Movies - Red Dawn II

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Movies - Red Dawn II

Post by jh45gun »

darn good remake. It strayed a bit from the original but it was a good flick. Only bad part in the movie was the first couple of minutes. First couple min of film was news clips showing trouble leading up to the invasion. Seeing film clips of Zero and Bidet and Billary they could have left out as far as I am concerned. Other than that I enjoyed it.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Red Dawn II

Post by sore shoulder »

There's three major things missing from that movie that made the original great.

1. When Robert tells Colonel Tanner "the hate" "keeps him warm at night".

2. When Robert does a point blank mag dump from an AK into Daryl's guts for being a traitor, then shrugs and walks away in his blood splattered snow poncho. (A very important object lesson that really made the movie).

3. Patrick Swayze.

Wolverines!!!!!! :twisted:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Some one on an other forum said interesting movie considering what is going on with N Korea now. I said maybe that is what has the little twerps panties in a wad.
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I believe that was the stated reason for delaying the release of the film and for not making the Chinee the bad guys.

Big stinky ChiComm panty-wads.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

It wasn't bad but it was definitely tame compared to the original and lacked any iconic lines or memorable scenes.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

about the original, where the heck did the movie makers get Russian armored helicopters in the middle of the Cold War?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it made a lot more sense than the original and did a good job of standing on its own.

Look at the two versions of The Italian Job - both good movies, fitting for their times, and totally different.

Better get used to looking at Chris Hemsworth - he's a heck of an actor from his first roles as James Kirk's dad in Star Trek and the ex-con Kale in The Perfect Getaway - those two minor roles alone show his range. He has 5 movies in the wings.
Last edited by bdhold on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I liked it, not as much as the original, but it was good.
NRA Life Member
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I too liked the original better. But this one still was a good movie and just different enough to make it stand on its own. As far as Iconic Lines go I liked this one Jed Eckert: You ****** with the wrong family.

[kills Captain Cho]
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

sore shoulder wrote:There's three major things missing from that movie that made the original great.

1. When Robert tells Colonel Tanner "the hate" "keeps him warm at night".

2. When Robert does a point blank mag dump from an AK into Daryl's guts for being a traitor, then shrugs and walks away in his blood splattered snow poncho. (A very important object lesson that really made the movie).

3. Patrick Swayze.

Wolverines!!!!!! :twisted:
I sure hope you're a chick with that Partick Swayze comment! :lol:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mock ups.

http://filmpanzer.squarespace.com/journ ... smods.html

A Soviet T-72 on Main Street
Red Dawn (1984)

The Veluzat brothers of Southern California have been providing military vehicle props for Hollywood for over 20 years. Veluzat Army Retails has a large motor pool which includes vintage condition military trucks, jeeps, and tanks as well as vehicles that have been extensively modified to represent rare or otherwise unavailable AFVs in movies. Excelling at the art of VISMOD , The Veluzat brothers supervised the construction of a small army of full scale prop replicas of Soviet vehicles which included: two T-72s main battle tanks, a tracked BMD APC, an 8 wheeled BTR-60 APC, a tracked ZSU-23-4 anti-aircraft vehicle, a number of 4 wheeled BRDM-2 armored cars, and 3 Hind attack helicopters for the 1984 film "Red Dawn ." In 1984 the Cold War was still being waged and all these Russian vehicles were still front line weapons in Soviet and Warsaw Pact armies, so there was no chance that the production company, United Artists, was going to be able to use real vehicles to stage mock invasion of the US by Soviet, Cuban and Nicaraguan forces.

The Veluzat rendition of the Russian T-72 MBT was so good that supposedly a heavy hauler moving one of the vehicles was stopped on the road by U.S. government authorities who believed the VISMOD was really was a Soviet tank. Veluzat used a number of surplus U.S. Army M8A1 Cargo Tractors as the surrogates for their T-72s, ZSU-23-4 and an American M1 Abrams tank in "Red Dawn." The M8A1 Cargo Tractor was an ideal surrogate for the T-72 and other AFVs because of the size and profile of its chassis, its type of running gear and number of road wheels, and most importantly the ready supply of Army surplus spare parts. The M8A1 shared the many of the same parts as the M41 light tank and while both vehicles were retired from U.S. service well before 1984, a large pool of spare parts was available due to M41s still in service with a number of other armies around the world.

The "Red Dawn" VISMODs would go on to be used in a number of films over the years and in some form or another most of these vehicles are still available for film rental 22 years later.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Re: Movies - Red Dawn II

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Did not like it at all.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Quit going to the movies back in the '80s when my kids were little and wife and I just didn't think the higher prices were a good value. Then between seeing a couple of books I liked turned into crappy movies and coming to realize how little respect I had for the majority of the people who make and star in movies it hasn't taken much effort to stay away. I don't even have a TV in my truck, long as I have enough books, either Kindle or "real" I'm a happy camper in the sleeper.

