Tang Sight Advice Needed for my Browning 1886 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Tang Sight Advice Needed for my Browning 1886 SRC

Post by KirkD »

I have a Browning 45-70 Model 1886 Saddle Ring Carbine. I would like to install a tang sight on it (I know I will have to have the forward hole drilled and tapped in the upper tang). I am looking at two possibilities:

Lyman #2: https://www.buffaloarms.com/Lyman_Tang_ ... x?CAT=4068

Marbles tang sight for the 86: https://www.buffaloarms.com/Marbles_Tan ... x?CAT=4069

I'm leaning toward the Marbles because of that extra windage (?) adjustment knob on the sight.

Question: Which would you recommend as far as quality? (I don't want the post to be loose; I want nice tight tolerances and durability.)

Last edited by KirkD on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tang Sight Advice Needed for my Browning 86 SRC

Post by jnyork »

I would buy the Marbles just for the fact it has click adjustments and has windage as well as elevatlion adjustments. I have a Lyman on one rifle and often wonder what I was thinking when I bought it.
Before you D&T that rifle for the second attachment screw, try just using the screw that replaces the original tang screw. I have 4 rifles with the Marbles tang sight installed in this manner and they work just fine. I know several others that have gone thir route as well. I even know a guy who cut off the head of the second screw and epoxied it into the hole so it would look "right". You will be well satisfied with the quality of the Marbles sight, and if something goes wrong they will fix it at no charge forever.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I would be very happy if I did not have to D&T an extra hole in the tang. I will definitely try the one-screw method idea.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I prefer the Lyman, as I feel it's studier versus the Marble's. While the Marble's has click adjustments, it's just not as "solid" feeling as the Lyman, which has a lock adjustment to set the sight for height.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I have a Marbles tang sight on my 1951 94 30-30. I bought the rifle for my dad and he had it put on in 1958. It has never lost it's zero, still hits where I aim. I have hauled that rifle all over the country when I was working construction.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Kirk,
I went with the Marbles because of the windage adjustment...
I drilled and tapped the extra hole.....
I mount the Marbles peeps, with both the holes behind the upright, with only the rear screw on Marlins, but haven't tried that with the long base models..

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

You guys and your carbines , i want one :mrgreen:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

KirkD wrote:I would be very happy if I did not have to D&T an extra hole in the tang. I will definitely try the one-screw method idea.
I mounted a tang sight on my 86EL, using only the tang screw.

I tried it because the underside of the tang sight base had the same shape (but concave) as the top of the tang (convex), letting them mate perfectly - and my EL was a High Grade that I didn't want to D/T.

I had no issues with unwarranted sight movement, in 4 hunting seasons use that way, before I sold the rifle - but I suppose if one was unsure, a little easily-removed adhesive under the sight base would put their mind at ease.

I prefer the Lyman to the Marble's because IMO the Lyman stem's beefier than the somewhat spindly Marble's stem.

Although YMMV, for me the Marble's click windage adjustment was wasted money, once the rifle was zeroed - since I'm a "set-'n-forget" kinda guy, when it comes to sights.

Both brands adjust for elevation the same way, if it ever needed (like for shooting silly-wets) - and it's fairly simple to adjust the windage on the Lyman during initial zeroing via slipping a BCS (beer can shim ;) ) under the appropriate side of the base. (The shim is easily camoed with a black Sharpie)

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Tang Sight Advice Needed for my Browning 1886 SRC

Post by Shasta »

A lever action rifle with a tang sight is always a plus in my book. I would not hesitate to drill & tap a Browning 1886 for correct tang sight mounting.
Now, as for which sight I would choose, well, I am a huge fan of the Marble's, simply because windage adjustment is very handy when precise aim counts. Yep, definitely a Marble's!!

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum, Shasta! You ARE a huge fan of Marbles' tang sites! Nice rack of levers!! :o
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have three Marbles tang sights fitted to various lever guns, I have had no issues with them at all. The windage adjustment is a huge plus in my mind :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

KirkD wrote:By gum, Shasta! You ARE a huge fan of Marbles' tang sites! Nice rack of levers!! :o
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, that windage adjustment is causing me to start to lean in the direction of the Marbles for my 1886 SRC. How solid are these Marbles sights? Is there play in them?
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Shasta wrote:A lever action rifle with a tang sight is always a plus in my book. I would not hesitate to drill & tap a Browning 1886 for correct tang sight mounting.
Now, as for which sight I would choose, well, I am a huge fan of the Marble's, simply because that windage adjustment is very handy when precise aim counts. Yep, definitely a Marble's!!

