Cowboy Silhouette

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Cowboy Silhouette

Post by Griff »

Anyone ever shot cowboy leveraction silhouette at the Oklahoma City Gun club? I'm thinkin' of driving up there tomorrow and shootin'... gotta load some .30-30s... shot my last 20 cast rounds last weekend! :o :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cowboy Silhouette

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No cast 30/30 loads. :shock: There has to be some kind of forumn penalty for that :P I just found an unopened box of Hornady .30 cal gas checks. I didn't know I had stashed them away.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Go to the round barn in Arcadia, then east on old 66 and north on Hiwasee road. Oh, you've got the map. Never mind, have fun.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Hey Griff,
I'm about to look at some .30-30 silly-wet loads. What works for you?
The local matches want no more than 1400 fps..
Thanks for any info...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pshort wrote:Hey Griff,
I'm about to look at some .30-30 silly-wet loads. What works for you?
The local matches want no more than 1400 fps..
Thanks for any info...
Paul
Mine are about 2200fps... I just can't seem to get 'em slower than that... :P :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3leggedturtle wrote:No cast 30/30 loads. :shock: There has to be some kind of forumn penalty for that :P
Probably should be. After casting, lubri-sizing and sortin' out the bad ones... I ended up with about 200 good bullets... then, I started looking at my brass. I had a few rounds in the tumbler, along with some .375 Win... and about 1,000 rounds of cleaned brass. But none in the "already sized jar"... which means none that were already check for proper length... Well... that's all recitified... 51 loaded rounds... 150gr CGFP, sized to .309, loaded in once fired Winchester cases with 36 grains of BL-C(2). But, with blister on thumb and index finger from the trimmer... I gave up! I was thinkin' of just showin' up at RKrodle's door at 0430 and tell 'im... "hey grab your .30-30 we're goin' to OKC!" But, on second thought, figured he might sic the dog on me... in fact... given the time I finished my loadin'... 0430 ain't lookin' too likely for me either!

Edited to add: NOW I see the value in an electric case trimmer! On the list of MUST buy!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Griff,
I've fallen in like with the Lee trimmers. I put the holder in a drill vise and the cutter in my drill press. Makes quick work of trimming anything I've got the proper trimmer for. I'm sure you could do something similar with a hand drill motor.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
1400 with a 170 gr. cast won't be any good for the rams unless you hit them high or on the rump.

But who really cares, as I go to these matches to have fun and to make fun of others who don't have the necessary loads to shoot the rams. :D --------------Sixgun :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Griff wrote:
3leggedturtle wrote:No cast 30/30 loads. :shock: There has to be some kind of forumn penalty for that :P
Probably should be. After casting, lubri-sizing and sortin' out the bad ones... I ended up with about 200 good bullets... then, I started looking at my brass. I had a few rounds in the tumbler, along with some .375 Win... and about 1,000 rounds of cleaned brass. But none in the "already sized jar"... which means none that were already check for proper length... Well... that's all recitified... 51 loaded rounds... 150gr CGFP, sized to .309, loaded in once fired Winchester cases with 36 grains of BL-C(2). But, with blister on thumb and index finger from the trimmer... I gave up! I was thinkin' of just showin' up at RKrodle's door at 0430 and tell 'im... "hey grab your .30-30 we're goin' to OKC!" But, on second thought, figured he might sic the dog on me... in fact... given the time I finished my loadin'... 0430 ain't lookin' too likely for me either!

Edited to add: NOW I see the value in an electric case trimmer! On the list of MUST buy!
I'm glad you decided not to interrupt my beautiy sleep Griff! I need all I can get!
Ricky

DWWC
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
1400 with a 170 gr. cast won't be any good for the rams unless you hit them high or on the rump.

But who really cares, as I go to these matches to have fun and to make fun of others who don't have the necessary loads to shoot the rams. :D --------------Sixgun :D
1400? According to my ballistics calculator, my handloads don't drop below 1400fps until they're somewhere close to 250 yards downrange! And with a bit over 600flbs of retained energy, I think the rams will be trouble... if they're hit up high or on the rump... or maybe even a shot in the horn!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote:

1400? According to my ballistics calculator, my handloads don't drop below 1400fps until they're somewhere close to 250 yards downrange! And with a bit over 600flbs of retained energy, I think the rams will be trouble... if they're hit up high or on the rump... or maybe even a shot in the horn!
Griff, I should have clarified myself. The other guys comments stuck in my pea brain. But...........on the other hand, I have seen many rams not go over with 150 AND 170 30-30's at full velocity. The national champion, Al Faust was shooting at our club last year and he dinged 8 rams with his 30-30 using 150 Sierras. man! He was HOT! He said he's never coming back to Atglen Club. Good! It raises a peon like me up one notch. :D

It depend on how the setters put them on the rail. Sometimes these kids put the whole foot on and at our club, the rails are leaning in. (yea, we need to fix that) I have dinged more than one ram with 270 gr 38-55's and 270 gr. 40-65s at 1500. last month I had no issues with the 348 with a 215 cast at 1600 made from pure linotype. Those rams blew over instantly. 8 out of 10, my best on rams.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:

Griff, I should have clarified myself. The other guys comments stuck in my pea brain. But...........on the other hand, I have seen many rams not go over with 150 AND 170 30-30's at full velocity. The national champion, Al Faust was shooting at our club last year and he dinged 8 rams with his 30-30 using 150 Sierras. man! He was HOT! He said he's never coming back to Atglen Club. Good! It raises a peon like me up one notch. :D

It depend on how the setters put them on the rail. Sometimes these kids put the whole foot on and at our club, the rails are leaning in. (yea, we need to fix that) I have dinged more than one ram with 270 gr 38-55's and 270 gr. 40-65s at 1500. last month I had no issues with the 348 with a 215 cast at 1600 made from pure linotype. Those rams blew over instantly. 8 out of 10, my best on rams.-----------6

There is always a little element of luck involved with the rams falling down, regardless of how much science, thought and marksmanship you put into it. I shoot 125 grain Sierras in my 30-30 (yes, I know, I load them thru the magazine but one at a time) move 'em right along with 30 grains of 3031. Anyway, a guy was razzing me one day that the load would not knock down a ram , bullet too light dontcha know. I dumped 6 and then hit one right in the front leg knee, it just stood there and glared at me to the delight of the razzer, who was up on the rams on the next relay with his much-touted 45-70. He too dumped six and then hit my exact same target in the exact same same knee area, it just stood there and glared at him. He has been pretty quiet ever since!! :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:
Griff wrote:
No need to apologize, although I nearly had a fit when I read that... 1400.... sheesh!
Now that I have some ammo... in looking at the listing of Cowboy Lever Action shoots... I might have slim down the gun list I carry and limit the ammo... I can do this! Atglen, huh?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!