So..........This Army Truck Pulls In My Driveway..........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

So..........This Army Truck Pulls In My Driveway..........

Post by Sixgun »

and I think to myself, "well, it looks like Round 1 of citizen internment" I always knew I was on the Fed's "Red List".

I grab the AR with 4 extra 30 round mags, ready my 1911, give my wife her M-1 carbine with a few mags, call in the dogs, close the steel shudders, turn on the electric for the claymores, and hit the "alert button" so my buds know whats going on and.............................................

its only my buddy Tommy, who owns Targetmaster showing off his new to him Army truck. Life and money have been good for him.

Funny thing, this truck is only about 10 years old, has only 7,600 miles on it, Caterpiller diesel engine, has run-flat tires, (with a new spare) 6 speed automatic Allison trans, and cost him the paltry sum of 8 g's. Our tax dollars at work?

Looking forward to having some fun with this baby. :D ---------------Sixgun

I figure I'll take it for a cruise.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Re: So..........This Army Truck Pulls In My Driveway........

Post by Panzercat »

...And gets zero point zero miles to the gallon :D
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That would make one cool "Bug Out" vehicle.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Dang :mrgreen: If you really didn't know, I bet you "stuffed" your drawers....I remember driving the old 60s version of those. No power steering in those really sucked :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Say now, you look dern right cool sittin in that thar rig bro. 8)
That would of made me real nervous too, might had to sick my new dog on em. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Those are being sold off in favor of the shorter wheel base, and more powerful, cabover design, which I approve of since it's nearly impossible to get behind the steering wheel in those while wearing body armor and being 6'1". Be careful on long trips, when maxed out around 60-65 (in a good running truck) the truck will start bouncing on the tires and the rhythm will put u to sleep. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Panzercat wrote:...And gets zero point zero miles to the gallon :D
You know somethin'? We were cruising down Rt. 1 doing 50 mph and the tach read 3,000 rpm (on a diesel!) and I say's to Tommy, "The mileage on this cannot be too good." He say's "Who cares? and besides, look at all the "green people" this is gonna pee off". :D --------------6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote:
Panzercat wrote:...And gets zero point zero miles to the gallon :D
You know somethin'? We were cruising down Rt. 1 doing 50 mph and the tach read 3,000 rpm (on a diesel!) and I say's to Tommy, "The mileage on this cannot be too good." He say's "Who cares? and besides, look at all the "green people" this is gonna pee off". :D --------------6
I'm thinking you could cruise at 10mpg pulling a monster load.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote:
I'm thinking you could cruise at 10mpg pulling a monster load.

I've been told that army trucks make the best vehicles for snow plows but with the total 7" we have had this winter, its a waste to spend the bucks.

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looks like that could be a LOT of fun :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr is gonna be :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There's a lot of the older ones around here. I always wondered what one would cost.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've driven through some really nasty road conditions in the older versions. I liked them but I can't fit one into my parking area or under my carport.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

8 G's ! That is a lot of truck for so little money. I might be moving up north in 5 or 6 years. That truck would sure be useful where I plan to move.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

We replaced all of those 5 tons with the new 7 tons a while back. Used to have a license to drive those things.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've wanted one of those almost as long as I've wanted a WWII half track!!

Watch out for the Beemers!! :lol:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Can your friend offer up where he bought that for 8000 dollars. I've been in the market for 1 or a Unimogfor the last couple years
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Back in '96 when I ran the DLNR maintenance section for Maui district I needed a tough 4x4 work truck. I was able to purchase a surplus Chevy 1.25 ton 4x4 truck for just $1200.00. It came with a 6.2 diesel, turbo 400 transmission and Detroit lockers on both axles. It also only had 14,000 miles on it. I believe it was an '85. Only thing it need were cosmetic. The dash had one crack from UV exposure which a cheap dash cover from Checker auto parts hid, and the seat had one rip which a Checker Auto Parts blanket seat cover also took care of. Due to it's low final gearing this truck could only top out at 70 mph but on Maui I never needed to go above 60 anyways and usually allot less. It got decent mileage, was very reliable, and could go just about anywhere with it's lockers, and ultra low gearing in 4x4 low. Wish I still had it. The state in '99 got me a new F-150 ford which was okay especially the AC and CD player but I preferred driving the Chevy. My underlings thrashed that truck driving it in saltwater without rinsing off afterwards so the poor Chevy finally rusted it's frame and lower body panels to pieces. :x

