Man Cave construction is underway.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Man Cave construction is underway.

Post by TedH »

I've just got started finishing my basement. I was doing some framing and had an idea to use the space under the stairs to house my safe, to save space. It's going to be a long project because I'm just going to do all the work myself as time and funds allow, but I'm getting excited to have it done finally. Already know how I'm going to finish the walls, the paint, the color of the carpet, etc. It's all in my head, just have to make it reality now, and turn it into the ultimate man cave. It's going to have a full bath, and another bedroom, so I won't have to go upstairs at all except for food! :lol:

NRA Life Member
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Man Cave construction is underway.

Post by BenT »

Nice! :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sweet
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've always wanted to just take a decent sized space, line it with steel, add insulation, another layer of steel, and put a safe "door" as an entry! Sort of a walk-in closet for guns!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Looks great. Are you going to have a hidden door or some other type of way of hiding the safe? Out of sight, out of mind.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm impressed, and :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice installation!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well done. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:I've always wanted to just take a decent sized space, line it with steel, add insulation, another layer of steel, and put a safe "door" as an entry! Sort of a walk-in closet for guns!
Browning (and probably others) makes just the door for you. Two versions, actually - one looks (and is) just like a safe door and surrounding frame, and the other has the same guts but is 'disguised' as a regular door with hardwired remote/concealed access.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Looking good Ted :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Griff wrote:I've always wanted to just take a decent sized space, line it with steel, add insulation, another layer of steel, and put a safe "door" as an entry! Sort of a walk-in closet for guns!

That was my original thought too. I have the perfect place for it, in one corner of the basement there's an area that's 10x12 with three sides concrete walls. I lost out on the walk in gun room, it's going to be the bedroom for now, at least till the kids are gone. :(
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Good stuff Ted!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

TedH wrote: It's going to have a full bath, and another bedroom, so I won't have to go upstairs at all except for food! :lol:

[]

plumb in a small bar and an over the counter microwave with a small fridge --- you wont even have to go upstairs
----- Doug
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

It looks really good! :mrgreen:

I think maybe that safe is too small though... :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

TedH wrote:

. I lost out on the walk in gun room, it's going to be the bedroom for now, at least till the kids are gone. :(

Cant you just double bunk 'em? :lol:
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

Nice start on your Mancave. If it was mine I would have made the entire area under the stairwell available for more/lager safes and made the opening the safe is in now a hinged swing out bookcase to disguise the opening. But then again I am not building it. Good luck on the project.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

TedH Very nice.. 8) 8) 8) 8) I'm jealous! :)
Griff.. A shootin' buddy I used to know did just about exactly what you're talking about... He had a double car garage built with a basement.. when the basement was dug, before the garage part was built over it, he put in 3 walls of concrete filled cinder block... The fourth wall was plate steel from a 2nd hand steel vault he'd got at an auction that included the walk in vault door (pin striped even!), complete with a spin dial combination lock! When all was done you walked down the stairs to it and what you saw was a for real vault...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
1894c

Post by 1894c »

just a thought...i'd totally hide the safe with a false wall/door...been to three burglaries recently where the gun safes were completely removed...the common denominator was that all three were NOT bolted to the floor or wall...I do like your location though...great idea... :)
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Mine is bolted down, and there will be framing over the top of the safe at the front and rear as well. I'm not going to say it won't be able to be stolen, but they will have to take some time, and make a lot of noise in the process.
NRA Life Member
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Ted!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Didn't you just get married? I didn't need a man cave for a couple of years after I married my wife. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

THATS the way to do it Ted! Good move. :D I did almost the exact same thing back in '75 except I could not afford a real good safe until around 1990.........but then again, "safes" were not much talked about until the eighties. ("fear" sells) :D

When a safe is in the basement, its not going to be carried out by bad people.....unless you have a basement entry. I'd like to see someone carry out my 2K lb safe up 14 steps after getting past my security system, #6 bear trap, my dogs, my crazy Italian wife.......and then me. If they want them that bad, they will wait until they have the drop on you outside somewhere and the pistol will be pointed at your head, but that's another story.

Over the years I have heard it many times, "How long are you gonna stay down there??????" I reply, "OK, I'm coming up......next time I'll get my solitude in a bar" It kinda keeps 'em inline for a couple of months.

After you finish up the gunroom, it will be time to take over the other side of the basement for casting, complete with a huge exhaust fan and storage bins for wheelweights and tin. Then you can slowly migrate to different corners of the basement for storage of camping gear, gun cases, unused reloading tools, hunting boots, chairs for visiting buddies, old gun magazines, etc. Do this slowly, over a period of several years as not to arise suspicion of "taking over the basement". My wife does not complain anymore as I still saved her the spot for the washing machine and the lone shelf for the Tide. :D

Yea, life is great, especially if your a male. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD