Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert

Post by Aussie Chris »

Gday all.
Neil Young and Crazy Horse had a concert here in Melbourne on friday night.
He is my favourite artist, grew up listening to his music through my dad.
So being dads birthday today I got us tickets for the friday show.
He was fantastic live, as was his band Crazy Horse. Still sounds exactly the same as he did in the 60's and 70's!

First song was the classic Powderfinger, brought a tear to my old mans eye.
So good to see an artist that started long before my time still rocking it at 67.
And to top it off he played Cortes the Killer my favourite.
A great night with dad that really made us feel something special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b76yiq ... ata_player

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Neil Young and Crazy Horse concert

Post by AJMD429 »

I like some of his music, but can't stand his anti-gun (pro-genocide) views. :evil:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

G'day
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Great memories... and what the heck... I was liberal as all get-out back then. What do they say? "If you're not a liberal in your teens and 20's you have no heart, but if you're not a conservative in your 40's you have no brain!"

Music transcends politics, except that stuff they use for politics. I don't care which side of the fence they sit on, they might be musical or lyrical genuises, but still have no brains! Admire their artristry, ignore their rantings!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Griff,
I am shocked!
Long version of carry on, still love that song;
Do it on alone nights in the mountains on a KILLER Kenwood stereo.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Griff,
I am shocked!
Long version of carry on, still love that song;
Do it on alone nights in the mountains on a KILLER Kenwood stereo.
Why? Didn't you have a heart in your 20's? :P :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yes,
but I am stunned by you.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

G'day
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Could not have said it better myself Griff :)

I did not intend for this post to be political, just a post about me and my old man having a good time seeing an artist we both love for his birthday. Liking his music does not mean I agree with his political or religious views. Although alot of his music does bring to light real world issues, an artist that sings about real things besides most BS you hear on the radio these days.

OS, gun laws changed in '96 yes. Mostly lost the gun battle? Don't know about that. I don't totally agree with our gun laws but they work. I can pick anyone of my 12 levers, and go and hunt sambar deer 365 days a year if I wanted to-all legally. I think we have it ok here, and thats coming from a LEO. ''We certainly don't need to laud ANY left wingers.'' Care to elaborate? Is this directed at me and do you speak for everyone on here? :)

Just to put myself in perspective here, I am 27 and wish I was around when this music was new! :mrgreen:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:"If you're not a liberal in your teens and 20's you have no heart, but if you're not a conservative in your 40's you have no brain!"

I have heard that bullshit for some time - propogated by old time liberals no doubt - they had no brain then and are trying to make excuses - the truth was always obvious. Tell me what your big hearts did back then cause I knew you then too. That is the general you not the particular. Most of the rockers were just degenerates and still are. Know a fellow who sells guitars and gear to them - then buys it back, he will tell you the funny stories. Don't give a pelosi what kind of music they played.
Well, in the particular "me", a war and the military cured me of foolishness. Life then kinda took that to new levels. Well... actually being burgaled (sp?) and becoming an LEO, seeing "hangers-on" and "give-me" types game the system so they didn't have to contribute took the rest of my liberalism.

Feinstein proves that statement. I misquoted, it should have read: "If you're not a liberal in your teens and 20's you have no heart, but if you're not a conservative by your 40's you have no brain!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Glad it was good! Went to a concert tonight with my babe too. Good times and memories. :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Did he sing "Southern Man"? :?
"After the Gold Rush" and "Harvest" my favorite albums from him. :wink:
Cherish the times you have with Dad, I sure miss mine. :cry:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Politics aside your a lucky guy to see him with Crazy Horse. Rust never sleeps. :mrgreen:
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Aussie Chris,

Sounds like a great concert. He has always been sort of an eclectic rocker [especially with his feedback techniques] but played a very mean guitar. Can't think of the name of the song but has the lyrics " a kinder, gentler, machine gun hand" Did he play this as well?

Home & hose and Bob's yer Uncle :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Neil and the Shocking Pinks is a great rockabilly album.

mostly what he is, is a very good songwriter.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Yes, it is. "Kinda Fond of Wanda" is a great song.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marvin S wrote:Politics aside your a lucky guy to see him with Crazy Horse. Rust never sleeps. :mrgreen:
Yep. Not many of the good entertainers are exactly 'conservative' politically anyway, so you just have to enjoy the music and take it for what it is. Ted Nugent is the only musician I'm sure I'd agree with 100% politically, but I don't care for his music, other than his one "Fred Bear" album of 'hunting music'.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Neil Young .... the greatest, the strangest, the wierdest ...... all the evocative imagery & romanticism of the purity of the human relationship ..... all the reality of the impurity of the human relationship ...... who but Neil Young could write such soaring magnificent poetry & music like Cortez The Killer in which all he has to say is, "another chick dumped me" ..... pure genius.

I used to hang out at a bar in Woodside, CA where he was known to occasionally wander in ..... but he never did when I was there. The romanticism of youth, hoping to meet in reality someone too easily idolized and mythologized.

Cheers,

Carl
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A few years ago Neil was on one of the cable channels,He sounded just like He did the year I got out of school in'72 :shock: . The blue jeans He had on looked like they were the same age :lol: .
My Dad has been gone 31 years and I think it's terriffic You are going to a N.Y. concert with Yours. I wish You many more.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I don't expect politicians to be able to sing, and similarly don't much care about singers' politics, provided they keep it out of their songs.
Hayseed
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hayseed »

Neil had some good songs but horrible political views for sure !

Heres one of his I liked also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Yo7Y-jgmc
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

92&94 wrote:I don't expect politicians to be able to sing, and similarly don't much care about singers' politics, provided they keep it out of their songs.