SHASTA
SHASTA, you take the First Place Picture Prize today...Wow!!! Can you identify the models for us?

I hope you will post MORE PHOTOS of your lever action rifles!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Kirk,
The older version Marble's sights have the elevation stem made in a single adjustable unit. The "New Improved" version uses an elevation stem unit separate from the base that has a set screw holding it in place, and you can quickly change elevation stems for shorter or taller versions. In concept, it is a great idea, but I find that the "New Improved" stems will have very soft detent clicks if the stem is not inserted as deeply as possible and the set screw tightened firmly into the base unit.
I prefer the older sights, but it often happens that the stems on them are too short for sight adjustment out to 200 meters. It is possible to change out the stem for a taller one:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=4102

SHASTA

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent link! Now I'm uncertain. Not sure about 'very soft detent clicks' or how tall the stem will be if I order the one for the 1886.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

mod71alaska wrote:
Shasta wrote:A lever action rifle with a tang sight is always a plus in my book. I would not hesitate to drill & tap a Browning 1886 for correct tang sight mounting.
Now, as for which sight I would choose, well, I am a huge fan of the Marble's, simply because that windage adjustment is very handy when precise aim counts. Yep, definitely a Marble's!!

SHASTA
SHASTA, you take the First Place Picture Prize today...Wow!!! Can you identify the models for us?

I hope you will post MORE PHOTOS of your lever action rifles!

Ask and ye shall receive. Near to far they are:

USRAC Winchester 1886 Take-down in .45-70, Lee Shaver eyepiece
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40 made in 1880, Merit adjustable aperture eyepiece
Winchester Model 94 Legacy in .38-55 octagon with Merit adjustable aperture eyepiece
Marlin Cowboy 24" in .44 Magnum
Winchester Model 94 octagon in .32-40, made in 1906
Browning Model 53 in .32-20
Winchester Model 92 octagon in .32-20 made in 1929
Cimarron Winchester Model 1873 in .32-20 with Merit adjustable aperture eyepiece
Winchester Model 94 1894-1994 commemorative in .30-30
Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial in .30-30 with Merit adjustable aperture eyepiece
Winchester Model 92 octagon Take-down in .25-20 made in 1905
Winchester Model 92 octagon in .25-20 made in 1907
Taurus Model 62LA stainless in .22 LR
Marlin Model 39A made in 1955

These rifles are all set up for the sports of NRA Cowboy Lever Action Rifle, Cowboy Lever Action Pistol Cartridge, and Cowboy Lever Action Smallbore Silhouette shooting. I am a AAA Class shooter in the Rifle category, and a Master Class shooter in both Pistol Cartridge and Smallbore. I highly recommend anyone interested in shooting leverguns try these NRA competitions if they are held in your area.

SHASTA

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

KirkD wrote:Excellent link! Now I'm uncertain. Not sure about 'very soft detent clicks' or how tall the stem will be if I order the one for the 1886.
Kirk, The folks at Marble's will work with you if you have a problem. If I were you, I would order their Standard Peep Tang Sight for Browning 1886, sight number 009806, with screw set #995013:

http://www.marblearms.com/standardPeepTang_info.html

edit- The good folks at Buffalo Arms Co. can set you up. They are great to deal with.

SHASTA

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Kirk,

One other thing you need to keep in mind is RECOIL. My tang-sighted 1886 causes no problem when I shoot 300 grain cast lead bullets, but the 405 grain has enough recoil to make the tang sight bump into my eyeglasses, folding the sight slightly forward so that it has to be straightened back upright for the next shot. For that reason, I also drilled and tapped my rifle to take a Lyman 56 receiver sight to be used for hunting purposes or shooting heavy loads. I simply remove the tang sight and install the receiver sight. If your main use for your Browning is hunting, a receiver sight would be much better. Take a look at the Lyman Model 21 reproduction made by Providence Tool Company and sold by Buffalo Arms. They are a really cool sight. I have one on my Browning 1895 .30-40.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Lyman_21_Sig ... x?CAT=4096