What's with all the remakes? Are they really that much out of ideas?
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

bulldog1935 wrote:Better get used to looking at Chris Hemsworth - he's a heck of an actor from his first roles as James Kirk's dad in Star Trek and the ex-con Kale in The Perfect Getaway - those two minor roles alone show his range. He has 5 movies in the wings.
Not to mention Thor!
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Larkbill wrote:What's with all the remakes? Are they really that much out of ideas?
Hollywood has been doing "remakes" since it started making films. Robin Hood is a "remake" and has been many times. So was Gone With The Wind and The Lone Ranger etc.

We love our stories and they don't always have to be newly thought up. If Hollywierd takes a good, well known story - Beowulf for example - and "remakes" it into a good film that's just fine with me and many other lovers of traditional stories. The 13th Warrior was a good film! Not very PC today (it was made pre 9/11), but a dang good movie in my view. So was Outlander. So was Beowulf & Grendel. Same Beowulf origin story, totally different takes.

Pathfinder and Valhalla Rising are other great Viking movies, as Hollywood has made for years, and there's a Vikings show on TV now. What? They can't come up with something new?? I don't care! I LIKE Viking stories. :lol:

I'm looking forward to the new Lone Ranger movie also. :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

olyinaz wrote:
bulldog1935 wrote:Better get used to looking at Chris Hemsworth - he's a heck of an actor from his first roles as James Kirk's dad in Star Trek and the ex-con Kale in The Perfect Getaway - those two minor roles alone show his range. He has 5 movies in the wings.
Not to mention Thor!
Huh?? :P

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

I was throwing out his first two movie roles as minor characters and how diverse he can act.
The Perfect Getaway is in many ways a creepy movie, but real writing and directing art (especially the director's cut). You don't even recognize him as Kale, he plays such a perfect desperado.
In the opening scenes of Star Trek, you wanted him to be James Kirk, but he was George.
He's a kid, a relative newcomer, but a seasoned veteran. He has only been on the big screen for 3 years. In those 3 years, he has 5 lead roles and currently 5 more in the wings. He was great in Snow White and the Huntsman - spent that whole movie trying to figure out where I had seen him, and lauding what a perfect adventurer he played.

As far as remakes go, I can think of some great ones. Start with The Thief of Baghdad 1940.
And a lot of dogs. (Hollywood's worst reaching are the 60s sitcoms)
I would like to see a remake of The Eiger Sanction - certainly one of Clint Eastwood's best movies, and not quite an Eastwood vehicle, but I would like to see it redone without the 70s campy, less anti-authority, and less caricature in some of the characters.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

Larkbill wrote:Quit going to the movies back in the '80s when my kids were little and wife and I just didn't think the higher prices were a good value. Then between seeing a couple of books I liked turned into crappy movies and coming to realize how little respect I had for the majority of the people who make and star in movies it hasn't taken much effort to stay away. I don't even have a TV in my truck, long as I have enough books, either Kindle or "real" I'm a happy camper in the sleeper.

What's with all the remakes? Are they really that much out of ideas?

The last movie I went to was I Walk The Line the movie about Johnny Cash because I did not want to wait for it to come to netflix. I mostly these days either rent a DVD from Netflix or watch the streaming movies they offer on my computer. To me movies are not worth it to go see them I just wait for them to come to netflix.
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I liked the Thor and the Avengers Movies
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Ben-Hur was a remake too, yes they are out of ideas but remember it's a business and they have to take their ideas to committee. Also, once 20 years have gone by the target audience wasn't born then and they're not going to flock to an old movie. Scarface was a remake also. Still I don't like remakes myself, I'd rather see more variety. But if you want something bankable, a remake is it.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

as far as spending the movie dollar goes, I think just about everybody here watches most movies on their home HDTV (the new big screen).
The only trip to the theater in the past year was Bond.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"Also, once 20 years have gone by the target audience wasn't born then and they're not going to flock to an old movie."

Excellent point. Reminded me that my kids love the more modern westerns, but didn't get Big Jake or Fist Full of Dollars. But Quigley seems to work for several generations.

Doesn't help that the wife is a nurse and a little bit of a germ-a-phobe, never really feels comfortable in a movie house seat. But we rarely use our DVD player for anything but movies for the grandkids, so it's not just the theater experience that turns us off. We just would rather read, we each go through 2-3 books a week.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

we each go through 2-3 books a week.
That's nothing, I can go through a dozen books in half a second with my 45-70.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't go to the movies very often. I will probably wait for it to come out on HBO.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

El Chivo wrote:
we each go through 2-3 books a week.
That's nothing, I can go through a dozen books in half a second with my 45-70.

You have more holy books than I do.

Owen
jh45gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jh45gun »

I love to read books considering the stuff on TV these days. I mostly read or watch movies on netflix or get a DVD from them. The Library or rummage sales keeps me supplied with books to read.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"That's nothing, I can go through a dozen books in half a second with my 45-70."

Thanks, that made me laugh after a long, boring day.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Going to catch it at the Red Box here soon.