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Back in '96 when I ran the DLNR maintenance section for Maui district I needed a tough 4x4 work truck. I was able to purchase a surplus Chevy 1.25 ton 4x4 truck for just $1200.00. It came with a 6.2 diesel, turbo 400 transmission and Detroit lockers on both axles. It also only had 14,000 miles on it. I believe it was an '85. Only thing it need were cosmetic. The dash had one crack from UV exposure which a cheap dash cover from Checker auto parts hid, and the seat had one rip which a Checker Auto Parts blanket seat cover also took care of. Due to it's low final gearing this truck could only top out at 70 mph but on Maui I never needed to go above 60 anyways and usually allot less. It got decent mileage, was very reliable, and could go just about anywhere with it's lockers, and ultra low gearing in 4x4 low. Wish I still had it. The state in '99 got me a new F-150 ford which was okay especially the AC and CD player but I preferred driving the Chevy. My underlings thrashed that truck driving it in saltwater without rinsing off afterwards so the poor Chevy finally rusted it's frame and lower body panels to pieces. :x

If I had to drive between Seoul, and Camp Casey in winter, I'd try to get one of those, or, something like it.....I disagree with those that like jeeps in the nasty winter weather.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

rbertalotto wrote:Can your friend offer up where he bought that for 8000 dollars. I've been in the market for 1 or a Unimogfor the last couple years
He bought it off of a private party, who had it for a year or two and got tired of it. That guy got it in Philly at some military surplus dealer.------------6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I want a Hummer. Know where there are LOTS of fixer-uppers!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice! I want. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

BlaineG wrote:
Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Back in '96 when I ran the DLNR maintenance section for Maui district I needed a tough 4x4 work truck. I was able to purchase a surplus Chevy 1.25 ton 4x4 truck for just $1200.00. It came with a 6.2 diesel, turbo 400 transmission and Detroit lockers on both axles. It also only had 14,000 miles on it. I believe it was an '85. Only thing it need were cosmetic. The dash had one crack from UV exposure which a cheap dash cover from Checker auto parts hid, and the seat had one rip which a Checker Auto Parts blanket seat cover also took care of. Due to it's low final gearing this truck could only top out at 70 mph but on Maui I never needed to go above 60 anyways and usually allot less. It got decent mileage, was very reliable, and could go just about anywhere with it's lockers, and ultra low gearing in 4x4 low. Wish I still had it. The state in '99 got me a new F-150 ford which was okay especially the AC and CD player but I preferred driving the Chevy. My underlings thrashed that truck driving it in saltwater without rinsing off afterwards so the poor Chevy finally rusted it's frame and lower body panels to pieces. :x

If I had to drive between Seoul, and Camp Casey in winter, I'd try to get one of those, or, something like it.....I disagree with those that like jeeps in the nasty winter weather.
Spent a lot of time on the roads in Korea. The ¼Ts would go in snow but ALL the other vehicles were bigger and THAT part wasn't so good. It was really nice to look those bus drivers dead in the eye while jockeying for position at a stop light.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

"So..........This Army Truck Pulls In My Driveway.........."

...may have been the rough translation of what the Frenchman said when a QM truck company showed up in 1945 as his temporary tenants. I can't recall verbatim what my uncle - a company motor vehicle maintenance officer - said many years ago when he told me about the place, but he conveyed to me that this chateau in (or near) Rouen where they stayed didn't exactly benefit from the visit. Of the place, he did write in a letter:

"In the early part of January we moved into a chateau on the west of Rouen, and it was very comfortable after spending so many weeks in tents. Near this chateau were heavy woods, and in these were wild boar and deer, and those deer were really large ones, too; the only time I saw them was one evening as I was coming home from town and they were in the center of the road. The lights from my jeep blinded them long enough for me to get close (and) get a good look at them, and they were an excellent pair of deer."

(His postwar "deer rifle" was, incidentally, a levergun: a Winchester '94 which was sold by his widow to an old hunting companion.)

Because of Uncle Cy, whenever I see the term "army truck," I still automatically think of a CCKW.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deafrn on Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So what are the strange pie-shaped things on the wheels...???

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

a pal of mine here in Kali had a Pinzgauer for a few years .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_ ... in_Vehicle

Cheers,

Carl
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

AJMD429 wrote:So what are the strange pie-shaped things on the wheels...???

Those are part of the tire pressure monitoring and adjustment system. The tire pressure can be adjusted from the cab on the fly, such as dropping the pressure for operation on sand, or raising it back up for highway.

The pictured vehicle is an M35A3, which likely started out life as an M35A1 built by AM General or one of it's successors. Select M35s were put through a "SLEP" or Service Life Extension Program of sorts where all manner or mods were performed, including replacement of the engine and manual transmission with the CAT diesel and Allison auto trans, and a changeover to "super single" tires from the rear duals. The headlights were moved from the grille to the front of the fenders. These trucks were employed until the bugs were worked out of the 1st generation FMTV tactical vehicles built by Stewart and Stevenson in Texas:

Last year, Oshkosh Defense was awarded the contract for the next generation of FMTV trucks:

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

The pie shaped plates are a protective cover for the tire inflation system.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

new pig hunter wrote:a pal of mine here in Kali had a Pinzgauer for a few years .....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_ ... in_Vehicle

Cheers,

Carl
Whats not to like about the Pinzgauer? Air cooled reliable engine, very high load rating and carrying capacity with reduced wheelbase for the cabover design, manually locking axles, very high ground clearance and can do the speedlimit unlike a Unimog.

Saw one in Yellowstone years ago with a bumper sticker reading "Don't follow me, you won't make it."
11B30
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Man! I like that new generation army truck.

Where does that Pinzgauer come from? Thats pretty neat too.--------6

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff wrote:I want a Hummer. Know where there are LOTS of fixer-uppers!!!!
Go to a DRMO auction. You can find info for them online. The ones at auction are ussualy so beat up that you need to buy 3 or 4 to get 1 good one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Sixgun wrote:Man! I like that new generation army truck.

Lots of EU countries use it, I believe it's made in Sweden. Quite a few running around CO. Cold War imports in Denver used to sell them. My insurance agent said they're hard to insure. Makes a Jeep look like a pile of stuff, and the Humvee wishes it was half the vehicle. Every time I climb in a Humvee wearing full battle rattle, I swear to slap engineer who designed the passenger compartment. A Humvee can hold 4 and a gunner. Pinzgauer can hold 8 in the 4x4 model and all their gear comfortably and go places that would get a Humvee stuck.
11B30
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Noah Zark wrote:
AJMD429 wrote:So what are the strange pie-shaped things on the wheels...???

Those are part of the tire pressure monitoring and adjustment system. The tire pressure can be adjusted from the cab on the fly, such as dropping the pressure for operation on sand, or raising it back up for highway.

The pictured vehicle is an M35A3, which likely started out life as an M35A1 built by AM General or one of it's successors. Select M35s were put through a "SLEP" or Service Life Extension Program of sorts where all manner or mods were performed, including replacement of the engine and manual transmission with the CAT diesel and Allison auto trans, and a changeover to "super single" tires from the rear duals. The headlights were moved from the grille to the front of the fenders. These trucks were employed until the bugs were worked out of the 1st generation FMTV tactical vehicles built by Stewart and Stevenson in Texas:

Last year, Oshkosh Defense was awarded the contract for the next generation of FMTV trucks:

Noah

The old 35' aren't too bad to drive, though I nearly killed a squad of Australians with one by accident. Desert camo works when your windshield is sanded over.....

The LMTVs are awesome to drive. Excellent visibility.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dude---we had one from 1980-1998(the Deuce and a half)
Put a rough cut Heavy Duty white Oak stunning stake bed on it with the high removable side racks(all oak) on it and a huge railroad rail for the front bumper.
We custom painted her metal flake orange! :lol: :D
OMG---------------that thing was a beast.
It made my 1969 13" lifted F100(44" super Swampers)look like-----a little punk! :lol:

It would pull my "One Fine 69" ------(2)John Deere B's---------(1)John Deere A------(1)GT14 WheelHorse-----all together :lol: :shock:
Then go out and have coffee!

We took it up a unreal steep log road in the woods(you know the type when going up with a 4X4 ATV your standing up leaning over the handle bars,about 20% grade "dirt/leaves"about 1/4 mile(all my 1966 Bronco wanted)-----brother is driving the beast, I am looking over a gorge about 300-400ft down to a rocky creek bottom-----brother says-----don't sweat it little bro if we loose it we will get hung up on one of the big oaks going down smiling as he is driving! :roll:
That thing is what we used to haul all our JD's around!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

sore shoulder wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Man! I like that new generation army truck.

Lots of EU countries use it, I believe it's made in Sweden . . .

The Pinzgauer was developed in Austria, by Steyr-Daimler-Puch. Since then, the rights to the Pinzgauer have been sold several times, and are now owned by BAE in Great Britain.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .