Primers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Primers

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I need to log on more often. I've apparently missed some good .22 Mag threads. I might have to get off my duff and take some pictures. Victor's 9422 Legacy always gets me. I need one of those.

Anyway, I was taking a glance around while I pondered listing some M855 up on Gunbroker and I've noticed that we're in a bit of a primer crunch ... again. I assume this is just a follow-on to the ammo crunch. I had thought the ammo crunch was limited to 5.56 NATO but apparently the bottom has fallen out of just about everything since Ms. Feinstein's recent submission.

If I get some spare time, I will dust off the Anvil program. Although, most people on this board ought to be stocked to the gills since the last go-round. I'm not sure anyone here needs it.

I'll have to add brands and vendors to the search since I last used it. It had Magtech in it but not Tula, Rio, etc. Apparently there are more brands being imported these days ... not that it has helped the situation much given the "Out of Stock" notices I'm seeing at most vendors.

The last time I was searching Grafs, MidSouth, Midway, Natchez, and Powder Valley. Any big new players I should add?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Primers

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks rimfire,
That was mighty handy.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D :D :D Thanks!!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sportsman's Warehouse.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

olyinaz wrote:Sportsman's Warehouse.

Oly
Wow, I just went there and noticed that a) they had none and b) they limit you to one box of 1000. I'm sure the limit only applies during this crunch. But that'll be tough to justify a $35 box of primers with shipping AND a $18 HazMat fee.

I'll add them to the list to scan.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
olyinaz wrote:Sportsman's Warehouse.

Oly
Wow, I just went there and noticed that a) they had none and b) they limit you to one box of 1000. I'm sure the limit only applies during this crunch. But that'll be tough to justify a $35 box of primers with shipping AND a $18 HazMat fee.

I'll add them to the list to scan.
Dang, that's too bad. Normally they don't have amazing prices but good availability. This is way past ridiculous!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I stopped by Sportsman's Warehouse in Redding, CA this morning to check for primers. Plenty of shotgun primers and shotgun powders, but absolutely NO rifle or pistol primers or powder. Hopefully I have enough on hand to last through the panic buying.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Notice the backorder warning.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

The only thing centerfire I've noticed being short here is SP and SR primers and anything .223. Powder, LR and LP primers all on the shelf at Sportsman's Warehouse in Iowa.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I'll look at adding Gamaliel.

One thing to note is that some of these retailers have poor systems and will show stock sometimes when they don't really have any. The biggest problem I had the last time was with MidSouth Shooters Supply.

Their system of receiving inventory would automatically post it to their web site ... even with pending backorders. The Anvil program would notify me and I would hit the site and order some up. Then I would get a call later that day telling me that they couldn't ship my order. They apparently have no way to receive and fulfill against backorders without showing stock. None of the other online retailers exhibited this problem the last time.

The last time I took the time to become certified to ship Hazmat and was sending primers via UPS. What a pain that is. You even have to have special UN labeled boxes and all of the right stickers, etc. That UPS WorldShip program was miserable.

I'll put some time to it this coming weekend and let you guys know when it's operating. I'll probably use the same registration mechanism as last time where your email it entered into it by me and that allows you to interact with it remotely.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

My local gun shop still has a good number and at a resonable price.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

MrMcnutty,
Just took alook at pat's reloading http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx looks like they are out of primers for now.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Sinclair international.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I got a dealer order in from Parks and Son today and of what I ordered I think we got 6,000 of the almost 36,000 primers we ordered .

We got NO 209 primers , also no CCI200's (that upset me off as I had 2,500 of those for myself) . No Federal Gold Medal Match SR or LR .

I had a MEC600JR 16 gauge for myself in the order and they didn't have that either !

Turned out of about $3,200 of stuff at dealer cost we only got about $1,350 of it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Got 1000 each of large rifle, small pistol, large pistol at Sportsman's Warehouse on the way home today. Caps, 209 primers, 2 cans of Unique, some ammo, and block of 525 Rem gold bullet .22 LR as well. The only things they still did not have any of was 9mm, .308, and .223 FMJ ammo.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Just about everything is gone, even here in the well stocked east coast. Its going to be that way for quite a while too. This is the dead of the winter when people have time and money on their hands so there's plenty of market for this stuff with people diligently looking for primers, powder, etc..

