Nicked my kisser with my slasher..........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Nicked my kisser with my slasher..........

Post by Borregos »

..............whilst shaving this morning.

Was having a bit of a clear out during the snow storm and came across these and wondered if anybody still uses them (apart from Glasgow villains of course!!)
The two in the top right hand case were my grandfathers and the other cased two were my fathers, my grandfather never used anything else.
I quit using a straight razor many years ago, never really got the hang of stropping despite lessons from my Dad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
cfplinker
Levergunner

Re: Nicked my kisser with my slasher..........

Post by cfplinker »

I've got two straights that were purchased several years ago. It took me a little while to learn how to use them and care for them. Now I use one or the other almost every day. It takes more time than using either an electric or a disposable razor but the straight makes for a much more enjoyable shave.

I am glad to see that there are others, such as yourself, on the forum that appreciate the traditional methods of shaving.
Shoot safely, shoot well, and shoot often.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't particularily care for using a straight myself... but in the hands of a good barber, no shave is better. No haircut is complete until it's been trimmed with a straight!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Haircut and shave :shock: what that? :lol:
Nice razors though bro 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've never plucked up enough courage to use a cut throat razor... :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have several from the 20s and 30s that were in a box of stuff that my Uncle had....No, I don't think so :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

Griff wrote: No haircut is complete until it's been trimmed with a straight!
When in the Army all of my haircuts were capped w/ a straight razor trim around the ears
and down the nape. Nothing feels like cold steel down the back of your neck!

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thread Drift Warning

At Ft Leavenworth Displinary Barracks (where military go for sentences greater than a year) They had a barber shop that the inmates ran. Twenty-Five cent haircuts. So, I went for my first haircut there, and there was this HUGE Brother that cut mine. As he was shaving my neck with the razor, he said that he was in for cutting some honkey's neck with a straight razor...everyone but me laughted :lol: The New Meat always got that treatment....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

spaceman spiff wrote:
Griff wrote: No haircut is complete until it's been trimmed with a straight!
When in the Army all of my haircuts were capped w/ a straight razor trim around the ears
and down the nape. Nothing feels like cold steel down the back of your neck!

spaceman
Thats how I get mine cut every week. As to shaving I am too lazy and use a Norelco.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I use cut throats to shave. If yours ever need a home.....
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Washita
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Washita »

I'm in my 70's, I've and the only place I've ever seen a straight razor used is in a TV commercial, where they wanted to show what a rock-ribbed conservative "Dad" is. He also only owned white shirts and wing-tip shoes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

game keeper wrote:I've never plucked up enough courage to use a cut throat razor... :oops:
Thats the way I feel. To have one in my hand would make me think of weird movies and other pyschos in society. Besides, its so easy and fast with a Mach 5 :D ---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

If it makes you feel any better, I fell off my bike yesterday. We both came out of it ok enough.
aragornelessar86
Levergunner

Post by aragornelessar86 »

When I shave I use a straight. I buy old ones cheap on ebay and restore 'em.
Puma 92, 24.5in. BBl. length, SS, .357 Mag
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Have a couple of those things, but never use them (can't trust myself not to cut my own throat!) :shock: :oops: I used to enjoy shaving with my dad's old safety razor, (the kind that has a screw handle to open it, and used the thin double edged blades) until the blades got so doggoned hard to find. I still prefer to use a shaving mug and brush to lather up though! :D
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I am scared of my inability to not cut my face with a strait. Do enjoy a safety razer though.

Slimster go on line and search for safety razor blades. Got a hundred of'em a few months ago for $7.00 and along with some other stuff I bought, the shipping was free.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Atlanta Barber Supply is a great place to find all different kinds of shaving equipment.My dad and I use the old style safety razors that uses the double edged blades and lather up with a brush and shaving mug. My shaving mug is one that my dad had when he was my age so it has sentimental value as well. Haven't used a disposable razor in probably three years. My dad has no desire to, but I would like to buy a nice straight razor (maybe an old one with some history behind it) and all the accouterments and learn to shave with it. I look it as another one of those old time skills that is slowly dying. One thing I do have that I have yet to use is an old WWII era Rolls Royce Razor that comes in a case with a sharpening stone and strop built into the case. Found it and a spare blade in a antique shop here in Plant City about 3 years ago for about 50 bucks. Neat piece of history.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

RustyJr wrote:Atlanta Barber Supply is a great place to find all different kinds of shaving equipment.My dad and I use the old style safety razors that uses the double edged blades and lather up with a brush and shaving mug. My shaving mug is one that my dad had when he was my age so it has sentimental value as well. Haven't used a disposable razor in probably three years. My dad has no desire to, but I would like to buy a nice straight razor (maybe an old one with some history behind it) and all the accouterments and learn to shave with it. I look it as another one of those old time skills that is slowly dying. One thing I do have that I have yet to use is an old WWII era Rolls Royce Razor that comes in a case with a sharpening stone and strop built into the case. Found it and a spare blade in a antique shop here in Plant City about 3 years ago for about 50 bucks. Neat piece of history.

RustyJr
IMO, the best place to get a blade and strop is one of the forums; http://straightrazorplace.com, http://badgerandblade.com or eBay. A round nosed blade is easier to learn on. Old German steel was hard to beat. A new strop must be broken-in before it will strop well. You can look at the leather of strops on eBay and tell whether it is supple and not nicked.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer