Lots of Levers at Cabelas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Lots of Levers at Cabelas

Post by Dastook »

Driving through Texas today, I live in NC and am here on business. Stopped at Cabelas Dal/FW. Must have had a dozen Win. 94's, dozen 1886's, dozen 73's, six 71's, eight 92's. These were all old rifles. They had a few old Marlins too but not as many as Wins. They have a 1886 33WCF Takedown that was in really good shape and a $4000.00. :shock: :shock: price tag. It was fun to ogle over them though.
Last edited by Dastook on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I just returned a model 94 Winchester to a Cabela's store. Got full refund including shipping.

They misrepresented it. More wrong with it once I got it in hand than they said.

My next 94 will be seen before bought.

Cabela's prices are high.

Don McCullough
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I agree, Cabelas prices are high. 10 years ago they were pretty decent. I stop in when travelling by, but rarely buy anything unless it's seasonal clothes and on sale. You can find about any shooting related stuff for less than they sell for.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Cabela's is usually high, I agree. The thing I like about it, though, is they have bunches of stuff that you can look at and touch. After you look at stuff, you can go somewhere else and buy it for less.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

All their "gun library" stuff is negotiable. Make 'em an offer! My other motto is, "hey, if you don't ask, they can't say, 'YES'!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was in the Connecticut Cabela's Gun Library, last Sunday, and overheard two employees in the back office discussing "offers".

The office door was open, and I don't know if one was the manager or they were both clerks.

They were re-inforcing, to each other, the idea to not accept any offers lower than their tagged prices, because all their Gun Library firearms were on the internet, and since the sites showed they were being "hit" every few seconds, 24 hours a day - that they had a wide range of customers interested in the guns, and so could easily get the full price.

Outside the Gun Library room, on the sales floor - there were a few racks of less than pristine and other non-collector firearms for sale, near the racks of new rifles, etc.
None of them were what I would say was fairly priced - all running from $100 to several hundred dollars higher than the general market.

What they did have, was a huge bunch of items, reloading tools especially, at very near internet pricing - but no shipping fees or waiting involved !

Like anything else, if a buyer knows their prices, they can pick/choose, and get a little ahead.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, I just bought a nice rifle from them, HIB, and it was $300 under book. I got not complaints! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I agree, Cabelas in Fort worth was easier to deal with a few years back. I bought several guns when they first opened from Curt Junker. Those guns have already gone up in value by quite a bit. Two 1st Generation Colt SAAs and two Winchesters, a 1873 and a 53. Lately Curt doesn't deal as much. He says It is just to hard to get the old ones and the Internet is working for them. Trading is not good unless you have a rare one and who wants to trade them. Cash offers seems to do the deal if they have some room. I have no complaints except for what they offer for trade-ins but that is the case with most dealers. I don't like being on the customer side in the trade, they always want a double profit just like I hope for when I set up. :? The quality of their guns is hard to find at other Gun dealers shops.
"That'll Be The Day"
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Both cabelas and bass pro gun rooms are way over priced....
they can keep'em..
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Then again, I got my 2001 Davidson's Win 1886 TD (1 of 500) for Trade... but it had a Hang Tag of only $850. (oh, and as far as I can tell if the gun had been fired, as the Librairian said it had, it sure had never been loaded through the gate, 'cause there was NO brassing of the matte blue on it until I loaded it... )

It all depends on who sold it and the decency of the Library Supervisor.

The guy in Hammond Cabelas won't "up-price" a gun he bought/traded beyond the Corporate 25%.

As for Shipping: IIRC If you order somthing from a gunlibrary you can get it shipped to a local Cabelas Retail at Zero cost.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

As I have mentioned before we tend to think a mark up of 10-20% on anything to be excessive. 50 years ago 25% was the profit on many new firearms, used guns generally had a 75-100% profit margin where I worked. Guns are not like bread or milk in a store with a daily turnover. To stay in any business you have to include holding time as part of your markup. A dealer has to have these profits to stay in business. Now days the internet sales of guns is hurting the storefront gunshop/dealer. We may see fewer and fewer of these businesses as time goes on. We have been spoiled by internet dealers selling guns with small profits because they have no real inventory or overhead. I agree that some places seem to have excessively high prices, but you better believe they are not making a living on those guns. Other departments in that business are carrying that one in the store. If that's the way they want to sell, then we just need to go elsewhere.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have only been to Cabela's one time, in Kansas City. They had a bunch of fine side by sides, and being a sucker for fine doubles, I ended up buying a J.P. Sauer side by side for around 1400.00 if I remember right. They shipped it to my dealer in my state and that way, I avoided sales tax. I think they originally wanted over 1600 for it, but I talked them down a couple of hundred.

Knowing how much fine ejector doubles usually cost, I don't think I got a bad deal, but not a bargain either. At anyrate really nice side by sides don't show up on my local dealer's shelves very often, and I had been wanting a fine double trigger ejector gun for a while.
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Big boys toy stores and Ebay are mostly priced

Post by afish4570 »

I like the little gun shops and gun shows run by the little guys. More personal and better prices for normal hunting type guns....shooteers.Just my experience.afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll:
afish4570
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Big boys toy stores and Ebay are mostly priced

Post by Old Ironsights »

afish4570 wrote:I like the little gun shops and gun shows run by the little guys. More personal and better prices for normal hunting type guns....shooteers.Just my experience.afish4570 :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have 2 decent "small" gunshops within 50 miles that aren't a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Big 5 or Gander.