Might as well take a break and accept your doom McNutjob. Your most likely going to die. I'm sorry. It was nice knowing you though if that makes you feel any better. I bet in the next life you won't snooze from buying primers. :D

Ha! If you have a thou or two, let it alone until things get better. It always does! :D ------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I gotta get some primers. Go home yesterday after spending two solid nights driving all night long. Slept most of yesterday. Gonna get out 'n shop for primers and bullets, (.224s) tomorrow, then spend the afternoon working on the reloading bench. Might just replace the whole top with a one piece if I can locate a 20' countertop and get back to loading.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Midway changed their page format so I'm updating that. I'm also adding Sinclair, Sprortsmans Warehouse, and Gamaliel. Maybe by Monday I'll have it fully back up.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Midway changed their page format so I'm updating that. I'm also adding Sinclair, Sprortsmans Warehouse, and Gamaliel. Maybe by Monday I'll have it fully back up.
I wish I knew what you were talking about! :shock: :?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Word is that all primer production is going to loading ammunition, again, i.e. same as last time. Something like 1 BILLION rounds was on backorder and is likely more a week after I heard this.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I was able to pick up 5000 today. Local shops in Tucson (Murphy's Guns and 2nd Ammendment Sports). All sizes, all Winchester. Unique, Reloader 7, and 4198 also.

9mm and .223 ball available as well. Not much of it and strict limits though. .223 was $55 a box of 100.

The shelves are pretty bare but it IS coming in steadily. I suppose it could stop any time though...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

These are troubled times indeed, I feel for the bretheren who did not do due diligence.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

4 years ago when the communist in chieef took the white house I did not go berserk and buy every primer, bullet and pound of powder I could find.
This time I'm not either.

I'm not worried too much about it.

J :? e
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:4 years ago when the communist in chieef took the white house I did not go berserk and buy every primer, bullet and pound of powder I could find.
This time I'm not either.

I'm not worried too much about it.

J :? e
Well exactly! :lol: It's the "too much...." that gets me! :D

I'm sittin' just fine on everything except what I needed to get into reloading (I'm just now setting up a shop for the first time at my new place) and right as I decide to get serious about reloading all heck breaks loose and I can't find anything I need. Sheesh. :evil: Talk about "fusterating" (as my little boy used to say). So yes, I am buying everything that I need when I come across it, but not everything I see. I passed on 9mm and .223 ammo yesterday at a reasonable price because I just flat out don't need any given the thousands of rounds I have on hand.

I bought 20lbs of lead yesterday too and I'm pretty sure I was seen oggling a Lyman Big Dipper at one of the shops. Don't tell my wife! :wink: :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Friends don't tell friends wives..................anything.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Went shopping at sportsmans warehouse this morning. Looked at the reloading section and got a rather big shock to me. Outside of shotgun stuff they only had 2 off brand reloading presses in stock! And from what I saw brass was pretty much limited to obscure calibers.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Alan Wood wrote:Went shopping at sportsmans warehouse this morning. Looked at the reloading section and got a rather big shock to me. Outside of shotgun stuff they only had 2 off brand reloading presses in stock! And from what I saw brass was pretty much limited to obscure calibers.
Location?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

olyinaz wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Went shopping at sportsmans warehouse this morning. Looked at the reloading section and got a rather big shock to me. Outside of shotgun stuff they only had 2 off brand reloading presses in stock! And from what I saw brass was pretty much limited to obscure calibers.
Location?

Oly
This is at the Rocklin California (Sacramento suburb) store.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Alan Wood wrote:
olyinaz wrote:
Location?

Oly
This is at the Rocklin California (Sacramento suburb) store.
That's a pretty big metro. Perhaps it makes the shortage more acute? I dunno.
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

This fellow has some S R P, if you are desperate.
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/vi ... orum_id=47

---J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

It's taking me longer than I thought to bring this program back up to snuff. I've added search terms for shotshell primers and 50BMG primers. I've also added Fiocchi, Tula, Sellier & Bellot, and Cheddite primers to the search along with the CCI APS strips. I'm having to go back and fix the routines for Grafs, MidSouth, and Midway as they've changed their web page format for primers since 2009. Natchez was the same but I've done a little optimization in there as well.

This HTML parsing and node search stuff is tedious. It sucked up my whole weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

When finished, I expect it to be able to search for all LR, SR, LP, SP, 209, BMG primers, and APS strips from every maker domestic or imported today from Grafs, Midway, MidSouth, Natchez, Powder Valley, Sinclair (Brownells), Sportsman's Whse, Gamaliel, Precision Reloading, Wideners, and Ballistic Products (BPI).

I don't see primers at the Cabela's online store anymore. I also have found a couple of other online places that sell primers but they won't ship them ... they are for local pickup only which is fairly useless to most. BassPro lists primers but seems to sell them by the 100 count. I may add them later if there is a request for them.
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

It's true that we are again suffering from thoughtless Government talk, if not action. I still have what I need for now, but the thing that surprised me was when I went to the smaller non-Factory reloaders; Georgia Arms, Conley Precision, Milwaukee, etc. They are out of stock on many of the loads they offer and all are due to "Unavailability of Components." I really don't want to see these outlets shutdown because, while there products are often expensive, they are often the only resource for orphan calibers for non reloaders.

This is a windfall for the manufacturers of simi-auto guns, Bullets, Brass and Primers, less so for the Powder makers, but more so for those who make three or four and allocate them to the most popular calibers only. There are many calibers I shoot, but 9mm, .223 and .308 Russian are not among them.
JP_TX
444 Marlin