cases are crimped.

Forster makes a cutting tool that fits in their case trimmer that really works great. I will swage them first, then cut out the crimp with the Forster cutter. Its still lots of aggravation and even then, I still get some that are hard for the primers to go in and the new primer is left with marks on it. -------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have "deburred" and swaged about 2000 cases (or more) with each method. Swaging is far more preferable. That's my view. No, you're not going to get a perfect case first try every time with either method. I also prefer that there not be a chamfer on the primer pocket so that the primer is fully supported. Not that I've had problems with those "deburred" primer pockets just that I LIKE the swaged primer pockets better.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I use a cordles drill & a bit just a hair bigger than the pocket, then a light touch on the trigger
and presto the crimp is gone

ollogger
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Just last week I was attempting to deal with some military .223 brass for my nephew. My RCBS Primer Pocket Swager worked for most cases, but not all. Some did not want to accept a new primer, so I used a drill-mounted de-burring tool to slightly chamfer the pockets. A very few cases still refused to accept a new primer easily, acting as if the primer pocket itself was too small. Maybe I didn't get them swaged enough or chamfered enough, but I had wasted enough effort on them, and so these went into the scrap brass bucket.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I use a small primer pocket reamer made by Lyman. I don't have the swaging tool, so I can't speak as to how that works, but the reamer works fine for me.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Sigh...one more time. NOTHING works better or faster for removing the crimp from 5.56, especially in large volume.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

sore shoulder wrote:Sigh...one more time. NOTHING works better or faster for removing the crimp from 5.56, especially in large volume.

Well why didn't you say so? :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

To actually answer your question: Yes, I have experienced the same thing. I also did some with the de-burring tool, but was concerned about the potential to remove too much metal so I stopped. The RCBS tool is a bit tedious...but I've used it for over 35 yrs.. and don't see a reason to scrap it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I too use the Dillon swager and it works great. That said I have only used it on large primer pockets, mostly 45ACP. I don't own a 223 anymore but when i did i used the drill bit method with pretty good results.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Griff wrote:No, but only because I don't own a swaging tool... but I suspected the same. I've just been using the deburring tool, and primers pop in as easily as if there'd never been a crimp. But, you do have a nice chamfer on the primer pocket.
Me too! I can't offer an opinion on primer pocket swagers as I've never used one. But I have successfully and easily (and cheaply too :D ) by just using a sixty degree counter sink. It works so well I've never even considered any $$ dedicated "primer pocket reforming/reaming/swaging" tool...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

When the primers start backing out from true 5.56 pressure loads, you will understand why chamfering is bad, and why they had a crimp in the first place.
11B30