Colt Lightning Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
texas1894
Levergunner

Colt Lightning Rifle

Post by texas1894 »

Yesterday, I acquired a Colt Lightning rifle in 44-40. The old gal was made in 1891 and she has a bulge about 12 inches down the round barrel. I looked in the bore and there is a ring where the bulge is. The barrel measure 22.5 inches which does not match what I have studied on.

I would like to have some advice on this as to whether leave it alone and be happy looking at it, or re-barrel it. If re-barrel, I could use some pointers on who to send it to for this.

The wood is really nice, and the function seems to be very sound. It was a trade and I own it right enough to spend some money on it making it better.
thanks
texas1894
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Lightning Rifle

Post by jdad »

1. Have you tried shooting it? If the bore still has rifling and looks ok, after cleaning it, leave it as it is.

2. It would be cheaper to have a liner put in. $300, for a liner, or $700-$1000, for a non-factory barrel replacement. Re-line would be John Taylor. www.johntaylormachine.com

My .02.....it's a "shooter". Take it out and see what it does, at 50yds. There is no collector value, in it's current condition, so enjoy it for what it is.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Welcome Tex, I think instead of a rebarrel I would opt for a Reline. That way U save all original markings of the Gun it came on. Plus the Blue or lack thereof will match also. Just My opinion and others will chime in. So kick back, grab a stump and cup-o-joe and wait for the rest of the Gang.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Welcome aboard. What a great piece of history to have. John Taylor is a class act. Lots of guys are than happy with his work. I agree with shooting it 1st. If for nothing else, to see the improvement relining had over the original barrel. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Charlie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Charlie »

If you send it out for re-lining, look for someone who knows what he is doing.

I would go for "John Taylor" on this one also.

Charlie
Last edited by Charlie on Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Welcome.. here's my two cents worth...One of the best shooting old guns I once had was one with a damaged bore... Someone had stuck a bullet in the barrel and tried to drill it out... A quarter inch of the rifling was actually gone where the drill had wondered off center and also left a crater slightly below groove depth... The rifle was an M1871 11mm Mauser single shot bolt action...At first, using the then hard to find (1970) factory 11mm Mauser CIL ammo and later, home brewed reduced smokeless loads I gleaned from a Geo. Nonte article, that rifle was beer can accurate @ 100 yds and farther all day long... ...I could bounce cans all over the place with it...a real fun gun!!
My intention at first when I got it for cheap, was to lop off the barrel just in back of the damaged area to get it up to snuff and see what she'd do, but an old guy I knew (my Dad :lol: told me I might be surprised what it might do with the barrel like was and to go ahead and shoot it as is before doing anything... I never looked back!!! So, after all that long winded blather, I say go ahead and give her a try like the other fellas here have suggested before you do anything.... :lol: :lol:
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I'd shoot it first to see what it would do before I considered reline or rebarrel !

With that being said I own a circa 1905 Winchester 1894TD in 30 WCF that has a sewer pipe for a barrel . The thing however will shoot jacketed handloads at 50 yards with open sights in small cloverleafs !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well Tex, as the boys here have said, shoot it. Give her a good cleaning and send a cast bullet down the bore that's a thou. over.

Rule of thumb on guns.-- (and about most things in life) I am not condescending on your gun but here's the facts and one fact is your gun looks like it has seen a lot of use. Why spend 3 or 4 c-notes on a reline when you really don't even know if the gun has other issues such as excessive headspace or other worn parts. The barrels been cut and a new dovetail has been cut to make the 3/4 mag tube work. Then someone tried his talents on the checkering job on the buttstock. The forearm checkering is right. You don't want to put a new engine in a 73 Chevy that has a bent frame.

We have all been there and done that. Until you know the mechanics of the rest of the gun, leave it alone and shoot it first as once you spend $300 on this, then its $500 on that and on and on and before you know it, you spent more money on it than what you could have bought a nice shooting example on.

I must tell 'ya though, I've had a mess of those Lightnings over the years and they are a blast to shoot. I got 'em in all three calibers (for the medium frame) and they shoot as well or better than the old Winchesters.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Six gun , you ever had any if the large frame Lightnings ? Always thought one in 50-95 would be cool !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charlie wrote:If you send it out for re-lining, look for someone who knows what he is doing.
I would go for "John Taylor" on this one also.
Charlie
+1.

And I'll add a belated Image and Welcome to the Forum!

Now, if you're inclined to replace that barrel... if it were me, I'd opt for a total restoration. A' la Turnbull!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6pt-sika wrote:Six gun , you ever had any if the large frame Lightnings ? Always thought one in 50-95 would be cool !
No, I never did. They fall under the same group as 1876 Winchesters in my experience. I find 'em either pristine at 5-7 g's or junk at 1500. I ain't buying junk no more just to have one. If I could find a decent solid specimen of either with an excellent bore for 25 to 35 I might go for it. Then it would also have to be in a cool caliber, like a 45-85. Junk 50-95's bring 3-5 g's------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:Six gun , you ever had any if the large frame Lightnings ? Always thought one in 50-95 would be cool !
No, I never did. They fall under the same group as 1876 Winchesters in my experience. I find 'em either pristine at 5-7 g's or junk at 1500. I ain't buying junk no more just to have one. If I could find a decent solid specimen of either with an excellent bore for 25 to 35 I might go for it. Then it would also have to be in a cool caliber, like a 45-85. Junk 50-95's bring 3-5 g's------------6
I had a chance about eight years ago to get a 1876 in 50-95 for about $6500 that was in pretty decent shape and had a good shootable bore . At the time I didn't have the money , oh well one cannot have them all :lol:
texas1894
Levergunner

Post by texas1894 »

:D Thanks to all who commented and I have decided to shoot it and see how she does before deciding to make a nice wall hanger. The barrel actually cleaned up pretty good inside, and the ring is noticeable, but not intrusive. I will try to post how she did.

I have learned a little more and appreciate the education from all you guys.

Texas1894