Winter project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Winter project

Post by OldWin »

I've had some extra time this winter so I dug into the project pile with the idea of actually finishing something. Several years ago I bought an 8/43 mfd Smith Corona 1903A3. Some dufus drilled and tapped it and cut the barrel just behind the front sight. It wore a synthetic stock and a 3.5-10x50 BSA.
I saw a candidate for a general purpose/scout rifle. I wanted a dependable, multi-sighted, clip-loaded rifle that could be easily be maintained in the field.
I wanted pedestal type bases mounted on the barrel to mount an aimpoint or a scout scope. I layed out where i wanted the bases then measured the barrel diameter and taper. Then I printed off a list of every Weaver base made and found the closest I could to what I needed. Then I final fit them a little at a time till they came in by checking level and mounting a scope set to mechanical zero and using a laser bore sighter.
rps20130211_095854.jpg
Once everything was lined up I borrowed my buddy's drill jig and drilled and tapped the base holes.a Then I mocked up where the barrel was to be cut( 19 1/2"). I mounted an Aimpoint R1 and laser bore sighted it. I had earlier found an original 03A3 rear sight and now had to find a propper height front sight. I ended up with a Williams sight base I found at my buddy's shop. Using the laser and a lower 1/4 co-witness with the aimpoint, I lined up and marked the location of the front sight.
rps20130211_102108.jpg
Then it was time to cut the barrel. I sawed it off and then put the barrel through the headstock of the lathe leaving
the action out the back. Then cut a new crown(sorry no pic). At this point I debated threading the muzzle to 5/8-24 and using an AR-10 flash hider. I decided not to thinking it just would'nt look "right".
Then back to the drill jig and drilled and tapped holes for the front sight. After mounting I did a final bore sight on all the sights. The rifle came with a polished and turned-down bolt with a low safety. I got a military contour bolt and safety and headspaced it to the rifle so I have two complete bolts that are interchangeable.
I hope it shoots! I can't get into the range cause there is too much snow.
rps20130211_110143.jpg
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winter project

Post by Griff »

Nice job. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Col. Cooper would be very proud :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

BlaineG wrote:Col. Cooper would be very proud :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Haha! Not if he lifted it! It surely doesn't "make weight". Then again, I've never been too hung up on the super-lightweight rifle thing anyhow.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

That's cool!! I love 03s; a Scout rifle in the "right" chambering!
Glad that you didn't put a flash hider on it. It looks perfect, just the way that it is.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

damienph wrote:That's cool!! I love 03s; a Scout rifle in the "right" chambering!
Glad that you didn't put a flash hider on it. It looks perfect, just the way that it is.
Thank you very much. Sorry for the crappy pics (I surely ain't Kirk!).
I like the new Ruger GSR but I think they went a little short with the barrel. I also think I prefer stripper clips to a detatchable magazine on a bolt rifle. As with the flash hider, I sweated on what to use for a front sight also. I considered an M-14 style winged option but I know they can get plugged with snow/debris. With the ramp I can adjust it with different height and styles of bead. Williams also makes an open top hood for this sight.
Hoping to shoot it this week but I will certainly be on snowshoes to hang targets.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Very nice, OldWin! Good shooting this week. I look forward to your range report.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

mod71alaska wrote:Very nice, OldWin! Good shooting this week. I look forward to your range report.
Thank you! I checked out a place this afternoon without getting stuck. Came home and got my portable bench and target stand ready. I'm going to give it a try in the morning if all goes well and i will post the results.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sweet!

I grew up in a house full of '03&'03A3 sporters. Really like what you did with yours!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Looks alot like my Mauser M96 in 6.5x55MM.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

2ndovc wrote:Sweet!

I grew up in a house full of '03&'03A3 sporters. Really like what you did with yours!

jb 8)
Yeah I really like 03's. I was glad to have found this one that I could play with without hurting.
Mescalero wrote:Looks alot like my Mauser M96 in 6.5x55MM.
Thank you. I take that as a compliment as the 96 in 6.5x55 is one of my favorite Mausers of all time.
I just got back from shooting my 03 so I will post up the results.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It was already bubbad when I got it , so I turned into a scout.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm happy with the results overall. Seeing as i was shooting from a rickety bench in the back of the truck. And the fact that including the purchase price of the rifle, I've got about 400 bucks in the whole thing. I had the scope and Aimpoint already.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Like it!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Great idea and nice work! :D

Nice lookin' leverguns in the background. Being in your gunroom is better than any other place on Earth. :D -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mescalero wrote:It was already bubbad when I got it , so I turned into a scout.
I'd love to see pics of your 96 Mauser Mescalero!
Sixgun wrote:Great idea and nice work! :D

Nice lookin' leverguns in the background. Being in your gunroom is better than any other place on Earth. :D -------------Sixgun
Thanks Sixgun! Yeah I love my gunroom and spend as much time there as I can.