Favorite cast boolit in a Browning Model 53

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AlanF
Levergunner

Favorite cast boolit in a Browning Model 53

Post by AlanF »

I'm getting ready to order a mold from Accurate Molds and am considering a 3 cavity with 2 cavities for the 31-105C and 1 cavity for the 31-112L. Both will be plain base. I currently have a Lyman 311316GC. These will be shot in my Browning Model 53. So before I fire off my order I wanted to hear from those casting and shooting boolits in a Browning 53 as to what your favorite is. I will be casting in 1:20 alloy. Thanks.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Favorite cast boolit in a Browning Model 53

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Browning 53 and a Uberti 73 ,both in .32-20 and they both shoot the Lyman
311008 PB bullet very well without any leading.
7 gr. of 2400 makes a super accurate target load. Pushed by 8 or 9 gr. you are into top
end hunting loads.
Have fun! :wink:
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have a Browning 53, a pre-war Winchester 1892 octagon rifle, and a Cimarron deluxe 1873 octagon rifle all in .32-20. I'm using the Lyman 311008, weighing around 115 grains, sized .314 with good success in all three rifles. The Cimarron is my main Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge Silhouette rifle, and last year I was able to advance to Master class with it, so that bullet is definitely working well for me.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Shasta, that's mighty good shooting!
Mind if I ask what powder (s) you have been getting good results with?

Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

John in MS wrote:Shasta, that's mighty good shooting!
Mind if I ask what powder (s) you have been getting good results with?

Thanks,
John

I'm currently using 14.0 grains of Reloader 7 with a Winchester Small Pistol primer. I also get good accuracy with 10.0 grains of IMR 4227. Now, if I could just knock down ten-in-a-row on the 75 meter Turkey targets I could have that elusive Grand Slam in NRA Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge silhouette. I've done nine, but somehow I choke on that tenth target. :x

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I had a handfull of 32-20's I liked my homecast 311316's quite a bit and shot a fair number of them , typically with 5 grains of Unique .

I also liked the Ranch Dog 313-115GC and again with 5 grains of Unique .

Also liked the Lyman 311419 I believe it was , a 90 grain round flat nose gascheck bullet that was supposed to be about 90 grains and again I pushed it with 5 grains of Unique .

The 311419 was capable of knocking down the rams at 100 meters in the lever action pistol caliber class but the 311316's and the RD's did a little better job .

I used the 311419 a bit as a close range squirrel load , think I killed maybe a dozen squirrels with the bullet and a little less Unique . I had four Marlin 1894's in 32-20 at the time and used the load to kill a couple with each rifle .

So there you have it my own personal preference for 32-20's when I still had them were to cast my own using the Lyman 311316 , Lyman 311419 and the Ranch Dog 313-115GC .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AlanF
Levergunner

Post by AlanF »

Thanks for the load and bullet info. I wish I could locate some Unique and Reloder 7 and primers. Perhaps once we get beyond the current crisis...
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks, guys, for the great information! :D

Out of curiosity, what kind of groups were you able to get with your better loads at 100 meters (yards)?
Thanks,
John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

John in MS wrote:Thanks, guys, for the great information! :D

Out of curiosity, what kind of groups were you able to get with your better loads at 100 meters (yards)?
Thanks,
John
Off the bench with peep sights at 100 meters I was happy with 3 in 2" .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks! That will be a useful benchmark!

John
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968