Help Africa Help Freezing Norwegians...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Help Africa Help Freezing Norwegians...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Help Africa Help Freezing Norwegians...

Post by olyinaz »

Africa: one of the few places we likely didn't get to in order to spread Viking cheer. :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

olyinaz wrote:Africa: one of the few places we likely didn't get to in order to spread Viking cheer. :mrgreen:

I don't think Africa had much to offer back when we were sailing around pillaging and generally having a good time. :mrgreen:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Geographically, Africa is LOTS bigger than our normal maps show...

The 'Peters' map projection shows continents by square-mile vs. the usual 'Mercator' projection.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

AJMD429 wrote: The 'Peters' map projection shows continents by square-mile vs. the usual 'Mercator' projection.
Originally suggested by Frederick Remington to cartographer Peters, it was going to be called the Remington-Peters projection but the name was already in use. :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Thanks for that link, Doc AJ.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
North Country Gal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by North Country Gal »

My hubby and I are down in Florida, right now, having left our beloved north woods of northern Wisconsin, while he gets some medical work done. Being half Norwegian, first thing I noticed when we got off the plane was the stifling heat, right about 72F. Of course, when we left home, it was single digit cold with still a foot and a half of snow.

That is nice of those folks to be concerned for my cousins back in Norway, though.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Good one, OI! :lol:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Well intentioned, but do they have electricity in Norway to run those heaters?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

2571 wrote:Well intentioned, but do they have electricity in Norway to run those heaters?
Just "green" geothermal... and Nukes... :wink:

Explaining the "point" of the video:

http://www.africafornorway.no/why
Imagine if every person in Africa saw the “Africa for Norway” video and this was the only information they ever got about Norway. What would they think about Norway?

If we say Africa, what do you think about? Hunger, poverty, crime or AIDS? No wonder, because in fundraising campaigns and media that’s mainly what you hear about.

The pictures we usually see in fundraisers are of "Poor African Children". Hunger and poverty is ugly, and it calls for action. But while these images can engage people in the short term, we are concerned that many people simply give up because it seems like nothing is getting better. Africa should not just be something that people either give to, or give up on.

The truth is that there are many positive developments in African countries, and we want these to become known. We need to change the simplistic explanations of problems in Africa. We need to educate ourselves on the complex issues and get more focus on how western countries (i.e. the bleeding heart "pour money at it" problem) have a negative impact on Africa’s development. If we want to address the problems the world is facing we need to do it based on knowledge and respect.
Parenthetical Red - me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Did the new forum guy from Norway respond to this string? Can't remember his name.