U.S.F.A. Hartford, CT

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

U.S.F.A. Hartford, CT

Post by Arminius »

Hello!

I just acquired ( I think cheap ) an USFA SA .44 - 40 SA, with 4 3/4 " bbl, highly polished nickel finish. Hardly fired ( until now ). The Original owner added further set of stocks, made from nearly white red stag bone.

It´s a KEEPER!

Dead on at 25 yds, will keep 6 rds of Magtech CAS loads in 2".

Looking forward to test the other gun, a Colt Lightning replica, NIB, 24" octagon barrel, CCH frame, .44 - 40 cal!

What is the opinion in General on those guns?

IMO they simply stomp Uberti and the like in the ground - NO comparison!

Is it true, that spare parts are interchangably with Original Ponys?

A VERY happy shooter, Hermann
Hobie

Re: U.S.F.A. Hartford, CT

Post by Hobie »

I have 4 so I think I must like them a bit... Is your Lightning carbine also a USFA? Those are pretty rare. The USFA guns are in a bit of a demand now that the company has quit producing them in favor of a plastic fantastic .22 semi-auto pistol they call the ZIP.

This is my Rodeo which I got from Rob Leahy of Simply Rugged holster fame. This is the gun I've been carrying in a Mernickle P6SA for the past 3 months.

Here's a not so good photo of my color case and dome blue single action, also in .45 Colt but with .45 ACP cylinder as well.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I love 'em - and mine in particular-- NOS .44 Sp Rodeo I picked up a few years ago, then antiqued. I try not to do too much comparison with the Ubertis--as I also have a Cimarron P in .44 Sp I really enjoy. I kinda let them be their own greatnesses on their own!...But yes, USFA right up there at or near the top in quality, fit and finish. There are/were different USFA models so I can't say unequiviocally, but like the Ubertis, IIRC the USFA's grips are just enough different from the Colt's so as to not be entirely interchangeable--at least not w/o some work--but I don't know how accurate. Also, some customizers have transplanted USFA cylinders into some Rugers (midframes?) I believe. Until one of the last USFA models made, their special model supposedly made to precise blackpowder-era 1st Gen specifications, the USFA's cylinders were bigger OD than the Colt's. I wish USFA had hung around long enough for me to be able to afford their "Double Eagle"--definitely on my wish list.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ahem....

For those of us who are in the Barely-enlightened-heathen category of levergunners, some PICTURES would help...!

:wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

It's a shame that USFA quit making a great SA. I love my USFA. Great wheelgun.

and with the 44 Special cylinder

bdhold

Post by bdhold »

ouch, that hurts my feelings.
Great acquisition.
Thanks for the photos.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

.44 Sp Rodeo
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You fellows who have these are fortunate. Only came across on I believe. Should have gotten it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I guess I'm gonna be a wet blanket on this schmoozing contest, but I've come across one several years back and ..... I was not impressed. Just another over priced clone.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the pictures...! 8)

Now at least I know what you're all talking about that I don't have one of.

They look nice.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Hobie wrote:I have 4 so I think I must like them a bit... Is your Lightning carbine also a USFA? Those are pretty rare. The USFA guns are in a bit of a demand now that the company has quit producing them in favor of a plastic fantastic .22 semi-auto pistol they call the ZIP.
The Lightning rifle is serial # just over 2.000, the SA is around 25.000 ... from the little I know, they could have been made around 2009 / 2010.

I understand they hardly will ever be made ... and, IMHO, even if yes, not in the same quality, I´m sure.

;-(

Hermann
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is my understanding that USFA has ceased production of all but the ZIP guns and have sold all the old machines and tooling and let the good gunsmiths/assemblers go. No more USFA SAs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hobie wrote:It is my understanding that USFA has ceased production of all but the ZIP guns and have sold all the old machines and tooling and let the good gunsmiths/assemblers go. No more USFA SAs.
I just don't understand it. They quickly sold out of everything they made, so how could business have been bad? It's almost like the ZIP gun thing is a huge joke the owner/money guy is privately making...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Ravenman wrote:Image
pls: What Holster is that?

Looks like a Duke Rig with safety strap ...

Hermann
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

looks like a Bianchi Lawman #1L.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Yes, it is a Bianchi Lawman 1L holster and the El Paso saddlery 44 belt.