Winchester Mdl. 94 History

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester Mdl. 94 History

Post by Meeteetse »

I am trying to do some research on the Winchester Mdl. 94 and its variations. Specifically in the area of post WWII to 1964. I am trying to find information on the differences in models such as barrel bands, hooded front sights and other characteristics as well as serial number ranges for the time period.

At one time my Dad had three Mdl. 94's, all 30/30. One was late 1940's version, one early 1950's and another from the late 1950's to maybe 1962, but no newer than that. Pre-64 for sure. All were sold to someone outside the family, for reasons difficult to explain, and I would like to bring them back as close as I can. I can only remember a little about them since I was not very old myself during this time period, 1945 to 1960. I was first allowed to use one of the guns in my first hunting trip as a 14 yr. old in 1958, and they all looked alike to me.

Is there a good source for this type of information? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Dave
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Mdl. 94 History

Post by Pete44ru »

Everything you need to know is in Renneberg's book: http://www.amazon.com/Winchester-Model- ... 1440203911

twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello,

I will second the motion that Bob Renneberg's book is the best text for the numerous variations within the time period you are speaking of. You also might contact Bert Hartman on Gunbroker.com "Ask The Experts" forum. He is by far the most knowledgeable person on this subject at this time.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

+2 or 3 or what ever we're up to,
rennerberg did a fine job.
there are others like arthur pirkle's "winchester lever action repeating firearms vol.3"
or madis' "the winchester book"

good hunting. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Major changes were the "flat bands" of the late '40s with the flat checkered steel buttplate, then in '52 or '53 they went to the "short wood" forend, where the amount of wood ahead of forend band was shortened by about ½, and lastly or at that time they were drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. Those are exact dates or anything, just what I remember off the top of my head.

+4 on Renneberg. Madis is ok, but some of his info has been refuted.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Other than the above changes mentioned, variants were few. The long wood ended during the 51 production; most 51s are the shorter wood but many of the earlier forends made it through that year. Post War through 63 represented a significant slimming down of the 94 line compared to Pre War. Virtually all catalogued guns were 20" carbines (carbines typified by the round barrel, full magazine with bands). No more "trappers" (16" carbines), no more long (or short) rifles. There may be some special order exceptions in this period, which were many before WWII, but IIRC darn few. Also, again with perhaps some few exceptions, chamberings were limited to .30-30 and .32 Special.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Get the book. :wink:
I know a guy with over 400 1894s (that I know of) and doubt he has more than a few (very few) of the same one. There are always, it seems, variations on a model. Many such "variations were manufacturing changes and some/most may have started out from necessity (lack of parts) or a shop modification that took hold. What we today call "hidden factory".

The world of 1894s is full of surprises.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein