44 years ago today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

44 years ago today

Post by Rusty »

I was standing on the beach in Melbourne, Fla as they began the countdown. I watched as Apollo 11 headed for that big green hunk of cheese in the sky. I remember hearing the roar and feeling the vibrations in my chest as that big Saturn V heavy lifter did it's thing. I've watched numerous space shuttle missions take off as well and they were mere bottle rockets in comparison.

Anybody else remember that day?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 44 years ago today

Post by olyinaz »

I do! I finally got a chance last week to look at an Apollo moon rock up close (as close as I could get with my nose pressed to the case...until a Nazi guard hollered at me for being TOO close...I guess my breath has the Superman like ability to pass through an inch of plexiglass and melt basalt and olivine!) :roll: An image for your enjoyment, straight from the surface of the Moon!

I will forever be jealous that you got to actually SEE the launch! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Wow..... 8) IIRC, there were about 12 of us gathered around the only color tv on the street..... :lol: One of those 19" big screen Zeniths.... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Didn't get to see any of the moon in person, but I did get to see the launch of Skylab from Cocoa Beach. A lot more thrust than the space shuttle 7.6 million lbs of thrust verses 4.4 for the shuttle..
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Saw a bit of moon rock in April at the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, interesting place :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When they used the Saturn Vs to launch with you could actually feel shock waves. I remember having tears roll down my cheeks. It was awesome!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Was just a little kid but remember it like it was yesterday. It was trully the time of America's greatness,It's promise of oppurtunity for EVERBODY, not the ruling class. What the hell happened? :cry:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I was 9 and all we had was a crappy B&W Magnavox TV, also watched Neal Armstrong take that first step onto the moon surface.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I remember it very well. Never saw a Saturn five light off live but did see several shuttles leave Tera ferma for their missions. Amazing events.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot