Daylight Savings starts this Sunday!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Daylight Savings starts this Sunday!!!

Post by markinalpine »

I happened to notice this on one calender, and double checked another.
Yikes! :shock:
Daylight Savings starts this Sunday, 10 March 2013.
Who else thinks this is just too darned early?
Mark :?
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Daylight Savings starts this Sunday!!!

Post by JerryB »

What is the object of starting so soon?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I wish we could stay on DST all year..... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Heaven help me, please allow me to vent for a few.

We all know that Mr. B. Franklin had original idea on daylight savings time, or more accurately for his time, candle savings time.

Skip forward to now.

More 'n several years ago, (2007) some bright light (sarcasm fully intended!) decided if the original D.S.T. was a good idea, then extending it several weeks longer earlier and later was an even better idea.

Highest tech thing Ben had to deal with was a wagon wheel. Or a flintlock fire control group. None of these care a whit what time it is.

Today is much different - we have millions of devices that depend on or display the time. Many of these needed to be programmed to auto-reset on the *new* times. Tens of thousands of lines of code got changed, firmwares were reflashed, software patches written and released.

A lot of people got rich over the change. But studies made since have shown no real energy savings by starting two weeks earlier and ending two weeks later. Add in the cost of all the changes and it was a huge boondoggle.

And stuck in there is me. I support my company's phone and voice systems nationwide, a hundred plus locations. Many system will have to manually changed on site. Multiple system, I will have to go in Monday (I'm *not* remoting in on Sunday on my own time) and correct the times. And then two weeks from now, when the old D.S.T. changed, I will have to reset them again because these are old systems and can not be patched.

So as you can tell...first, I am not a big fan of the new daylight savings time. And second, I'm not even a fan of the concept in general. As far as I'm concerned let's be like Arizona. They said, 'screw it, we're leaving our clocks alone.'
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I wish we'd just quit messing with the clocks and stay on standard time. DST may have had a valid reason to exist once, but today it's unneeded.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:Heaven help me, please allow me to vent for a few.

We all know that Mr. B. Franklin had original idea on daylight savings time, or more accurately for his time, candle savings time.

Skip forward to now.

More 'n several years ago, (2007) some bright light (sarcasm fully intended!) decided if the original D.S.T. was a good idea, then extending it several weeks longer earlier and later was an even better idea.

Highest tech thing Ben had to deal with was a wagon wheel. Or a flintlock fire control group. None of these care a whit what time it is.

Today is much different - we have millions of devices that depend on or display the time. Many of these needed to be programmed to auto-reset on the *new* times. Tens of thousands of lines of code got changed, firmwares were reflashed, software patches written and released.

A lot of people got rich over the change. But studies made since have shown no real energy savings by starting two weeks earlier and ending two weeks later. Add in the cost of all the changes and it was a huge boondoggle.

And stuck in there is me. I support my company's phone and voice systems nationwide, a hundred plus locations. Many system will have to manually changed on site. Multiple system, I will have to go in Monday (I'm *not* remoting in on Sunday on my own time) and correct the times. And then two weeks from now, when the old D.S.T. changed, I will have to reset them again because these are old systems and can not be patched.

So as you can tell...first, I am not a big fan of the new daylight savings time. And second, I'm not even a fan of the concept in general. As far as I'm concerned let's be like Arizona. They said, 'screw it, we're leaving our clocks alone.'
:P That's why they call it "work" :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I hate the change. My internal clock was just getting used to the regular time. It just kills me in the spring, and then when the added daylight would actually be useful for feeding, my cattle, etc in the wintertime, we change it back. Some people have suggested we only move it up 30 minutes and leave it there, forever. I agree. I would gladly give up the 30 minutes of an evening in the summer, for 30 minutes extra in the winter.

I remember when we started doing this stuff when I was a kid and I have hated it ever since. However, it's not about saving energy, in fact it cost energy. What it does is stimulate the economy. People have more leisure time in the spring, summer and fall, for after work stuff like hobbies, so they buy the boat, play softball, golf, etc. A lot of money gets spent and raked in by big business, because we have a little more daylight to burn after work. The person who figured that out was a genius. And more energy not less gets used because we get out more, drive more, etc after work.
NRA Life Member, Patron
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

When I moved from the central time zone to Indiana I really appreciated that we didn't participate in DST but that changed a couple years ago. I do like the additional daylight in the evening hours after I get home from work but I still feel it's not natural and it's not necessary, so why should it be dictated to us? It's great if you play golf though, like most politicians. :roll:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Given the way lighting is managed today they should stick with standard time. Don't like the light, adjust your work schedule just as many who must use daylight do.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:I wish we'd just quit messing with the clocks and stay on standard time. DST may have had a valid reason to exist once, but today it's unneeded.
The correct time should be based on when the sun is directly overhead (make that 'noon'), and if a business or school wants to have special 'summer hours' or 'winter hours' that is fine, but pretending to 'alter TIME' is just plain stupid.

