Guys please watch this------------it will blow your mind

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Guys please watch this------------it will blow your mind

Post by madman4570 »

Do a COMPLTETE cylinder compression test(positive verification in THREE MINUTES INCLUDING EXPLANING IT(DEMO)on cars engine(with a little Snap On Verus Scope and Low Amp Probe.(hooking to the battery cable) :shock: ???????????

Might save you thousands----men-----trouble shooting engine/tune ups/and when that mechanic says-----
Old (worn)/Crack in head/ Cracked cylinder/Burned, warped or cracked valve(s)/Burned or cracked piston/ Cylinder worn or out of round/ Blown or leaky head gasket/Sticky valve/Broken or worn valve spring(s)/Bent/worn pushrod(s)/Worn camshaft, or a broken lobe on the cam/Worn or bent rocker arm(s)/Collapsed lifter(s) when it needs a tune up????????

or Doing full blown tune-up and it needs one or more of above and not a tune up???????????

3 mins-------------------does it or doesn't it (and if so-----------where)----with positivity. :wink:

Absolutely unreal!

JMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKdZsWU2 ... 36DB838BB1
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Guys please watch this------------it will blow your mind

Post by Alan Wood »

I do wonder how expensive that scope or it's little brother are. But yeah pretty handy technique!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That set up is ok for a quick comparison of all the cylinders, but it's not a substitute for a compression test and cylinder leak down test. All it's doing is comparing one cylinder to another. A seasoned tech would be able to tell you the same thing that scope is just by listening to how it cranks when the fuel/spark is disabled. Snap on is good about coming out with a lot of "gadgets", and all of it is overpriced. That's not a tool the average shade tree mechanic is going to want to spend 7 grand on.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

TedH wrote:That set up is ok for a quick comparison of all the cylinders, but it's not a substitute for a compression test and cylinder leak down test. All it's doing is comparing one cylinder to another. A seasoned tech would be able to tell you the same thing that scope is just by listening to how it cranks when the fuel/spark is disabled. Snap on is good about coming out with a lot of "gadgets", and all of it is overpriced. That's not a tool the average shade tree mechanic is going to want to spend 7 grand on.
Ted---------- :lol:
No I know most people are not going to go out and spend $7K on an analyzer.
The point is (and that was just a quick one of many)types of evaluations that can now be done(quick)and provide the customer actual visible/written proof(here is your problem)on many things.

Tell you what-------Go get a 2011 Toyota Avalon and without (some type involved analyzer)lets see you(or any "decent" mechanic evaluate a "intermittent no start/computer malfunction/" problem :lol: Or a ECU(intermittent ABS problem) Or ESC issue!

Labor here(unless you go to Smokin Joe's Repair Shop)typically runs $100-$120 an hour.

Your Auto-Zone type places mostly have/or are going to be soon stop doing any scans(which the ones they have,now with the newer cars don't get close enough to really get you where you need to be anyway )from what I have seen over the last 3 years?????

Just thought(that was cool)ya I could hear a misfiire too------but,to see (here she be)----------cool

The Snap on stuff(some of their stuff is actually reasonable and high tech)let me just say--------When Marine One helicopters needed something torqued it was usually a Snap-on "doing the torqing" :wink:

see ya!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It's not anything new. Snap On has had gadgets for doing a quick "compression test" for 20 years or more. The first one I remember seeing had a little wheel that you held against a drive belt that detected variations in the speed of the belt. Yeah, kind of high tech, but not really necessary. I bet the fellow doing the video is a Snap On dealer too. :wink: Never meant that Snap On tools weren't quality. I've got about $50K worth of their product sitting here. When it's something that I only want to buy once, it's going to be a Snap On. Fortunantly, the high dollar diagnostic equiptment that is essential these days is bought by the dealership, and you better sign up to get in school a couple times a year to keep up on it too.
NRA Life Member
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

As Ted said nothing new. First shop scope I worked with that had that capibillity was 30 years ago. Fisrst handheld was about 20. So newer vehicles can do it themselves. And its true you do have to have the right equitment to diagnose computer controled vehicles, but you still have to have a mechanic that knows his stuff to get it right, all the gizmos just point you in the right direction.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yea, that "might" work. I wonder if valve timing could effect the results. I'll stick with a compression gauge in a spark plug hole. Besides, I've already got the guages.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad