Cobra Mags 8 rds 1911 .45's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Cobra Mags 8 rds 1911 .45's

Post by JohndeFresno »

In preparation of taking possession of a new Para Ordinance Black Ops 1911 .45 pistol, I purchased two extra Cobra brand 8 round magazines. The new pistol requires 8 rounds inside its grip, for a total of 9 rounds when cocked and locked. These mags are pretty costly - a little more than a third more than most standard new 1911 magazines.

The quality is evident. The 8-rounders fit into the Colt 1911 (Series 70 MK IV) without any trouble.
In this overall view, you can see the familiar magazine catch notch in both magazines; my standard magazine (on the left) and the Cobra (on the right). The Cobra has numbers stamped by its counter holes, although my lighting did not do it justice.

This 1911 is loaded with the Cobra magazine. Note the sturdy base pad. It sure makes it easy to drive the magazine home in a hurry.

In this side view of of the magazines, you can see the contour of a much sturdier follower than the with the G.I. and standard magazines.

The top view illustrates the nice follower's contours and compares its more precise cradle versus the bent paperclip type follower of G.I. and standard issue magazines. The Cobra brand is on the left. I have not given these magazines an extended field test, but they load a bit more easily.

I like the very logical and easy to recognize code info stamped on the magazine and in the box, so that you are assured that you have the right magazine for the correct firearm. These new 8-rounders are stamped 8R-45-RG.

If you research these mags, you will note a premium price for this item. But it appears to be a nice product. I like that extra round - 9 rounds, now if 1 is in the chamber.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cobra Mags 8 rds 1911 .45's

Post by 86er »

Appears to be good stuff. One more round never hurt. That's two with a reload on ya. 10% increase in ammo. As long as the gun runs, the mags are worth it. Good luck with them!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Thanks for the report, look like good stuff.
NRA Life Member
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Does a fully loaded magazine seat easily in your 1911. I have some 8 round Les Baer mags that will take 8 rounds, but won't seat when fully loaded.

Thanks,

Paul
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Paul105 wrote:Does a fully loaded magazine seat easily in your 1911. I have some 8 round Les Baer mags that will take 8 rounds, but won't seat when fully loaded.

Thanks,

Paul
It loads well with Federal HST's when you give it a healthy (authoritative) nudge. Although I load and shoot other types, the HST's or else my handloaded Hornadys are my "serious" carry ammo. The spring is stout and you are dealing with 8 in the stack; but yes it seats as expected.

As noted, I did not try various other rounds or spend a day at the range, nor did I yet try any cast loads. I just shucked them out and loaded them in. But by all appearances this is a nice mag.

As for my .45 semi-auto choices, it seems like every month or so brings us a new "silver bullet" for the 9's, .40's, and .45's - as well as some other calibers. But after all of the dust has settled, and after following multi-agency law enforcement tests of various types, I believe that the Federal HST HP 230 gr. factory round traveling at 890 fps is hard to beat for an all around self defense projectile.

For urban defense where a little less penetration is desired, I like the Hornady 185 gr. #45100 HP-XTP loaded with 6.6 gr. Bullseye (Fed 150 LP primer) for an estimated 950 fps. That is MAX load per the Hornady manual, 8th and 9th Edition. I note that Hornady generally sets their maximum loads a bit lower than others do in their manuals, using the same bullets. I like the combination of reliable penetration and expansion that is a hallmark of Hornady components. I need to get the chronograph out and clock that one for the record!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good info John. Thanks for sharing! :D