I'm the same way. Sometimes hard to reconcile I admit. One of my favorite artists is (known to be) pretty liberal in his personal "at home" views but keeps it largely out of his songs. He made one exception in a recent year's release. I was quite dissappointed as he'd previously and consistently avoided inserting his views--at least as overtly, meaning except with some general, braod-brush esoteric references from time to time that were not offensive (and even could be very clever and insightful (about the general human condition etc), not divisive). So, I just re-recorded the factory CD, took the offending song out, and created a new CD. A shame as it wasn't even a bad song "in toto" but one or two lines in particular spoiled the whole apple and bugged me. It wasn't even that I disagreed with the politics expressed as much as politics were in there at all. Everyone's allowed to be an idiot (once!) so, like a true fan I granted him the one transgression and remain a big follower.

In my younger years in particular, I enjoyed playing (guitar) "hard rock" (well, more medium-rock looking at the full spectrum) as a sort of "recreational release" without drugs--there's a kinda "rush" (hey, a song in there? :) ) and energy dump (and receiver) playing hard/loud live,...but in my leisure (and playing most years since) my tastes were softer - "kinder 'n gentler" I guess you'd say... soft/folk rock (including early Neil Young), jazz and classical - always have been that way--occasionally spiced up with the harder stuff. Still enjoy finding a "venue" to be able to really crank it up from time to time! (As a sign of the times and my age, the HOA wouldn't abide :) ). A lot of artists are that way, btw, what they play and what they listen to two entirely different things.
A friend regularly chides me for my soft jazz and folkie tastes while he's always rocking the harder stuff on the radio, but I have to remind him - "hey, you"re forgetting I used to (and occasionally still) actually play that stuff all the time, I don't want to isten to it all the time too! Like coming home from work, often the last thing you want to talk about is more work! Sometimes you do but it's not that often.

Back to the OP nd other's comments on Neil Young, great to hear of the concert--wish I was there!! I too oarticularly enjoyed (and covered) Harvest etc, then later Harvest Moon as a return to his early 70's roots, and I've enjoyed his Crazy Horse stuff,...but he strayed a bit in his esoteric adventures inbetweeen those eras for my tastes. Genius songwriter but odd duck in some of his personal/professional outlook (not just his politics). Saw a recent documentary on him and that cleared some things up about those more "musically adventurous" almost chameleon-like years. I "got" his free spirit 'it's all about the music, the heck with what anyone thinks' but, though he acknowleded the hurt he's caused (bandmates, CSN esp, leaving them high and dry, dissappearing, last minute canceling, etc, because he had to follow his "muse") with his singular focus,...but he then seemed to dismiss it too--meaning his damaging behavior -- as in "but that's the way it is" (praphrase) It's like saying to someone "Gee, sure am sorry I get abusive, vulgar in mixed company, violent and hurt you when I drink too much every day, but hey that's what I do, it's the way I am" -- is a bit hard to figure, making him out to be sort of an *ss in some ways personally. We've all got our oddities but he's.another step beyond in many ways! I guess that's "genius"! Like the politics, I guess you gotta move on from the personal idiocyncracies and enjoy the music--or not!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gak wrote:So, I just re-recorded the factory CD, took the offending song out, and created a new CD.
Ha..! I did that with Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Saturday Night Special" - loved all the other songs, but just got mad when I heard that one so I left it off the cassette tape I made off the album.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now - one thing to consider - if you create a personal exception for rock stars etc., you can't really criticize anyone else's personal exceptions which pretty much covers all the criticism here of any politics. :D happy Irish Day!

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Well, my personal exception is usually along the lines of "Feel free to think any darn fool thing you want, and I will do the same. If I ya speak the darn fool things you think, I'll probably stop listening" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So yeah, pretty much applies everywhere. I watch/listen to entertainers that I find entertaining. I don't usually find their political views entertaining, so if they harp on them, I'll move on. Movies where Brad Pitt gets killed get an extra special exemption, I'll watch that any day, saves an otherwise lousy movie. The one where he got eaten by a bear in the end was an especially nice surprise :mrgreen: I ought to start looking for Damon mortality too :mrgreen:

Entertainers who agree with me politically are just a bonus, but there are few enough of them that if I based my entertainment decisions on that alone, I'd be pretty bored much of the time.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

as history, Cortez the Killer is a lie. Cortez was God's man sent to put an end the worst blood-lust-cult in the history of the world.
But it's a great song.

I wouldn't shoot my baby down by the river, but that's a great song, too.

Ohio. A song that should have been written.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I like Neil Young's music. He's just an entertainer to me. I regard him the same as I do all other entertainers, he is a wackjob with one redeemable quality. His is music, I listen to it and completely ignore the rest of his bs.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Being a product of the late 70's and early 80's I can honestly say that every time NY or CSNY came on the radio I about vomited. Couldn't turn the channel fast enough. And now being somewhat more politically minded I can't stand em even more. Heck I'm almost to the point of writing letters just hearing his name let alone his voice.

I'll start here.......

Dear Mods, I feel it's my duty to report any post or thread containing the words "Neil Young" or his initials. Lacking action by you fine folks will result in me bringin my full power down to see it doesn't happen again. And we all know what that can mean :D so please don't bring me down to that level. :twisted:

(You guys think I rode that fine line between civilized and scary or was I too far on the scary side?)
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

CSN = beautiful three part harmony in dark, even a little twisted, songs
CSNY = rock and roll
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Used to love listening to Steven Stills- Manassas too. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

neil young....is not very well liked in the south...

his old boat was parked next to the restuarant i used to wotk back in the 80s..

rather listen to skynard, marshall tucker, charlie daniels, allman bros. and such
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS