I think I just crossed the line into gun crankdom...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

I think I just crossed the line into gun crankdom...

Post by awp101 »

I've been pondering different scenarios for an Martini Cadet receiver and barrel I have. The barrel is still the original .310 but is rough externally. I've been thinking about having it turned into a .22 Hornet since one of my "dream rifles" is a .22H Cadet. Last night I took a good look at the bore and surprise of surprises, it's not bad! And I found remaining 20 rounds of .310 and 20 once fired empties from an order of 40 rounds I'd gotten Buffalo Arms several years ago and forgot about (and I'm keeping it! :P ). Well, now my thoughts are turning to "keep it in .310 and when that ammo is gone have it set up for .32-20 or .32 H&R so I can shoot both".

Also I'm narrowing down the list of barrels available for the Handi-Rifle to the 2 I'll shoot most before ordering them and having them installed.

A few minutes ago I went out to bring Hank in for bed (he fights bedtime like a 3 year old :roll: ) and while waiting for him to give up and come to me I had a thought: wouldn't it be cool to get a Handi barrel set up for .310?

That's right. I thought seriously for about 10 seconds on the feasibility of having a single shot .310 rifle rechambered to something else and having a "custom" .310 barrel built for a different single shot.

Is this bad? This is bad, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I've been burning the candle at both ends for too long... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I think I just crossed the line into gun crankdom...

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No its not bad. But reality is, it would be Cheaper in a Contender, unless you can "stub" yer own handi barrels. Tho relining a 410 or 20 gauge barrel might not be bad price wise. I think instaed of 22H i'd go with 221. Or 25/20.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The original barrel can go anywhere up to about .323" , so a rechamber might not shoot for beans. (like many if not most of them.

My bore is .318"

I was going to say "Why not load for it? " But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to load it for the handi rifle if that makes sense? It's worth all the extra work to shoot the original gun in the original caliber. Pointless IMO for something else.

Slow is just slow.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

It's bad but I'm sure we can help!

Next Cadet action I find is going to be .327 Federal, that way I can shoot .32 short, long and H&R mag too.

I've had a bunch, the best one I had was a .218 Bee that I should have never parted with.

My latest project is this .25-20. I have thousands of cast .257s and kind of made up my mind for me.
Otherwise I would have been up all night for who knows how long deciding on a caliber. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - miniature Martini's rule..............

I stumbled across this BSA Model 12 takedown .22LR, early last Fall, and am still trying to decide what I want to do with it, if anything.

For one thing, it's got the sweetest trigger pull I've experienced in a looooooog time, and ejects empties very smartly.

I know for sure that I'm gonna replace the huge forend with a more svelte one, most likely with either a schnobble tip or with an ebony wedge in the tip.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now I don't feel so bad for all the time I spent thinking about making a .32-20 in the '.30-20' version (.308" bore) on an Encore frame, 16", and threaded for a suppressor...

I settled for a .300 AAC Blackout barrel instead...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

2ndovc,
Tell me about that cast .25 bullet.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Just got home..

I have two .257 bullet moulds that were my Grandfather's. One 70 Gr RNGC and one 100 Grn. RNGC both are Cramer moulds( I bet they go back to the 50's), but have no idea how old they are. Along with the moulds I inherited a couple thousand unsized, lubed, or gas checked bullets. My Grandfather was a big fan of the .257s, he had pre 64 model 70s in .257 Roberts ( stolen from my uncle's home) a .250-3000 that my Dad has and a custom Arisaka in.257 Roberts that I have.

The 70 Grn. bullet shoots really well from my Martini. The 100 opens up the little groups by an inch or so.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mmmmmm, nice rifles guys! :mrgreen:

3leggedturtle, I've had 2-3 Contenders/Encores over the years (pistol and carbine) and try as I might I just can't warm up to them. I can't deny their handiness or utility (especially when you want to try a new caliber "on the cheap") but they just don't do it for me.
cas wrote: I was going to say "Why not load for it? " But on the other hand, I wouldn't want to load it for the handi rifle if that makes sense? It's worth all the extra work to shoot the original gun in the original caliber. Pointless IMO for something else.
Yep, the absurdity of my train of thought hit me after about 10 seconds and I got to laughing at myself. I figured if anyone would appreciate the humor, it would be this bunch! :lol:
Pete44ru wrote: I stumbled across this BSA Model 12 takedown .22LR, early last Fall, and am still trying to decide what I want to do with it, if anything.
I can always send you the address of my tame FFL! Just a thought... :twisted: :lol:

Yes, I find these little Martinis to be about as handy as a pocket on a shirt. Even in as-issued form they are light and easy to carry in a fun to shoot (to me) caliber. They just require a little extra work for the latter or to change to another reasonable caliber.

On another note, the whole project has hit a minor snag. I ordered a Cadet breech block from Numrich last week and received it today. What they sent is for some kind of intermediate size action NOT a Cadet. Looks like I'll be giving them a call tomorrow to return it as it is not what was advertised and is as useful to me as a screen door on a submarine.

Hey buddy, can anyone spare a Cadet breech block? :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at