Besides, I'm too lazy to change all the clocks... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

jeepnik wrote:I wish we'd just quit messing with the clocks and stay on standard time. DST may have had a valid reason to exist once, but today it's unneeded.
+1000!E1000
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I see it this way; Out where I live, we get up with the sun, eat lunch sometime around "high noon", and go to bed around dark or so.. Don't even need to wear a watch! (Well, that's the way it used to be on the farm!) I don't care for DST either!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

That's why they call it "work"

You're right, but what a waste of my time and thousands of other technicians across the U.S.A. (well, except maybe for Arizona!) who have to maintain old systems.

Energy savings are hard to quantify, but I'm starting to be one of the crowd with no use for the changes. And the changes upon the changes. It's a heckuva different world than it was even twenty years ago.

My previous job was an airline, it was a shipping logistics company. Had a hundred some locations across the U.S. and also several international. Yet we were always having issues with getting some things done on time due to the different time zones. I wanted to see all departments go to "Zulu" time and then let the local people make the conversion. That never worked out.

My current company also has systems in over a hundred locations across the U.S. HQ and where I am, is eastern. It's always a stretch in dealing with our CA locations as we have to wait until ten to eleven in the morning for the main office staff to show up out there.

Bad enough to deal with four time zones, then take on four time changes (old and new DST rules) every year and you can see my crankiness.

So daylight savings time? Meh. I can do without.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:? I'm not a computer programmer, but, I built and maintained an ACCESS Data Base. I could "change" any fact or entry on every item with a one minute set up, and a click of the mouse. If I knew what I was doing, I could have written a small program that would have done all that for me at any given time or date. Seriously, educate me why this is not a simple process for all concerned?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

COSteve wrote:Another issue with it staying in effect later in the year is that the kids end up walking to school in dark for a few weeks until it ends.
Kids WALK to school? You're serious, really? That's hilarious. Oh, I get it now. Good one Steve, ...you're quite the comedian.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

BlaineG wrote:I wish we could stay on DST all year..... :idea:
+1 :x
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

+2 :x :x :x :x
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I'm not a computer programmer, but, I built and maintained an ACCESS Data Base. I could "change" any fact or entry on every item with a one minute set up, and a click of the mouse. If I knew what I was doing, I could have written a small program that would have done all that for me at any given time or date. Seriously, educate me why this is not a simple process for all concerned?

It's as simple as you say, and harder than you think.

Example. Older Avaya phone systems, Definity G350, G700 and a small herd S8100's. These guys have the DST rules embedded in the operating system. All well and good, but they are the *old* DST rules, not the extended DST system we're using now.

For these systems, they went end of life for Avaya in the mid to late 2000's, and no more software support thereafter. So being able to upgrade my systems ain't happenin'. And Avaya wants everyone off these old systems anyway so there's no incentive anyway for support. Obviously they want you to buy new. (by the way, that's why we're installing Cisco phones now)

It's the older industrial systems with the time rules built into the firmware that these issues really affect.

We could tell the users just to ignore the time display on their phones but we have schedules that run to control call flow. So twice in the spring and twice in the fall I'd have customer calls going to the wrong places for an hour at a time every year if we didn't reset them. (the management types get all tore up over stuff like that)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

wecsoger wrote:I'm not a computer programmer, but, I built and maintained an ACCESS Data Base. I could "change" any fact or entry on every item with a one minute set up, and a click of the mouse. If I knew what I was doing, I could have written a small program that would have done all that for me at any given time or date. Seriously, educate me why this is not a simple process for all concerned?

It's as simple as you say, and harder than you think.

Example. Older Avaya phone systems, Definity G350, G700 and a small herd S8100's. These guys have the DST rules embedded in the operating system. All well and good, but they are the *old* DST rules, not the extended DST system we're using now.

For these systems, they went end of life for Avaya in the mid to late 2000's, and no more software support thereafter. So being able to upgrade my systems ain't happenin'. And Avaya wants everyone off these old systems anyway so there's no incentive anyway for support. Obviously they want you to buy new. (by the way, that's why we're installing Cisco phones now)

It's the older industrial systems with the time rules built into the firmware that these issues really affect.

We could tell the users just to ignore the time display on their phones but we have schedules that run to control call flow. So twice in the spring and twice in the fall I'd have customer calls going to the wrong places for an hour at a time every year if we didn't reset them. (the management types get all tore up over stuff like that)
Gotcha 8)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
tom deinek
Levergunner

Post by tom deinek »

Not all AZ remains on standard time.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

When I was a kid, my parents milked cows and sold to Kraft Foods. But they also had jobs. So, my dad always milked cows of morning before he drove the school bus. And I can tell the cows didn't like the time change either. I wonder if that didn't play into why we switched to beef cattle a couple of years later. We worked a whole lot harder and longer back then to make a living.
NRA Life Member, Patron