One deals almost exclusively in EBRs and has grossly overpriced Levers.

The other has good prices, but low stock. I was considering buying a SS Guide Gun from him before I saw the '86 TD.

THere is a "third" shop, within walking distance of my condo, that has lots of levers... but the owner is a jerk who won't answer legitimate questions unless you are part of his SASS "in" circle - so I don't shop there for anything but bulk powder.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Prices at Cabela's are just silly.
They had a 4" GP100 in there about 6 weeks ago I was actually thinking about for the wife. $539.00 I think it was. Bit high maybe, but not terrible.
Stopped in last week for some reloading stuff, and noticed it was gone.
They did have a used one tho. $649.00!!
Thats like $10.00 less than MSRP.
Had to laugh at the counter guy that was trying to say they weren't over priced.

Old Ironsights wrote: I have 2 decent "small" gunshops within 50 miles that aren't a Cabelas, Bass Pro, Big 5 or Gander.

One deals almost exclusively in EBRs and has grossly overpriced Levers.

The other has good prices, but low stock. I was considering buying a SS Guide Gun from him before I saw the '86 TD.

THere is a "third" shop, within walking distance of my condo, that has lots of levers... but the owner is a jerk who won't answer legitimate questions unless you are part of his SASS "in" circle - so I don't shop there for anything but bulk powder.
OI, I know what shop you're talking about. I'm glad to hear you say that. I was afraid it was just me :)
Did buy one of my Vaquero's there, but he's such a pain to deal with, I just use him for reloading stuff since then.

What are the other two you're talking about?
fgarnold
Levergunner

Post by fgarnold »

We don't have any Cabela's less than 3 hours away, but we do have a BPS and Gander in the area. Just for comparison, one year ago, GMT was selling Marlin 1895G for 449.00, now 599.99. The Marlin 336A in 30-30, last year 325.00, this year 489.99. Did Marlin starting using gold parts in their rifles or what? BPS don't seem to carry a lot of levers, but their prices are pretty high on firearms.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:All their "gun library" stuff is negotiable. Make 'em an offer! My other motto is, "hey, if you don't ask, they can't say, 'YES'!"
+1! :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mac45 wrote:...OI, I know what shop you're talking about. I'm glad to hear you say that. I was afraid it was just me :)
Did buy one of my Vaquero's there, but he's such a pain to deal with, I just use him for reloading stuff since then.
Yeah, he's certainly a "character". Maybe Jerk is too strong though. "Opinionated, Crotchy, Old fanny burp" would be a better term. Of course that also describes a lot of guys here too... :wink:
What are the other two you're talking about?
LaPorte Sporting Goods is my favorite from a Customer Service POV.

Blythes in Valpo is good, but seems really EBR/Handgun-Centric.

IIRC Fetla's has left Valpo, but their stock was pretty variable.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Yeah, he's certainly a "character". Maybe Jerk is too strong though. "Opinionated, Crotchy, Old fanny burp" would be a better term. Of course that also describes a lot of guys here too... Wink
Oh I dunno, I think "Jerk" is pretty close to the mark :)

LaPorte is kind of a drive for me, but have been there once.
Have to agree they seem like good guys, wish they were closer.

Haven't been to Blythe's in Valpo in a while. I'm a lot closer to the one in Griffith. Got my Puma from them last fall in fact. I think both are a little on the high side, but I've always been treated well at both.

Ever made it out to Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka?
Another one I've only been there once, but they had a whole wall of levers.
Have to get out there again when I actually have some cash :)
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

I’ve bought several rifles and handguns at Cabela’s over the years and have made some very good buys in doing so. I find their new gun prices are usually competitive and I never pay asking price on their used guns. Can’t come out trading with them though....

Dennis.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I'm glad there are no really big sporting goods stores like Cabelas, Gander Mt., or Dick's pretty close to where I live the closest two are about 2 hours away and Cabela's in Wheeling is like 5 hours away. These chain stores are way over priced. I do have some places around here that can be dealt with. The best places I know of are around where I used to live around 2 hours from here. One "Mountaineer Guns" is in White Sulphur Springs WV and the other 2 are in or around Covington Va. "Allaghaney Sportsman Supply" and "Mountain Top Guns and Ammo" with the later being my favorite.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Cabelas

Post by draperjojo »

I've been to the Cabelas south of Salt Lake City about a half dozen times. I went there several times to buy rifles but ended up leaving and driving to Sportsman's warehouse to make the purchase instead. Cabelas prices aren't that good, and its normal to have 10 people at the guncounter waiting for a salesperson, and have one person actually at working the counter, while 20' away at the binocular hut (thats only 10' square) there are 3 employees standing around doing nothing. Thats when the guy at the gun counter yells, "now serving number 77" and you realize you should have picked a number. Who wants to buy rifles from the DMV??????