Henry Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Henry Rifles

Post by Marlin32 »

Just curious if anyone has experience or opinions on the New Henry's.
The new Marlins right now are awful, but IF I were to do a cartridge conversion of some kind, is the Henry up for it??
Say having one built in 356 win ?
or if I ever get around to necking up my 338 Marlin to 348, could I use a henry to do that?

Or is it better to get an old Marlin.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Henry Rifles

Post by RIHMFIRE »

why not just buy a 356 winchester...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Long action or Short action...???

I'd not fret over something like going from 44 Mag to 357/44 B&D, or whatever it is that is a 357 Mag necked down to 30 caliber. Probably same for a 7mm Waters from a 30-30 Win.

Others more experienced will likely chime in.

I'd keep on the lookout for a used Marlin, in the meantime, or pick up a new 'Remlin' - BUT MAKE SURE YOU HANDLE IT before you buy it. Seems like most of the flaws are spotty and easy to detect.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like the Henry's alot. I converted a H009 short, round barrel from 30-30 to 35-30 cal. Grizzly cartridge was sent my dies to form brass and work up loads. They've got me with 180 grain XTP's (.357 diameter) going 2440 fps and 1.75" groups at 100 yards. They've got 200 grain Rem Core-Lokt (.358 diameter) going 2310 fps and 1.25" groups at 100 yards. These may be max loads and we (you and I) may not be able to duplicate them exactly with the commercial powder we can access but we can get close.

My second Henry is the long, octagon barrel and remains a 30-30. With open sights and a good rest, doing my job properly I can get 1" groups with certain ammo. The gun is kind of heavy at 8 lbs but points and carries very well. I am leaving this one as is because I do not have another 30-30 and really like this one.

We also have 3 Henry .22 rimfire lever rifles. Two are H001Y and one is H001 ( the youth length and the rifle sized). These are tack drivers with a number of ammo types and very smooth and reliable.

I'd like a 357 mag caliber Henry and wouldn't turn down the right deal on a 45 Colt. I am going to try the 45-70 for review, but I have already invested a lot of time, effort and memories into my 1886 Win and will not be trading in one for the other.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I've often wondered if that heavy, octagon rifle wouldn't carry and point even better bored out to .38-55? That sure sounds like a sweet hammer to me.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

I just got the 44 Hennry and love it I put on a 4X bushnell scope on it grate gun
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

35-30, so just necking up the 30-30 case? Getting 2300 with 200gr, nothing to sneeze at for sure.

How are the triggers on these guns and can they be improved or lightened up if necessary.

That is my hang up with the Win 356. Had one in 307 years ago, trigger was the worst on any gun I have ever owned.

I would like to make my own, like the idea of a 24" octagon barrel on it.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

The triggers on the long action centerfires are very nice. The octagaon barrel has a 5lb 2 oz trigger that is clean and smooth out of the box. The round barrel model had a 6 lb 0 oz trigger that has two gritty spots. I had the trigger mechanism smoothed and lightened and it is now 3 lb 7oz and a clean break.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Tried 35030 (32) on quick load, could not get those numbers with several powders.
Not sure what they are using.

Still, from the software, I can get 2500 (and real close to that with several powders)
from a 338 Marlin Express case necked up to 348 (220gr Barnes fp)

That may get the job done, even out to 300yards. Not much more, but in a pinch, I would do 300 yds with those ballistics.

Even the Barnes 250gr looks good. Especially closer in, that would be a hammer.

I tried necking up to 375 but was disappointed, the .348 better BC, etc still out did the 375

The 358 on the 338 case works pretty darn good as well, similar to the 348.

I guess, unless I can find another decent Marlin 338ME, I was going to see if someone would convert a Henry to a 348-Marlin express. Lots of money etc, I know, just looking to see what is possible.