OT Bunny Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

OT Bunny Hunting

Post by JReed »

I listed this as OT because we didnt use a levergun.

Took my oldest boy Logan( 8 years old) out for some early morning rabbit hunting on Sunday morning. It was a beautiful morning it had rained off and on all day Saturday and in to the night which left that bright clear morning sky that you love to wake up to. We started by getting up at 4am and heading over to the base game warden (Camp Pendleton) to check in for small game hunting. The warden briefed all the hunters that there are a few areas that are 4X4 only due to the rain so I inform him that I have the family car and need some where that I wont bury the wifes nissan. Oh I have the perfect spot he says so after driving to the far reaches of the base followed buy 5 miles of muddy dirt road we get to our apointed area just in time for first light. We get out of the car put on the hunters orange and unpack the Rossi SxS 20ga hammer gun (not a lever but the next best thing :wink: ) load her up with 2 3/4" 1oz #4's and we are set.

Now not many people know this but Camp Pendleton has a good # of buffalo that wander the base. Well as we are walking around looking for bunnies we see lots of fresh buffalo tracks and chips not the thing you want to see when strolling around with your son when all you got is a 20ga shotgun thankfully we didnt come across any buff. Well after walking around for awhile we come across something that was pretty cool. There in the grass was the remains of what looked to be a 2year old 2X3 buck most of the bones covered a 20" circle in the middle was the scull with the rack still in place Logan was really happy to find something this cool.
So now he has a something neat to put on his wall after I clean it up a bit. Well to make a long story short we only bagged one rabbit but hey one is better then none right :D .

Anyway had a good time and thought I would share.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

There are a couple of ponds at the top of the hill that hold bass too!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Good times!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jeremy -

So cool! Logan will never forget that day!!! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sounds like a good time. :)
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

That's pretty cool. I'm sure both of you had a good time. One rabbit is definitely better than none at all.

Good ol' Pendleton does have some nice scenery and it is beautiful in the mornings for sure. I almost kind of miss it...except the humps, or Oceanside, or the drive down the 5, or California in general. :lol:

Never did hunt there though. I use to take hops out to Lejeune and hunt deer and turkey in the New River area with some friends.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

The rabbit was just the icing on the cake! One rabbit or none, looks like the guys had one great time...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Some of my favorite memories are "Bunny Bustin' " with my Dad and my cousin. My cousin had a big farm less than 30 mn from where we lived and was allways happy when we came down.

We would get out early in the am W/ frost on the ground and spend all day beating the brush. My cousin had a Browning Auto 5 / 12 gage that had had so many rounds through it that it was pretty worn out. He'd get off a shot and the thing would jamb and I would finish off what ever he'd shot at w/ my model 12.

Thanks for the post Jeremy. I haven't thought about my Cousin Johnny in a while. He's been gone 20 years now. Those were good Days! God I miss Him!
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Good times!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep we had fun.
Hopefully I can get time this weekend to clean up the scull to the point that the wife will let me bring it in the house to hang up for him. Deer gun season opens up for us on Oct 13th so looking forward to that. If he stops messing around at school I told him that I would take him out with me. The base says he has to be 12 to shoot anything but they dont mind if he tags along smart kid he just gets bored to quikly in class.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Jeremy,

That is neat. I'd eat up that kind of stuff when I was his age. Also, I didn't know that Camp Pendelton had buffalo (bison bison). Wow!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

We have a bunch of them they are always going on to the ranges and interupting training. I keep bugging the base to let us hunt them even if it is a limited draw but they just blow me off. They are really ill tempered I have watched them charge the trucks of the animal control guys when they show up to shoo them off of a range.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis