Recoil pad for a Win 1886 lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Recoil pad for a Win 1886 lever gun

Post by jmiller »

I've been working up some different loads for my light weight Win/Miruko 45-70 and I'm really not enjoying the process. The gun shoots great but even the lighter loads aren't enjoyable shooting with a light shirt on. The metal butt plate just isn't designed for recreational target shooting. Any suggestions on which pad would be the best to put on the gun? I've never had to put a pad on a gun before, recoil was always pretty manageable with the lighter calibers. This things leaving marks!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Recoil pad for a Win 1886 lever gun

Post by Mescalero »

Kick eze is a good pad.
But it is not period correct.
The guys know about someone who does a leather wrap around the butt thing.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a Kick Eeze on mine and it reduces recoil enormously and makes the rifle very comfortable to shoot.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There are several slip-on / lace-on recoil pads out there.
Don't chop up an original stock!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

This is off the bench or from hunting positions? If it's the bench, put a bag of lead shot between you and the stock. Kick-eeze is what I have on mine.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
For about $20 you can buy a Past Recoil thing-a-ma-jig. You just wear it. I keep one in my range box when playing with the big ones. Leave the rifle alone as any kind of a recoil pad on an '86 destroys its looks.--------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I used a slip-on pad for shooting my hard-kickers when practicing or zeroing in warm weather or while wearing thin clothing; then took it off the rifle when I went hunting in the Fall/Winter.

I've yet to notice recoil from any, while I was shooting at game.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The Pachmayer Decelerators work well, look pretty good, and sort of correct looking on an 86. One came on my 71, I dont mind it at all. I have Decelerators on several of my rifles, I think they look good for a pad.

If cutting it, think about changing the angle a little. I have them set at about 1/8" in from square at the toe, (meaning the toe is shorter than the top part of the stock. If a square is laid on the comb, it will leave a 1/8" gap at the toe while contacting the top of the butt plate surface) That angle change helps somewhat in keeping muzzle rise down when fired. It's also very fast handling compared to the old fashioned way of the toe being long.

How you shoot has a huge effect on how much felt recoil you experience. Most people have the gun too low and lean way into it, thats all wrong as far as felt recoil effect. Having your body straight up and down, with the gun rest built up enough to do that comfortably will make it seem like a different gun as far as felt recoil.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I put a brown Decellerator pad on my 86 Extra Lite... no white line spacers or other gaudy additions..

My "standard" .45-70 load pushes a 405 gr hard-cast FP slug at ~1950 fps, or a 440 grain cast FP @ ~1800 fps.. The pad is a real asset in taming recoil from these loads..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Thanks for all the replys. Some really good advice here. I checked out the Kickeez slip on pads and decided to go with that. After thinking it over, I decided not to alter the gun in any way that was permanent. I don't mind the recoil when hunting, it's just taking it to the bench with a half dozen loads to try out and sitting there shooting it that bothers me some. Thirty shots and I'm about done!

Just for your information: I'm jmiller and then there's j miller on here. I should have used something different when I joined (no space between my "j" and "miller". The other guy uses a space between his. He's the "old guy" on here. I'm just a youngster at 64. Thanks again for all your help.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I use one of these on my Browning 1886 carbine. It takes an Xsm.. (Extra small).... Watch the sizes if you get one...

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... RRWidgetID

From 118 reviews, it's pretty much a 5 star...
Works for me..

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My Kick-Eeze pad is fitted to the gun, but I did not have to alter the stock at all. Took off the metal buttplate, shaped the Kick-eeze and voila! It doesnt look bad at all as it is just plain black colored with no colors, lines or texturing on it. It adds needed length and reduces recoil great.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

pshort wrote:Howdy,
I use one of these on my Browning 1886 carbine. It takes an Xsm.. (Extra small).... Watch the sizes if you get one...

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... RRWidgetID

From 118 reviews, it's pretty much a 5 star...
Works for me..

Paul
Thanks for the head's up, PSHORT!
Aggiecubpilot
Levergunner

Post by Aggiecubpilot »

I use a leather slip on pad with a velcro closure that works very well but I've never shot a full grunt load out of my rifle either. I wanted to have a sling on mine but did not want to modify the stock in any way. I tied the rear of the sling around the butt with some cord and used the slip on pad to secure it in place and it doesn't slide around any. Doesn't look like much, but it doesn't have to look, it has to SHOOT! And it's totally reversible.

Hope this helps you