SHASTA

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jnyork wrote:I would buy the Marbles just for the fact it has click adjustments and has windage as well as elevatlion adjustments. I have a Lyman on one rifle and often wonder what I was thinking when I bought it.
Before you D&T that rifle for the second attachment screw, try just using the screw that replaces the original tang screw. I have 4 rifles with the Marbles tang sight installed in this manner and they work just fine. I know several others that have gone thir route as well. I even know a guy who cut off the head of the second screw and epoxied it into the hole so it would look "right". You will be well satisfied with the quality of the Marbles sight, and if something goes wrong they will fix it at no charge forever.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of all that typing........Marbles..............1 screw............cut off screw head. I do epoxy the base to the tang after installing the one stock bolt. It will pop off with a little smack from a nylon hammer and does not hurt the bluing at all. ---------------Sixgun

Given the choice, I still prefer original Lymans or Marbles as I must have 50 of 'em, but for a modern hunting rifle, a modern Marbles works great.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a Marbles on the 1906 Winchester and it has been fine. I did not like the fit of a couple of the new Lyman #2s I saw although others were ok. I have an OLD #2 on the 62A and I like the Marbles for adjustability.

HOWEVER, I put a receiver sight on my SRC for the same reasons the tang sight was moribund in the aperture sight market for so long, they are better. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, Kirk,

Here are some pictures of my Browning 1886 carbine wearing a Marble's tang sight designed for the Winchester/Miroku 1886 with a tang safety. It's the standard sight, not the improved with interchangeable staffs. I have it mounted using only the tang screw, and I've had no problems with this arrangement. The staff is fairly tall, and the gun will reach beyond 200 meters.

The next pic shows the Browning's front sight with a replacement blade I made from a piece of nickel silver:

This last picture shows my Winchester 1886 rifle with an MVA Model 130 vernier tang sight. Occasionally I replace the Model 130 with an MVA mid-range soule sight (using the same base) that will allow the rifle to reach 800 yards and beyond. I've only shot it at 600 yards so far.

Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

KirkD wrote:Well, that windage adjustment is causing me to start to lean in the direction of the Marbles for my 1886 SRC. How solid are these Marbles sights? Is there play in them?
The Marbles is not, IMHO, as well made or as sturdy as the Lyman, and I have both. The windage feature is something I thought would be useful, but I never use it. I also prefer the Lyman because it is more tradition in appearance and in function, IMHO.

I guess, it depends to a large degree on how you use the rifle. If you plan to use the rifle for "long range" paper punching, then the adjustment on the Marbles may be of more use. Just my .02! :D However, I would add that I have both the Browing SRC and the 1886 Rifle. The carbine is hands down a better shooter, and the factory sporting leaf sight is dead on for me. I can hit 4 out of 5 on my 530 yard plate with the standard carbine sights. My rifle has a tang sight, and does not! :shock:

PS: I like CR's set up.....
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Like Grizzly Adams I have both Lyman and Marbles. My original 86 (1916, 45-90) came with the front hole already in it so it was just a matter of removing the blank and installing the sight. My Uberti 73 in 44-40 wears a Marbles as does my Win 92 in 32-20. There was a Lyman on my Rossi 92 in 44-40 when I bought it. I like them both and have had zero problems with either though the Lyman is very stiff to fold, no slack though. I would drill the hole in the Browning just to make it more like an old Winchester.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for all this input and the photos. That is all very helpful. Much appreciated men.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Kirk,

There are two other options in a hunting-style tang sight -- one windgauge, one not.

The first is the non-windgauge MVA Combination Rear Sight, similar to an original Marble's Flexible Joint Rear Sight:

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/combo_rear.html

The second is the windgauge Columbia Precision Tang Peep Sight:

http://www.columbiaprecision.com/

http://www.columbiaprecision.com/windage_elevation.htm

I have no experience with these sights, but MVA quality speaks for itself. And I have known two shooters who owned Columbia Precision sights, and both were pleased with them.

Good luck!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Now we are talking! ..... I think. Both the MVA and the Columbian precision sound like high quality sights. I don't see a price on the Columbia Precision, but that MVA is pricey ..... except when I think of what I paid for an original Lyman #2 for my original 1886. Then the MVA is cheap. I do like a quality instrument when it comes to aiming.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Kirk,

The last price I had seen for the Columbia Precision was $165. This was a few years ago, so doubtless it has gone up.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Looks like Columbia Precision has an Ebay store, and $165 is still the price:

http://stores.ebay.com/Columbia-Precisi ... Sight.html
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Woops! $185 for the tall sight that an 1886 would require.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Excellent. Thanks for that information
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

You bet, Kirk. Let us know what you decide.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well, I just ordered the MVA tang sight.